Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Sprint PPC-6700 Revealed

http://www.sprint.com/business/prod...0_pdaPhones.jsp

"Experience the powerful and feature-rich Sprint PCS VisionSM Smart Device PPC-6700, the first Pocket PC Phone Edition device on Windows Mobile 5.0 Software available in the U.S. It's the newest mobile device platform from Microsoft. With an exciting new form factor - smaller and lighter than traditional Pocket PC devices - this powerhouse has EV-DO built in, ready to support Sprint Wireless High Speed Data capabilities where available. It also sports a 416 MHz Intel processor, megapixel camera and camcorder, a sliding QWERTY keyboard, and Bluetooth� and Wi-Fi data capabilities."

Amidst all this HTC Wizard and HTC Universal hype, Sprint has just released the PPC-6700 (a.k.a. HTC Apache). This 4.25" x 2.3" x 1.0" device is packed with an Intel Bulverde 416MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, CDMA/EV-DO support, a 1.3MP camera, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.2, IR, a miniSD slot, a mini-USB port, a 240 x 320 (QVGA) colour screen, a 1350mAh battery, a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and Windows Mobile 5.0. Its RRP is $629.99 (after savings, $479.99) and should satisfy most of you - if you don't mind that antenna bulge.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

:jawdrop: I didn't see that coming.....things got a bit interesting.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 PM
yanathin
Intellectual

I can't believe Sprint was the first to get it out of all the US carriers! 8O
Cingular, please stop flaunting your iTunes phone and black Razr and release something worthwhile for a change...

Old 09-16-2005, 09:20 PM
dazz
Theorist

I prefer the look of the Wizard, but the Apache seems like a better devices! I think the Wizard only has a 300 Mhz processor, doesn't it?

It is too bad about the antenna, but maybe that will make the EV-DO speeds max out.

I like!

Old 09-16-2005, 09:22 PM
andydempsey
Pupil

Sprint doing the apache.
T=mobile doing the wizard.

Come on Cingular, pull your finger out and let us kow about the wizard!

Old 09-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Scott R
Philosopher

The Wizard (GSM variation) may be using a TI OMAP processor which, while it has a lower MHz rating, may be a better performer overall. We'll have to wait to know for sure. I'm also concerned that the Wizard may have 802.11g and BT 2.0 while the PPC-6700 may be just 802.11b and BT 1.2. Again, we don't really know for sure yet.

I'm still skeptical that I'll be able to use this as easily without the stylus as I can with my Treo 650, but I think I like enough of what I see that I'm going to get me one of 'em.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:04 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

anyone know off-hand...

Is the BT going to be crippled in any way (such as not supporting DUN)

Also, what are the available data plans?

Old 09-16-2005, 10:13 PM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Need to see more pictures. But from the specs and what I can of the device.. I like it. I don't really care for sprint (they're pricey), though they do have better coverage in my area. I also like having the traditional buttons on the front of the device so I can use more it like a PPC when not using it as a phone.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:37 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

The more I think about it... if the center D-pad button were an analog control, this would make for an awesome portable gaming platform. With phone service and WiFi, it would be much better than a PSP having unlimited online gaming potential.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

As a Sprint customer, I'm very much liking this! Although, I'd prefer a CDMA version of the HTC Universal, this one looks pretty nice.

I wonder if Sprint will have the rumored Treo 670 and how the two would compare...