Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 10-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Ok, So How Much Are You Spending On Your Applications?

In this poll, we found out most of the readers of this site have over 10 applications installed, and the bulk of those have over 20 installed! Then here you told us what you have installed that is making up for that critical functionality the Pocket PC lacks out of the box. Ok, the guy with 41 games installed, you do realize you can get work done with a Pocket PC, right? :wink: :lol:

Bars represent dollars spent. The line is how many apps purchased that year.

So just how much did you spend on applications? Very few on my list are free, so when I added it up, it was touching on $1,200 since my first third party app purchased in 1999 - bSquare Spreadsheet which made up for the lack of Pocket Excel on those early Palm-Sized PC devices. I've spent much less this year mainly because my device pretty much does everything it needs to for me and just about all updates have been free. How about you, could you have made a great down payment on a big screen TV for what you've spent on Pocket PC software? :| (Note the poll is in US dollars. Do your best to translate it. Thanks!)

Old 10-10-2005, 05:23 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

So the poll is asking how much we've spent on Pocket PC software this year? Or how much we expect to spend in 2005 total (since there's a few months left, after all)? Or how much we've spent over all years? Just a little confusing in my mind. :|

I'm like you, though, I haven't spent nearly as much on PPC software this year because I've had free updates, and I've actually won some free software on Pocekt PC Thoughts. I'm definitely in the $1-50 range though, and was probably in the $51-100 range last year. It's not that I mind spending money on software, it's just that I want it to be really good (i.e. I'll use it daily or at least quite a bit) so spend money on it.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:26 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

i really havent given it much thought, though - up until i was going to upgrade to a new model that i just had to create some sort of "installation manual complete with URLs, registration infos, etc." to make my clean "upgrade" as painless as possible...

and well, it did end with me having an excel sheet listing my APPs - at to my amazement, it did AMOUNT to NEAR the PDA's purchase price...

hhhhmmm... i do remember posting somewhere, maybe here at PPCT - that for some, like me for example, have to invest the same amount of money just to LOAD our devices with those what we need....

and come to think of it - with total initial investment reaching US$1,000 (software apps of around US$400, and a PPC/peripherals for about US$600) - one could then ask if it were more beneficial to buy a mid-level non-branded PC, or even a new previous-generation notebook computer?

Old 10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

however, i think that Ed raises a very important point here - that out of the box, our handheld devices rarely provide the much needed functionality we would expect it to...

Old 10-10-2005, 05:33 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaq_wannabe
however, i think that Ed raises a very important point here - that out of the box, our handheld devices rarely provide the much needed functionality we would expect it to...
Well, in that perspective, neither do our PCs - and I'm just fine with that. I'd rather spend money on some greatt apps than spend hundreds of dollars more on the operating system for apps I may or may not use.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaq_wannabe
Just for clarification, that is not the point I am raising at all. I have never purchased any computing device ever that did what I wanted out of the box. The key is, what can it be made to do with add-ons? I would say that most purchases do not have broad appeal. For example, HanDBase. Just how many people need a database on their Pocket PC? Relatively few compared to the overall market, so it would make no sense if it came with one, but as a $30 addon, I am happy to buy it and extend the functionality.

Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 PM
yada88
Ponderer
Default Less Honest

The option you left out was for those less scrupolous individuals who pirate pocket PC applications, and have a bunch but simply don't pay for them. And yes, it does exist.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
PocketPC Addict
Intellectual

personally, I've spent a small fortune on PPC software. It always seems there is something new and innovative to add to my device.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:32 PM
surur
Mystic

GPS put me well into the $500 range. Ignoring the cost of the hardware, the software (+maps) was probably $75. Add the TomTom 3 upgrade for $75, plus the TomTom 5 upgrade for another $75 = $225.

Add Calligrapher bought about 3 times (2002, 2004 and 2005) for about $80, and then Resco Explorer, Textmaker, PocketInformant (a few times) and then all the miscellaneous software. It all adds up very easily.

I guess I'm a sucker for an upgrade.

However, people are comparing the cost of their software to their device, but if I had to add up the cost of all the devices I ever had, its probably in the $2500 range in any case.

PPC's are an expensive hobby.

Surur

Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
PPC's are an expensive hobby.
I concur.

But think how much they'd cost out-of-the-box if they shipped with decent software instead of the anemic stuff they currently come with. 8O