Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Problems With Some Devices Needing A Soft Reset To Turn On?

There have been several posts in various forums about Windows Mobile 5 devices needing a soft reset to turn on. I know this isn't a WM5 issue in particular because it isn't all devices. Neither my K-Jam or JasJar have this problem. I have heard it reported about some Dell and HP devices though. Have you experienced this?

If you are having issues, reply in the forum with your make and model number, and if you have witnessed this on a freshly hard reset device to eliminate the possibility of a third party driver causing this. For example, my iPaq 2210 did this back in 2003 when I had installed the 2002 compatible ThinkOutside keyboard driver. Uninstalling the driver fixed it and within a month or so, ThinkOutside had updated their software.

One other possibilty mentioned is the storage card. Try removing that if you have one and see if that resolves the issue.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Clinton Fitch
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to Clinton Fitch
Default Re: Problems With Some Devices Needing A Soft Reset To Turn On?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
There have been several posts in various forums about Windows Mobile 5 devices needing a soft reset to turn on. I know this isn't a WM5 issue in particular because it isn't all devices. Neither my K-Jam or JasJar have this problem. I have heard it reported about some Dell and HP devices though. Have you experienced this?

If you are having issues, reply in the forum with your make and model number, and if you have witnessed this on a freshly hard reset device to eliminate the possibility of a third party driver causing this. For example, my iPaq 2210 did this back in 2003 when I had installed the 2002 compatible ThinkOutside keyboard driver. Uninstalling the driver fixed it and within a month or so, ThinkOutside had updated their software.

One other possibilty mentioned is the storage card. Try removing that if you have one and see if that resolves the issue.
I've experienced this several times on my Dell and based on conversations I've had with their support, it appears to be the way the x50v and WM5 (the combination of the two) handle storage cards, particularly CF cards.

It's pretty well known Dell has an issue with memory cards running the battery down if they are installed (so on that plane trip, remove the cards so you don't have a dead device when you arrive - learned that one the hard way). There is something else though in the driver that is causing a problem with the power/soft reset/etc.

I'd really hoped Dell would have released a new ROM by now to resolve some issues. I'm not sure if a new ROM will resolve this issue but that seems to be what they are hinting at.

Old 12-10-2005, 07:44 PM
aNiMeMaN14
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to aNiMeMaN14

I experience this about twice a week with my i-mate Jam... not enough for me to worry, but enough to annoy me. Thing is, when it happens, I'm typically on AIM, and I still hear my buddy list sounds, even though the device is having trouble turning itself back on. :evil:

Old 12-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Paragon
Magi

I've had it happen on my ETEN M500 several times....WM2003SE

Old 12-10-2005, 09:04 PM
dswatski
Neophyte
Default Happens to me on a Dell x50v with WM2005

I have seen this a lot on my Dell x50v since installing WM2005. When I go to turn it on, the entire screen is white and it does not respond to anything but a soft reset. This happens even if I turn it off and lock the button on the side. I have also seen it run my battery down to next to nothing.

I have a 1 GB SD card and a 512 MB CF card. I don't consider it an option to just remove the card whenever I remove it from the cradle, though that would be helpful on a trip.

I've also worked through other software upgrade issues related to WM2005 and storage on the memory cards. At this point I am seeing fewer problems running my applications with WM2005 due to memory, but more resets due to the problem described in this thread. I have abandoned one app that I used a lot to work with GPS and replaced it with another for geocaching.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 PM
surfer
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to surfer

Jup I had this problem on my X51v but it dissapered when I uppgraded it to the latest rom version.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I have a Qtek 9000 (HTC Universal) and I thought I was getting that same issue... it wouldn't power on until I soft-resetted the device. But then I determined that the culprit was a beta version of PocketX Photo Contacts Pro 4.0 that I was testing for the company. After I uninstalled it, I never had the error again.

So, I bet it may be mostly software related when things like this start to happen.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

My iPaq rx1950 does this constantly. Curiously only when an SD card is connected. Another problem I have is horrible Wifi connectivity. The iPaq rarely sees my network (protected of course), and here is the best part...if it fails to connect after a few attempts, the network profile disappears. Which means I have to go back and setup/input WEP key settings and the like.

My experience with WM5 so far has been a miserable one. Don't even get me started on ActiveSync 4.

Old 12-10-2005, 10:04 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

I have been tracing the problem and it appears in almost all WM5 devices no matter what OEM. I also have found that this issue together with the the battery drain issue appears more often in those devices with SPB Pocket PLUS top bar battery metter, SPB PocketPLUS today screen battery meter and resco file explorer battery meter. But disable them does not not fix completely these issues, it just makes them to appear less often. Having SD Cards and CF Cards together with battery meters addins seem to be a deadly combination too.

You can see more info about this topic in these following links:

http://x51v.blogspot.com/2005/11/x51v-mysteries.html
http://x51v.blogspot.com/2005/10/x51...appearing.html
http://x51v.blogspot.com/2005/10/x51v-bugs.html

Some registry hacks seems to help though they do not fix the problem completely

http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/foru...;showtopic=186
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showt...ge=3&pp=20

The following thread is a collection of tips, some of them very useful for every WM5 device...

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=104366

Old 12-10-2005, 10:09 PM
jglev
Pupil

There are a couple of huge threads about this over at the PPC-6700 forum on pdaphonehome: http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...threadid=58937 . We all thought that is was isolated to our devices, but after reading this, it appears we aren't unique and that the issue is more widespread.