Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 11-15-2005, 01:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung i730 Wins CNET Best Smartphone Award

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Top_10_cell_phones/4520-6022_1-102337-11.html?part=msn-cnet&subj=re_102337-11&tag=netcal

"The Samsung SCH-i730 manages a pretty impressive feat: It shrinks a Windows Mobile-based smart phone into a form factor that actually fits comfortably in your pants pocket and includes broadband wireless, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a built-in keyboard, and a speedy processor. Despite some irritating quirks in its wireless support, the Samsung i730 stays in the running for the "Treo killer" title."

The most interesting thing about this is it isn't the Treo 650. I've seen a few of these around town, more than any other brand of Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone with the possible exception of the various makes based on the HTC device used for the PDA2K/Audiovox 6600. If it weren't for the fact that turning on WiFi basically turns off the phone, this would be an almost perfect device.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:47 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I think the i730 is probably the one WM converged device that offers the best combined Phone + PDA experience. It is small enough to be used as an everyday phone. The sliding keyboard is quite useful, especially as a phone keypad, it's pretty fast. Samsung did a good job in the usability department. I wish it had a camera (sorry those of you that can't use one). My only other gripe is it seems to randomly reset about once every 2-3 days which is a bit irritating, but otherwise a very good converged device.

There may be better PDA devices with phones in them, but I'd be hard pressed to name a better converged device.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:48 AM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

This is a well-deserved award. I've been using this phone for about 3-4 months now and I'm absolutely delighted with it. After owing the Motorola MPX200 which froze up all the time and was basically unreliable as a phone, with a super slow GSM network to boot I'm happy with the i730.

You should consider this phone if you want:

Pocket PC Power (full-sized apps, stylus access) 500+ MHz
Really fast internet access through EVDO cellular (check your area for coverage)
Integrated qwerty keyboard
Decent battery live with EVDO
Wifi and Bluetooth
Small size for everything it does
Stylish design that gets lots of compliments
Pretty reliable hardware

Most Verizon stores have these on demo. Go give one a whirl, you will be impressed, especially if you have an old slow GSM/Edge smartphone or Pocket PC Phone Edition to compare it with.
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 11-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Mumin
Neophyte

Very nice device. Close to perfect. What disqualified it for me though was low a mic volume. People on the receiving end couln't hear me as loud as in case when I was using my regular phone. For sure t wasn't network's problem( Chicago area, full bars). Forums' research confirmed that problem. Have you guys experienced it?

Old 11-15-2005, 03:21 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
My only other gripe is it seems to randomly reset about once every 2-3 days which is a bit irritating, but otherwise a very good converged device.
Hard reset? :?

Old 11-15-2005, 03:50 AM
whydidnt
Pontificator

No, not a hard reset. Believe me, I'd be screaming a little louder if it was.

There are a few other reports on pdaphonehome.com about the same thing. Many think it's somehow related to the SD card. I thought about it because it happened to me today right in the middle of Soduku game (installed to the SD card). I'm considering exchanging it to see if a new phone will solve the issue.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 AM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

Mine crapped out after a 2 months of use. I have to leave it on to recieve calls. But i haven't tried a hard-reset yet.

Other than that though it is pretty cool even without the camera.

Old 11-15-2005, 04:10 AM
JohnJohn
Thinker

Best device I have ever owned. How do I know this, because there is nothing else on the market I would rather have.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Don't Panic!
Oracle
Default I will be dipped.

A hard-reset fixed my call issue! Why oh why didn't I just KISS?

This is a great device!!! unless you're a gamer. The d-pad doesn't do diagonals so most action games are out.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 AM
MPSmith
Thinker

It's the best device I have ever used. I may actually hold onto it for more than a year (a personal best!) As for using the wi-fi and phone simultaneously, there is a solution that works great:

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showt...860#post423860

My only "complaint" is the battery life. But considering that it gives me use of phone, BT, wi-fi, EVDO and PDA usage, I think the battery isn't really so bad. Plus the device comes with a standard AND extended battery. Pretty sweet!!!