Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Spb Diary 1.6 Released

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/diary/?en

"Spb Diary is a feature-rich Today plug-in for your Calendar, Tasks, Contacts and Notes. This software is a powerful replacement for the standard Today plug-ins for appointments and tasks known to have poor functionality. When using Spb Diary the most of actions related to appointments, tasks, contacts and notes can be performed even without leaving the Today screen at all."

It's been five months since the initial release and Spb Diary has grown into a feature-rich product. The new version includes Windows Mobile 5.0 support, storage card and built-in storage support, new import/export settings, a significant speed boost for the Contacts portion of the program, improved D-pad navigation, multiple category icon support, and much more. Existing users of Spb Diary 1.x can update to the new version for free.

If you've yet to try it out, a free trial version can be downloaded from Handango or the Spb Diary webpage. The full version is available for $14.95. [Affiliate]

Old 09-27-2005, 02:10 PM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

Geez Louise, look at that screen! Kinda defeats the "at a glance" purpose of the Today screen, doesn't it? That just makes my eyes bleed, having to bounce around fifty different places to take it all in. And I don't want to have to do anything (i.e. select a tab) to see my information.

This is all I need:
http://tasksplus.szm.com/

Well, I also use Calendar+ and ScaryBear Software's QuickQuotes.

To each his or her own.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:50 PM
dave
Ponderer

i installed the trial of v1.5 and loved it except for one thing... if you have tasks that have multiple categories, they would only show up in Diary under one of the categories. i emailed support to see when/if this would be fixed and never got a response.

i checked the release history on the spb site and didn't see this mentioned. does anyone know if this has been fixed? i don't know that i'm going to have time to try myself for a couple of days.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:20 PM
BukTop
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave
i emailed support to see when/if this would be fixed and never got a response.
I have asked our support team and they said me they could not find such unanswered question. Could you please send me the ticket id by email and I will check how could it happen? (email: buktop at softspb dot com).

Victor Bargachev
Spb Software House

Old 09-27-2005, 04:23 PM
stevelam
Thinker
Default Re: Spb Diary 1.6 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Arghhhhhhh clutter :bad-words: :soapbox: :frusty: how do get anything done like that. It must be horrible, and the load time!!! Just my opinion.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
i installed the trial of v1.5 and loved it except for one thing... if you have tasks that have multiple categories, they would only show up in Diary under one of the categories. i emailed support to see when/if this would be fixed and never got a response.

i checked the release history on the spb site and didn't see this mentioned. does anyone know if this has been fixed? i don't know that i'm going to have time to try myself for a couple of days.
Version 1.6 (September 26, 2005):

* Windows Mobile 5 support added
* Installation to storage card is possible now
* Import/Export settings implemented
* Contact list loading is speeded up significantly
* Hardware keys handling for 2002 and 2003 devices reimplemented
* Portuguese localization added
--> * Several category icons per item can be shown now
* Changing of time zone is handled
* The bug regarding creating contacts with empty name fixed
* Other minor bugs fixed

This is what i want. Now items with more than one catagory show all the catagory icons.
I don't want stuff to show up in more than one place at the same time.
I have one contact under personal and business. On the contact tab sorted by catagory he only shows up once under business but he has the icons for business and personal. Perfect! This was one of the biggest thing missing from this app.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor
Default Re: Spb Diary 1.6 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam
Arghhhhhhh clutter :bad-words: :soapbox: :frusty: how do get anything done like that. It must be horrible, and the load time!!! Just my opinion.
You can customize it. it doesn't have to be clutter.

nice and clean

Edit: oops forgot to turn off that black dotted line at the top. You can get rid of that too.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:06 PM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

But your eye still has to go Left>Right, Down, Left>Right to take in what you're seeing. Extraneous (unaligned) lines and bars still make it tough to read -- to me. Of course you'll have your own preferences. And some people, judging from the screen grabs I've seen, just love to stuff their Today screen with every bit of information from everywhere on the device.

My two gods on the topic of user-design are Steve Krug (Don't Make Me Think) and Robin Williams (not *that* one, the female author of The Non-Designer's Design Book). They both talk a lot about these principles, of how much work your eye has to do, and how many decisions you have to make about what you're seeing. In short: fewer is better.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:12 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamishmacdonald
But your eye still has to go Left>Right, Down, Left>Right to take in what you're seeing. Extraneous (unaligned) lines and bars still make it tough to read -- to me. Of course you'll have your own preferences. And some people, judging from the screen grabs I've seen, just love to stuff their Today screen with every bit of information from everywhere on the device.

My two gods on the topic of user-design are Steve Krug (Don't Make Me Think) and Robin Williams (not *that* one, the female author of The Non-Designer's Design Book). They both talk a lot about these principles, of how much work your eye has to do, and how many decisions you have to make about what you're seeing. In short: fewer is better.
You might want to give a try to PocketBreeze. It can be configured for a very simple look.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:41 PM
pbg
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to pbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukTop
Quote:
i emailed support to see when/if this would be fixed and never got a response.
I have asked our support team and they said me they could not find such unanswered question. Could you please send me the ticket id by email and I will check how could it happen? (email: buktop at softspb dot com).

Victor Bargachev
Spb Software House
Excuse me for asking, but if he didn't get a response, how would he have a ticket id? :?