Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 09-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Dell Windows Mobile 5 Upgrade CD Now Available for Ordering

http://www.dell.com

According to my sources at Dell, the English Windows Mobile 5 upgrade CD for you Axim X50 and X50v owners should be available for ordering today, the 20th of September. It will retail for $39 USD and should ship by the end of October. They chose to delay the ship date by a couple of weeks to incorporate some features/tweaks that would have not been made available otherwise. Localized versions for Dell's other markets are expected to start shipping within 60 days.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM
wocket
Thinker

Great news.

Nothing on the UK dell site yet though. I'm so impatent :roll:

Old 09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Dell Windows Mobile 5 Upgrade CD Now Available for Ordering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
They chose to delay the ship date by a couple of weeks to incorporate some features/tweaks that would have not been made available otherwise.
...like the case with the hx4700/Pocket Loox 720. Dell, at least, ships the upgrade in October.

Old 09-20-2005, 01:19 PM
beecher
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to beecher Send a message via MSN to beecher Send a message via Yahoo to beecher

But they said previously that upgrade will be available in Mid October... So 2 weeks is not so big deal... :wink:

Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I'm afraid the upgarde will also contain the MS BT stack See http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=365939

Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Mitch D
Sage

It's also listed on Dell Canada's website for $50 CAN. Might have to tell my wife to get it for me for my birthday next month. :wink:

Old 09-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Jimmy Dodd
Sage

Still waiting for some word on HP's release. Since they claim it will be available in "late summer 2005" I think they are running out of time. Summer ends Thursday. :roll:

Old 09-20-2005, 02:06 PM
beecher
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to beecher Send a message via MSN to beecher Send a message via Yahoo to beecher

HP moved the release of WM5 upgrade for Hx4700 to late spring/early summer 2006 due some issues with 3rd party driver...

Old 09-20-2005, 02:27 PM
kotkinjs1
Pupil
Send a message via Yahoo to kotkinjs1
Default no joy from Dell online chat support

okay - this is kind of long (transcript of my chat session with Dell sales) but it brings up questions about the upgrade availability to current Axim owners. Either this sales rep is new and doesn't know what she's talking about or us current owners are SOL.....

{Jeremy Kotkin 7:42:56 AM} I've heard that Dell is taking orders for the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade CD for the Axim x50v to ship in October. I can't find any purchase info on the website. How can I order the upgrade CD?
{Jessica 7:43:08 AM} Welcome to Dell Sales Chat. My name is Jessica. I'll be your personal sales agent today. Give me a moment to review your concern.
{Jessica 7:43:27 AM} hi jeremy
{Jeremy Kotkin 7:43:36 AM} Hi Jessica
{Jessica 7:43:56 AM} u can find the option when you customize the aximx50v
{Jessica 7:44:05 AM} hold on lemme check on that
{Jeremy Kotkin 7:44:17 AM} I already own an x50v with WM 2003 OS...just looking for the upgrade CD
{Jessica 7:44:26 AM} oh btw, Will you be purchasing online today using this e-mail address: XXXXXXX ?
{Jeremy Kotkin 7:44:40 AM} the upgrade CD?
{Jessica 7:46:15 AM} oh its for purchasing the axim x50v itself
{Jessica 7:46:47 AM} u will get the free window's mobile 5.0 upgrade CD
{Jeremy Kotkin 7:47:40 AM} I thought you only get the free upgrade if you buy a new Axim. I've had mine for almost 6 months. I just want to buy the upgrade CD. but I'll take a free upgrade if you're giving it away! ;o)
{Jeremy Kotkin 7:48:50 AM} so....how do I get an upgrade CD?
{Jessica 7:49:12 AM} lemme see what i can do for that
{Jessica 7:56:04 AM} the free cd upgrade is given if your purchase is within 21 days
{Jeremy Kotkin 7:56:44 AM} not applicable here then...like I thought. So how can I purchase the upgrade cd?
{Jessica 8:00:43 AM} lemme give u the link
{Jessica 8:05:41 AM} click on this link: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topi...=en&s=corp
{Jeremy Kotkin 8:07:03 AM} brings me to a press release from May. Is the CD 'for sale' yet?
{Jessica 8:08:01 AM} its an upgrade offer only
{Jeremy Kotkin 8:09:26 AM} I know - I want to upgrade my axim with Pocket PC 2003 on it. Can I eventually buy the upgrade CD? I was just trying to find out if Dell is selling it to current axim owners yet because I heard you were.
{Jessica 8:10:40 AM} for new buyers only jeremy
{Jeremy Kotkin 8:11:32 AM} ok - just want to confirm what you're saying.... the upgrade cd will only be available to new axim buyers?
{Jessica 8:11:41 AM} yes
{Jessica 8:12:49 AM} are u still there?
{Jeremy Kotkin 8:12:52 AM} but the link you just sent me says this: "Dell Axim X50 customers will be able to purchase the upgrade, expected to ship during the third quarter, on compact disc. " ??
{Jessica 8:13:36 AM} we don't sell the cd's separately
{Jeremy Kotkin 8:14:35 AM} ok i guess. I had just seen reports on pocket pc forums that dell would be making it available to current axim owners. Really kind of ashame that you won't be supporting your current customers with an upgrade.
{Jessica 8:16:52 AM} we don't sell it separately
{Jeremy Kotkin 8:17:18 AM} ok. thanks for your time. bye.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Jeff Rutledge
Moderator Emeritus
Default Re: no joy from Dell online chat support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotkinjs1
okay - this is kind of long (transcript of my chat session with Dell sales) but it brings up questions about the upgrade availability to current Axim owners. Either this sales rep is new and doesn't know what she's talking about or us current owners are SOL.....
I think it's most likely the former. All indications are that the CD will be sold separately for existing owners, including the fact that I just ordered mine from Dell.ca (and I've had my X50v for months).