Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Stuck With Lotus? mNotes 4.0 Released.

http://www.commontime.com/mNotes%20...ocket%20PC.aspx

"Get fully functional Lotus Notes email, calendar, tasks, contacts and even journal with the best Notes/Domino mobile messaging product available anywhere!"

Well, if you're stuck with Notes instead of Exchange (Now I'm not saying Exchange is superior, I have a friend with an x30 & preference for Notes!), you'd be interested in the latest version of mNotes released from CommonTime. Even the most loyal Notes user knows that a Pocket PC isn't exactly built for Lotus - so this might help you get your PPC a bit more use with your Notes setup.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:26 PM
JvanEkris
Philosopher

Be aware though: it is NOT compatible with Windows Mobile 5. Although it installs, it generates a continous notification that basically blocks your calander. Also i did get an error message when trying to sync my Calander, Contacts and tasks....

jaap

Old 11-09-2005, 05:11 PM
ale_ers
Theorist

I have been curious about this product, but have been unable to find answers to a few questions, even on their website.

Does this product work with the integrated Windows Mobile Applications? For Example, can you use the WM In-box and Pocket Informant contacts?
Also, Is there a way to get your E mail on a phone device?

My company uses Notes and I hate it. I currently use Outlook connector for Domino's to sync to my PPC, then I have a T-mobile device (HP6315)that pushes my Notes e-mail to it. It works OK, but my device is buggy and dated, so I want to switch to the Cingular HTC Wizard when it comes out. I'm worried about finding another option for Push e-mail (I have to research Cingular's Express Mail) as I am limited by what my company has.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:44 PM
wiz
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to wiz Send a message via MSN to wiz

It actually IS compatible with Notes, but you just need to download the right version. The download is avaliable, but not published on the site yet.

(Jon, when you run a newsflash on my tip, then be a bit more complete, it's version 4.1 that brings WM5 compatibility, not 4.0. ;-)

Quote:

Hi Willem,

CommonTime is pleased to announce the immediate availability of mNotes
version 4.1 which includes support for Windows Mobile 5 devices.

You can download it from:

Desktop/laptop installer (for individual users);
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/...Notes_ceEN.exe

General purpose installers (for server installations):
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/4.1.0/mNotesEN.exe
or
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/4.1.0/mNotesEN.msi

If a previous version of mNotes is already installed on your PC, you should
uninstall it (from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs) before installing
version 4.1.

Please note: your first replication may take longer than normal and may
even appear as if it has frozen part way through. *Please let it continue
(do not tap the Stop button or soft reset the device) - the replication
will complete and your second and subsequent replications will be
considerably faster.

mSuite: *CAB files for mSuite users will be available for download within
the next 24 hours. *If you are a corporate customer using mSuite (as
distinct from mNotes), as wish to be notified when the mSuite CAB files for
WM5 are available, please reply to this message using the subject "mSuite
CAB files for WM5".

A copy of the release notes can be downloaded from the following url.
Please read this.

http://hosting.commontime.com/downlo...s4.1.0.001.pdf

Regards,

Kevin

Old 11-09-2005, 06:10 PM
wiz
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ale_ers
Does this product work with the integrated Windows Mobile Applications? For Example, can you use the WM In-box and Pocket Informant contacts?
Also, Is there a way to get your E mail on a phone device?
Yes. Acrually, there is only one location for data to be put on a Pocket PC device and that is the integrated contac, appointment etc databases.

Pocket Outlook as well as Pocket Informant get their data from the same source, and it is those source databases that are sycnrhornized with the PC. Through Activesync with Outlook and through mNotes with Lotus Notes.

I too have been using the MS Notes connector for Outlook as a workaround, but I can can tell you that mNote is 1000x the better solution. As you already stated, the MS Outlook Connector for Domino is flaky at best, and has given me grey hairs as well.

You other question can only be answered by yes if your company actively supports it and is willing to put the required infrastructure in place to make htis possible. There are no synchronisation clients that out of the box provide this feature and all of them will require at least a certain minimum infrastructure to be set up, either at yoru company's end or your provider's end. There are however providers that do offer mail push functionality as part of a pricing plan but you will have to inquire.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 PM
ale_ers
Theorist

Thanks Wiz,

So mNotes installs on you desktop/laptop? Do you put an application on your PPC also?

Now that you use mNotes, Do you use Lotus Notes on your Desktop/Laptop and forgo Outlook?

As for my second question, I guess that is better addressed in another thread. T-mobile has a great web based solution, I don't know how it works other than to say that it somehow gets our mail from Notes' web access, then forwards it to me. I hope that Cingular's Express mail is similar, as the major advantage to me is that I don't have to deal with my company's IT department. I just set it up and away I go.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Doug Raeburn
Review Coordinator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks Wiz,

So mNotes installs on you desktop/laptop? Do you put an application on your PPC also?

