Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default How Often Do You Sync Your Pocket PC?

With the release of Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2, which allowed me to synchronize my tasks over the air, I find myself syncing with my desktop less often. I am a huge Task user and have been waiting for this for years. I'd rather forgo appointment and contact sync as those are relatively static while my tasks are updated/completed/added dozens of times a day. I noticed yesterday it had been 2 days since I had docked my K-Jam and I wasn't really itching to do so, I just took the opportunity to charge rather than using the wall wart next to my bed that I usually use. My files do change, but syncing is largely to back up the files. The only files I really share between the PC and PPC are ListPro and HanDBase files. Other files just don't change often enough or are rarely if ever opened on my PC. I gave up Notes long ago because, to use a technical term, it sucks. Favorites never change much either. If it weren't for ListPro, I could probably go days or even weeks without syncing to my desktop, letting everything important sync automatically with my Exchange server.

For those of you working on your own or not tied to a corporate solution, if you don't have Exchange 2003 SP2 available to you and would like to see what it can really do, give 4Smartphone a try. It is an Exchange hosting company and for $3.99 a month, you can store 500MB of data on the server, syncing recent emails with your PDA and use Outlook Web Access, or for $6.99 a month, use Outlook 2003 and desktop synchronization. If I didn't have Exchange, I'd do this in a heartbeat. (And yeah, I know, if WiFi sync still worked in ActiveSync 4.x, many of you would sync more often, but let's move past that. Let it go. 2006 is a new year and it won't work then either. Ohmmmmmmmmm... feel the bad energy float out of your body... ohmmmmmmmmmmmmm)

Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

I used to leave my Pocket PC cradled when I was at home/not using it, but now that I have a Smartphone as well as a Pocket PC, I really only sync before I leave for a long time. I really wish Microsoft would fix that issue and allow me to sync multiple devices at the same time. Oh and how about getting rid of ActiveSync while you're at it. Vista anyone? Hopefully...

Old 12-28-2005, 11:46 PM
cybrwulf
Pupil

I am also a 4smartphone user and I sync my Samsung i730 througout the day. I see that you say tasks can be synced now... Is that a WM5 feature? Or am I missing something?

Old 12-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

While I'm at work I sync my PDA atleast once with my work computer via Intellisync. I sync with 4smartphone several times during the day to check for email.

The WM2003SE version of push email is sometimey (mostly not working) with my Smartphone.

I still sync my PDA with my home desktop for PhatNotes, SPB Finance (Quicken), tasks, and files (Soti).

I'm sure those things wont go away even when I upgrade one of my devices to WM5.0

All the desktop syncing is with my PDA. My smartphone never touches a desktop these days unless I find some rare software program that I want to install, but even that hasn't happened in several months.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 12-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrwulf
I see that you say tasks can be synced now... Is that a WM5 feature? Or am I missing something?
Task sync requires both WM5 and Exchange 2003 Sp2. This is one feature of SP2 that doesn't also require the yet-to-be-seen MSFP. Actually, the MSFP will be cool, but for me, not near as cool as task sync has been.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 AM
cybrwulf
Pupil

Thanks for the reply Ed. Now this only makes me want that WM5 upgrade for my i730 even more. Hopefully Verizon and Samsung can do better releasing that in February than they handled the i700 debacle.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner753
The WM2003SE version of push email is sometimey (mostly not working) with my Smartphone.
Do you mean Exchange SMS push? It's super-reliable for me, either on my WM5 Pocket PC or WM2003 (First Edition) Smartphone.

--janak

Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner753
Do you mean Exchange SMS push? It's super-reliable for me, either on my WM5 Pocket PC or WM2003 (First Edition) Smartphone.

--janak
It may not be exchange. I often check AS on my smartphone and see there was a connectivity error. Though I've been in coverage. If I do a manual sync then it works fine.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:03 AM
kellybelly
Pupil

I'm a Mac user ... I have used PocketMac in the past to sync, but it slowed down my machine quite a bit besides causing some messes with appointments. It was too much of a hassle to sync since I'd spend a lot of time fixing what PM screwed up. I use my PPC as my main appointment/calendar/contact manager, and just send things over to my Mac via bluetooth if I think I need it on both machines.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:07 AM
jeffmd
Thinker

I choose the 6th option and wasnt kidding. I havnt synched in year. ^^ I install all my apps through cab files and copy all files over through compact flash cards.