Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default An Exclusive Preview of the HP iPAQ hw6715

In the flesh: the HP iPAQ hw6715 Mobile Messenger. I've been asked to remain tight-lipped on where these images came from, but rest assured, they're from a legitimate source. Continue on for an exclusive look at this device.

What is the hw67xx?
Earlier in the year, HP received a mixed response with the release of the iPAQ hw6510/hw6515 Mobile Messenger series. For what it was worth, it was a pretty decent device, but lacked several key features to help set it apart from other Pocket PC Phone Edition devices. Then came the buzz of the iPAQ hw6710/hw6715. We knew it was coming - but questions of "when it would be released" and "what it would include" had yet to be answered.

In August, HP made an accidental leak on the upcoming devices. They then realised their mistake, and the information was pulled. Fortunately, a handy button known as "Print Screen" saved the day.

Figure 1: Leaked information on the iPAQ hw6710. Click the image above for a larger view.

Figure 2: Leaked information on the iPAQ hw6715. Click the image above for a larger view.

Based on these screen captures, the key feature setting the two apart is the inclusion of a 1.3MP camera (as seen in the hw6715). Now, in comparison to the hw65xx series, the hw67xx is one step forward and one step back. The hw67xx offers 128MB of ROM (as opposed to 64MB) and includes integrated Wi-Fi, but it loses the dual SDIO/miniSD slots in preference for a sole miniSD slot. The latter being a questionable move - the device isn't any smaller, so why rid the device of an SDIO slot when so many people loathe miniSD?

1000 Words...
Enough about that. Let's get this out in the open right away. The pictures speak for themselves.

Figure 3: Despite a couple of minor alterations, the hw67xx looks exactly the same as the hw65xx.

Figure 4: Alas, no SD. Could that spell doom for this device?

Figure 5: The hw6715's volume slider and camera button.

Figure 6: Ooh... chunky!.

Figure 7: A look at the all-new hw6715 keyboard. There are a few points to note here - (1) The hw6715's OK key has moved to the left of the Windows key, (2) the Tab key now has a clear secondary Num-Lock function, and (3) the blue Fn key is no longer blue. Finally, the hw6715's keyboard is easier to press than the hw6510/hw6515's.

Figure 8: Yup, that's miniSD.

Figure 9: One point worth noting is the inclusion of Windows Mobile 5.0 on the hw67xx series. The phone dialler is shown here.

Figure 10: HP's well-known iPAQ Wireless in all its glory.

Figure 11: Wi-Fi network detected...

Figure 12: ...and phone network connected.

Figure 13: Early reports seemed to indicate that the PXA270 processor in the hw6710/hw6715 would only be running at 312MHz. However, this shows the device running at 416MHz. It could just be a feature unique to this pre-production model, though unless we hear otherwise, I think we can assume that HP's new batch of Mobile Messengers will sport a faster processor.

Figure 14: And when the lights go down, things start looking cool.

Figure 15: You can never have too much protection.

Figure 16: HP's QuickStart Tour should have you up and running in no time.

Figure 17: The hw6715's Today screen. As you can see, it's definitely Windows Mobile 5.0.

Figure 18: A close-up shot of the backlit keyboard. And guess what? It's white!

Figure 19: The hw6715 from one angle...

Figure 20: ...and another angle.

Figure 21: I wasn't sure how useful this shot would be, but I included it anyway.

Update #1: I've been shot with emails left, right and centre with queries on the screen resolution. It is no different to that of the hw6510/hw6515, and is thus 240 x 240.

Update #2: Apart from the variation in processor speeds, every specification on the device correlates with what was leaked by HP in August. Unfortunately, due to the exclusion of an appropriate GPS software package in this pre-production model, testing could not be conducted.

Upcoming Devices?
Lastly, I've been assured that the rx1950/rx1955 (which we have reported here, here and here) is no fake. Specs have yet to be decided on, but if rumours are anything to go by, it will feature a Samsung S3C2442 300MHz processor, 32MB RAM, 64MB ROM, a 3.5" QVGA (240x320) 65K-colour screen, SDIO, 802.11b Wi-Fi, IR, and a 1100mAh Li-Ion battery - all packed into an h4150 shell. The release date is still unknown.

Old 09-23-2005, 05:39 PM
yankeejeep
Thinker

Hopefully there's more attention to the device detail than the content of the web site. WM 2005 Second Edition?

Since they have both wifi and BT, mini-SD may not be as much of an issue. Sounds like it will be used for storage by most folks since they won't need a card to get one of the wireless connections. And the wifi is G to boot.

I am not a big converged device man, but even I will have to take a look at this as a day-to-day out-and-around device.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I just feel bad for all those who picked up a 6500 series, now thinking they may not get a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade. (or is it definite now?)

At least E-TEN announced an upgrade for M500 users while still prepping the M600 for release, even though they're pushing the upgrade way off to ensure enough M600 sales.

Given HP's reputation that destroyed their audience's confidence time and time again in that they will receive continued, thorough support on any HP device they purchase, I will avoid HP like the plague. They seem to abandon their own products faster than a kid with ADD would play with a single toy.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:52 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

Thanks but no thanks. I love my Treo 650's 320 by 320 gorgeous bright screen and I will bet the keyboard is much better than the one on HP models. It's too bad that Treo-700w will have the same screen as the HP and no wifi. That kills it for many people who were planning to buy it.

Old 09-23-2005, 07:31 PM
kiwiruss
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to kiwiruss Send a message via AIM to kiwiruss Send a message via MSN to kiwiruss Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiruss
Default not for me Im afraid

I like the edge, but think I'll wait for a quadband VGA device.
The Imate JASJAR is getting close to the perfect combo I think.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 PM
beedee
Pupil
Default Old, unigenious design!

Why would anyone give up screen realestate and go for a square screen instead of the standard PPC 240x320 dimension, when it was proven that it can be easily done: SE P910i (Symbian, though) - great solution to combine keypad, keyboard AND large screen. New, upcoming HTC-devices with slide-out keyboard - great! Samsung slide-out devices ... you name it.

If you just need to read some SMS-like-few-character e-mails, a device like this might be OK - but then you may want to go to a toystore rightaway.

For anything more serious, especially for calendars & tasklists that are filled with multipe entries as for most busy people, this kind of square-screen devices will prove unsatisfactory after the first hype with the gadget is over.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:29 PM
denethor
Pupil
Default GPS

What about the GPS? Is it just a Tom Tom SW or integrated GPS H/W?

Old 09-23-2005, 09:14 PM
magoh9494
Pupil

When's this device available?

Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
d-roC
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to d-roC Send a message via Yahoo to d-roC

Depending on the price and build quality, HP could see this being taken up kinda fast, lest the WM Treo beats it to market. Then it would been too late to make any kind of dent.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:29 AM
deemota
Pupil

Wow, I was really turned off by the original specs, but if it really has 802.11G, Edge and also has a 416mhz or above processor, then it's definitely my next PPC.