Now that you use mNotes, Do you use Lotus Notes on your Desktop/Laptop and forgo Outlook?
Yes, it installs several applications on the PPC, the key ones being mCenter (configures the product, allows for watching the progress of replication, among other things) and Meetings, which as you may guess is used to manage invitations and such. The latter is a major change from the pre-4.x versions of mNotes, which dealt with meetings through extensions to the Pocket Outlook Calendar app. I just upgraded to mNotes 4.1 (my first 4.x installation), so the jury is still out on how well the Meetings app works.

As for your second question (your actual second question, that is), my only choice of desktop/laptop PIM is Lotus Notes, so yes, I forego Outlook. mNotes makes the distinction pretty seamless on the Pocket PC.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 PM
wiz
Pupil

Quote:
Thanks Wiz,
As for my second question, I guess that is better addressed in another thread. T-mobile has a great web based solution, I don't know how it works other than to say that it somehow gets our mail from Notes' web access, then forwards it to me. I hope that Cingular's Express mail is similar, as the major advantage to me is that I don't have to deal with my company's IT department. I just set it up and away I go.
I know that in the Netherlands, for the Blackberry Connect client, the T-Mobile web interface that is used to configure Blackberry connect (not to be confused with Blackberry Enterprise Server or BES) actually does allow one to setup some degree of Lotus Notes connectivity so my hunch is that if T-Mobile already offers a Lotus Notes connection through their web interface, it would only be a small step to bring that onto your device through an BB Connect client. You would however have to take that up with your T-Mobile contact.

(I am running an O2 XDA IIs Pocket PC Phone with Windows Mobile 2003SE and a BB Connect client on T-Mobile Netherlands, my O2 XDA Exec under WM5 has no BB Connect client yet)

* Note: I do not know to what extent this will prove to be a real issue, but it appears that the mNotes 4.1 on the device side (WM5) may have an important memory leak ... I have fed back my 1st experiences to Commontime and am anwaiting their feedback.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:29 PM
wiz
Pupil

Update: the first bugs have been spotted *and* corrected. I was informed of the following:

Dear Willem,

We have identified and fixed some issues in the Windows Mobile 5 version of
the mNotes/mSuite client software (see bug list below).

If you have already downloaded either the Windows Mobile 5 mNotes /mSuite
(version 4.1.805) CAB file(s) and/or any of the mNotes version 4.1
installers, please download them again.

IMPORTANT: If you have already installed mNotes or mSuite on any WM5
device(s), you should upgrade them with this latest version as soon as
possible. However, before installing this version, you MUST do a Reset of
all the replicators in mCenter on the PDA (Calendar, Contacts, Mail. Tasks
etc.). This will remove all mail and PIM data from the device. It will be
reloaded from Lotus Notes after the upgrade.

Failure to do this will result in all data on the PDA being seen as
"modified" and being sent back to Notes and this could have highly
undesirable effects - especially on the Calendar.

To perform the Resets, go to the mCenter application, tap and hold on the
first replicator in the list then tap Reset and tap OK on the warning
message. Repeat this for all replicators in the list.

Remember to do the Resets immediately BEFORE installing the new version
and do not perform any further replications until you have installed the
new version onto the PDA.

The updated mNotes v4.1 installers are available at:
Palm desktop installer:
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/...tes_PalmEN.exe

WM/Pocket PC desktop installer:
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/...Notes_CeEN.exe

Combined (general purpose) installers
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/4.1.0/mNotesEN.exe
http://www.commontime.com/downloads/4.1.0/mNotesEN.msi

The bugs fixed in this version are:

A time-zone change between two replications caused all
appointments/meetings to be rescheduled
When launching mail from New-Mail-Notification, the Inbox wouldn't
necessarily switch to the correct mail account
Empty Notes Birthdays/Anniversaries appear on PDA as 01/01/1994
Empty PDA Birthdays/Anniversaries appear in Notes as 01/01/4501
Comments on Lotus Notes Contacts were not replicated to the PDA

Known Anomalies
mNotes SP 2005 (Smartphone) sometimes fails to uninstall. To work around
this, leave mNotes in the remove programs list when prompted to remove
it, Power cycle the phone & try again.
If you have any further queries do not hesitate to contact us again.

Mark

Old 11-09-2005, 10:33 PM
wbuch
Pupil

Their website doesn't seem to be very helpful so maybe someone who's used this can help. Is it basically primarily an activesync conduit? I understand the Meetings app is separate, but other than that, can I use Pocket Informant still for my contacts, calendar, tasks, and WebIS Mail for my mail?

How much does it cost? When I click on "Buy it" to try to find the cost, they want me to register. :evil:

Is there a way to keep all the Notes-based info in a single category on my PPC, and only upload and download things in that category? i.e. I don't want to upload all my personal info to my employer.

Thanks in advance for any answers.