Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default ActiveSync 4.0 Issue Alert, Troubleshooting Guide on Microsoft.com

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...nc/default.mspx

"Microsoft wants to alert you to an issue regarding ActiveSync 4.0 and the immediate steps the company is taking to resolve it and meet customer needs. Specifically, some users of ActiveSync� 4.0 have reported challenges when using the USB connection of their personal computer to connect to a device with Windows Mobile 5.0. In many cases, these challenges are likely caused by interoperability with desktop firewall applications or applications that manage network traffic. These applications appear to conflict with the TCP traffic between a device and the PC. An update for ActiveSync is scheduled to be available in late November, but customers may also resolve the issue manually immediately by visiting the Windows Mobile site."

There aren't that many Windows Mobile 5 devices in the wild yet, so this issue may no affect many of you (I didn't have any problems with my X51v), but there's an ActiveSync 4.0 Troubleshooting Guide on the Windows Mobile site that has some steps for you to take if you're having this issue. Nice to see Microsoft is being proactive with this issue!

Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

I got affected already. It's conflicting with the same MS ISA Client.

In other cases my NIC card is disconnected everytime I connect the PPC.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:51 PM
gavinfabl
Ponderer

I got affected too and spent hours pulling my hair out.

I had to remove mcafee firewall and other components.

I can't believe they never found this fault prior to release.

clowns in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinfabl

clowns in my opinion.
well, sometime I wonder who is working in their betatester team. Because besize leaking the beta copies of the OS it seems to me that they have not done anything else. 0X

Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 PM
gavinfabl
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctitanic
Quote:

clowns in my opinion.
well, sometime I wonder who is working in their betatester team. Because besize leaking the beta copies of the OS it seems to me that they have not done anything else. 0X
i'm a guinea pig, who's time is not precious. when I encountered problem, there was no help available. The AS4 help took you to version 3.8.

but theres no point me rambling, because nobody at Microsoft is listening or reading this post.

my pc is now exposed but I will waste a few more hours trying to see if their solution works.

but now, I am just going to continue drinking another beer.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:50 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

Don't waste your time.
I use MS ISA Client and I checked the Network adapter properties for the mobile device and I do not have anything else there that what they said that should be checked. And I still have to disabled the ISA Client to get connected with AS and after that enable it again.

BTW, the PC disconnection disappeared after I installed AS 4.1 Another leaked version

Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 PM
seaflipper
Intellectual

I had troubles too when I got my WM5 device last week. The problem for me as using Trend Micro PCillin Firewall. Even if I put the exception in Trend Micro for ActiveSync, it still wouldn't work. My workaround was to disable the Trend Micro firewall and use the Windows one instead. Works fine now.

Apparently Activesync sets up your firewall properly for your PocketPC, BUT only if it's the Microsoft firewall.

I hope that fix that in the future because I prefer the Trend Micro firewall to the Windows one...

Ok, I just looked at the MS Troubleshooter and it explains what to do to make it work in Trend Micro. I see they have listed 2 extra programs that Activesync uses that I was not aware of, this is probably why I couldn't get it to work with my hx2495...will try this tonight.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:05 PM
MikeB
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to MikeB

Quote:
Is it a "release" product yet? At www.pocketpc.com it still shows "New! ActiveSync 3.8".

Mike B.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:08 PM
seaflipper
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB
Quote:
Is it a "release" product yet? At www.pocketpc.com it still shows "New! ActiveSync 3.8".

Mike B.
It is shipped with new WM5 iPaq's, although on the Windowsmobile site you can't download it yet, 3.8 is still the latest...

OEM's might ship their own custom version of AS for their devices sometimes

Old 10-21-2005, 01:26 AM
bvkeen
Intellectual

Thank you immensely for this info!!
My x51v syncs fine on my personal laptop but the IT folks at work have not yet found a way to even get it to connect at work. I will give this link to them first thing in the morning.