Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Palm Schedules Webcast With Bill Gates On Windows Mobile Treo

http://ir.palm.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=105423&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=760556&highlight=

"Palm, Inc., Microsoft Corporation and Verizon Wireless Announce Press Conference for Sept. 26 - SUNNYVALE, Calif.--Sept. 23, 2005--Ed Colligan, Palm, Inc. president and chief executive officer; Bill Gates, Microsoft chairman and chief software architect; and Denny Strigl, president and chief executive officer of Verizon Wireless, invite the news media to join them for a press conference on Monday, Sept. 26, at The Palace Hotel in San Francisco beginning at 9 a.m. PDT."

That's it folks. No more denying it. The device is coming and Verizon gets it first. Links for the live webcast presentation covering the demise of PalmOS are at Palm's site. :wink:

Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Kash76
Ponderer

That blows that V gets it first!!

Old 09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Deja vu....How many Apple users are going to have a flashback to MW with Bill live via Webcast. MWAHAHAHAHA. :robot:

Old 09-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Steve14965
Pupil

It's about time! I can't wait to get my hands on the new WM treo. Hopefully T-Mobile will pick it up too.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:02 PM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Oh this kills me.. I am flying in Sunday morning to spend a week in Sunnyvale for business and will be 10 minutes from press conference but wont be able to make it because of a meeting

Maybe they would give out free Windows mobile Treos to the first 50 people there (Hey I can hope)..

Old 09-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator
Default Re: Palm Schedules Webcast With Bill Gates On Windows Mobile Treo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry

That's it folks. No more denying it. The device is coming and Verizon gets it first. Links for the live webcast presentation covering the demise of PalmOS are at Palm's site. :wink:

Oh I don't know Ed. I hear PalmSource will be licensing out POS to Baskin and Robins that will be using PalmOS to run their blenders. Just don't expect variable speeds....User's don't need such a thing in their blenders after all. :wink:

Seriously though. I fear for the future of WM. Its progressed at such a snails pace WITH Palm nipping at their heels. What happens if/when Palm goes away? :cry: :? Could be bad times ahead for Pocket PC users. I hope not though.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1
Seriously though. I fear for the future of WM. Its progressed at such a snails pace WITH Palm nipping at their heels. What happens if/when Palm goes away? :cry: :? Could be bad times ahead for Pocket PC users. I hope not though.
PalmOS was taken out of Microsoft's cross hairs years ago. It is about Nokia and RIM.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 PM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Quote:
I doubt this... The Treo is really the first smart phone that will have real recognition running Windows Mobile. Everyone has heard of Palm, and many business execs that are in the market for a smart phone has heard of the Treo. This puts Microsoft in the spot light here.. a chance to show the world and all the other mobile phone OEMS that their OS can do that Job.

I suspect if Microsoft (Gates) hasn't given much attention to WM in the past, he will now.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
PalmOS was taken out of Microsoft's cross hairs years ago. It is about Nokia and RIM.
Absolutely! Plus this also give MS a much strengthened position with carriers. Particularly when you look a countries like Canada where MS just plain doesn't have a position with carriers. This leads them through the door.

Dave

Old 09-24-2005, 01:46 AM
Mike Temporale
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Absolutely! Plus this also give MS a much strengthened position with carriers. Particularly when you look a countries like Canada where MS just plain doesn't have a position with carriers. This leads them through the door.
What? Telus, Bell and Rogers all have Windows Mobile devices in their line up.

Handspring has always had good solid hardware and the Treo is no exception. It's nice to see WM on such a device. It is a big step forward for Microsoft.