Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Roll Up, Roll Up; Check Out Philips' Rollable Display!

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=5708

Remember Philips' rollable display which I posted on back in September? Geekzone now has a set of 'real-life' images for show-and-tell, so head over there to check it out for yourself. The one above shows a Windows Mobile Settings page on a 100�m-thick 5" Polymer Vision PV-QML5. For the moment, the QVGA (240 x 320) display is grayscale and isn't a touch screen, but the future is definitely here, and it's only a matter of time before we'll start seeing rollable colour touch screens being used in PDAs.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 PM
GadgetGirl
Pupil

Sweet, I want.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Can't wait til we see foldable Pocket PC Phones running WM7 with built in holographic keyboards.

Back to earth though we're sitll 3 years away from seeing color devices--especially from mobile phone carriers. But its nice to see working models.

(That pic reminds me of my old Philips Nino 500 and Cassiopea!)

Old 01-09-2006, 11:18 PM
bbarker
Philosopher
Default Re: Roll Up, Roll Up; Check Out Philips' Rollable Display!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
The one above shows a Windows Mobile Settings page on a 100�m-thick 5" Polymer Vision PV-QML5.
What is a "�m"?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 PM
lithium
Pupil

One �m, or micrometer, is a measure of length, equal to a millionth of a meter.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:51 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Roll Up, Roll Up; Check Out Philips' Rollable Display!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarker
What is a "�m"?
Micrometer - 1/1000 of a mm (millimeter) or 1/1 000 000 of a meter. Basically, a very small distance.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

<quivver>

Oh this is a great time to be a PPC geek

Old 01-10-2006, 04:06 AM
jlp
Pontificator

I DON'T see how this would be practical for a PPC!!

Think a minute folks: imagine you have a tiny device say the size of your two thumbs (about 3 inches long); you take the two halves apart and the screen unrolls. Fine but:

1) where would you put components in such a tiny device ? (battery, memory slot, graphic chips, BT, Wifi, connectors, stylus silo, etc.)
2) it would need to be quite rigid if you want to hold the device comfortably in your hand and use the stylus with the other one: thus taking space
3) the digitizer is already quite thin but the screen needs to be rigidified as well so you can interact with it: it needs material that takes space too.

Maybe in 10 years when battry will be super tiny and extra powerful and all the CPU and IO components will be grouped into a tiny chip.

Looking back 10 years and I can see the battry volume hasn't gone down in size. You never know where tech advance can lead, but I wouldn't bet on that.

PPCs can do with thinner screens but rollable ones means the components in between both end rolls have vanished and I can't see that happening any time soon.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:08 AM
jlp
Pontificator

And where do you put the backlight? side (or top or bottom) LEDs and a reflecting back panel.

That takes space as well !!

Old 01-10-2006, 04:10 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

I can easily picture a device that looks like a roll of quarters. You pull your screen out of the side, and a (sprung wire frame?) mechanism pulls out with it, giving a rigid frame to the screen.