Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Bad Design In The Wizard Stylus Silo?

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=6298030&postcount=27

A user at HowardForums has taken his HTC Wizard - an iMate K-Jam in this case - apart to find out why his stylus isn't secure.

This hasn't happened with my K-Jam, but I don't doubt that it will. Actually, I really hate the stylus in the K-Jam. It is the one downside in the hardware that really irritates me. As a result, I don't use it much, preferring to either grab a pen-sized stylus, use the keyboard, or occasionally, just not use the device. HTC makes great hardware overall in my opinion, but the stylus silo seems to be a weak spot for them. The stylus in my PDA2K will no stay in. I can turn the device upside down and shake it slightly and it falls right out.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:05 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Sounds like deja vu. Compaq iPAQ H3600 anyone? :|

Old 12-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Sounds like HTC needs to rework their stylus holders. My M600's stylus feels like it fits firmly within the holder - of course, I'll report back in a year's time and let you know if that is still the case.

If you ask me, the solution to all this is to go back to the conventional designs and store the stylus at the top, not the bottom. :roll:

Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Yep, I have have gotten to a point (no pun intended) where I will only use the K-JAM stylus in an extreme situation (practically never). I can navigate my entire today screen (with Pocket Plus, Contact/Pocket Breeze) with the d-pad. During the times I need a stylus I either use my finger or the 2 in 1 Comfort Grip Shorty from Stylus Central.

http://styluscentral.com/2in1comgrips.html

Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 PM
wirelessbeachbum
Ponderer
Default It's a conspiracy!!!

My XV6600 stylus is the same way, I actually don't think it's the slot that is the problem, but the stylus itself, when I get a new one, it fits tightly but after a couple of weeks they start to fall out again.

HTC is using it for residual income, they know on average you are going to lose your stylus every couple of weeks, and have to buy another.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
kiwi
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Sounds like deja vu. Compaq iPAQ H3600 anyone? :|
oh yes, fond memories of that one! ;-)

Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

What's most concerning about this poor design is that it occurs approximately one month after normal usage. My suggestion: never use it, unless in absolute emergencies. Resort to a secondary stylus.

Piel Frama has designed a case that includes it's own leather sheath for a stylus.

http://www.pielframa.com/i-mate_k-jam.htm

Old 12-07-2005, 04:15 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

Same story goes here :cry:

Stylus of my O2 mini doesnt fit nicely..some part of it cant go inside now the way it used too. I conjure, HTC needs to pay more attention to this ie silo area.

Sunny

Old 12-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

So is this a problem with all wizards or just all 200 modes or just some?
Do the 100 modes have this problem as well?

It isn't so much the loose stylus that bothers me as the fact that it physically breaks. I was going to get a wizard but now I'm not so sure.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
So is this a problem with all wizards or just all 200 modes or just some?
Do the 100 modes have this problem as well?

It isn't so much the loose stylus that bothers me as the fact that it physically breaks. I was going to get a wizard but now I'm not so sure.
Just because of the stylus? Really, it's not THAT bad.