Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default BCD-SD with LCD at CES. L337!

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/05/a...-displaying_sd/

Over the past year, we've seen some bizarre cross-breeding in the world of memory cards and this is definitely one of the more interesting end-products. So, here's how it goes. The BCD-SD is an 80x-speed SD card with an integrated LCD that displays the card's remaining space. Inserting the card into a device helps keep it charged, which as a concept, seems mind-boggling. "Charging" a memory card?

If you've decided that you absolutely must have one, then it's worth noting that the BCD-SD will be available in five great flavours: 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:40 PM
dma1965
Thinker

It seems that this would not be a great idea for a PDA or phone. Although it probably does not require much power, it will constantly place a drain on the battery when it is inserted. This definitely strikes me as a WBIC product.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:49 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: BCD-SD with LCD at CES. L337!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey

it's worth noting that the BCD-SD will be available in five great flavours: 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB.
Not to mention bubble gum and cotton candy.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:50 PM
CrashX
Ponderer

Cool, yes. But I like Lexar's method better.
They use electronic paper which does not require power to maintain the display. Granted, the Lexar device is a USB thumb drive, and not a flash card, but I bet the same could be done with flash memory.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:00 PM
saru83
Thinker

this is just soo cool , i wonder how usefull will this be for a PPC user but i bet there would be some usefull uses for this kind of Flash Cards.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:34 PM
rocky_raher
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
"Charging" a memory card?
What's so odd about charging a memory card? I almost never pay cash for one. :-)

I'd love to have an SD card with an LCD display that I could program, if only to use as a label for the card. I number my SD cards, but most of mine have a glossy surface that won't hold a ballpoint pen or felt-tip pen mark very well. I would like to be able to display "SD 12" or "Music 3" on a card.

How do others label your CD cards? Does any company manufacture SD card labels you can paste on an SD and write on, similar to the floppy labels we used to use? They'd have to be extremely thin, as there isn't much clearance in an SD card slot.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:25 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky_raher
I'd love to have an SD card with an LCD display that I could program, if only to use as a label for the card. I number my SD cards, but most of mine have a glossy surface that won't hold a ballpoint pen or felt-tip pen mark very well. I would like to be able to display "SD 12" or "Music 3" on a card.
Oh, e-labelling would be an awesome use for it. I doubt these BCD-SDs support it yet though. Maybe fast-forward a year and we'll see them.

Quote:
How do others label your CD cards? Does any company manufacture SD card labels you can paste on an SD and write on, similar to the floppy labels we used to use? They'd have to be extremely thin, as there isn't much clearance in an SD card slot.
I mentally label my cards, but if I had to do it physicaly, I'd probably grab a piece of tape, stick it on, then write on it.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:13 AM
jlp
Pontificator

That's ONE MORE reason to abhor, hate and despise miniSD and microSD cards :twisted:.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:55 AM
stevelam
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp
That's ONE MORE reason to abhor, hate and despise miniSD and microSD cards :twisted:.
Do we really need any more? :lol:

Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Mark Johnson
Theorist

Quote:
I'd love to have an SD card with an LCD display that I could program, if only to use as a label for the card.
Rocky, you're a genius! That would be WAY useful for those of us trying to keep track of which SD card is primarily used for what. I've got a bunch of cards laying around.

But I also agree that the eInk "paper" technology (like on the Lexar) is far better than LCD for this since it uses NO power at all to display/retain the image.

All the OEMs would need to do is specify that if you put "label.txt" or "logo.png" on the root of the SD card, it will be read and displayed. It would be nice for people putting demo or release software out for the PPC platform on SD cards. You could label "short production runs" without having to deal with sticky labels. (Obviously on large runs it would be cheaper to do sticky labels, but "custom apps" could delivered on an SD card that has your company logo and the software name/version instead of just saying Sandisk on it.)

Cool idea Rocky!