Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Rumoured iPAQ rx1950 Receives FCC Approval

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet...&fcc_id='NM8BG'

We've posted on the rumoured HP iPAQ rx1950 / rx1955 a couple of times before (here and here), and now it appears to have received FCC approval. However, it's all rumours at this stage. Due to a confidentiality agreement, the name of the device and most of its specifications have been withheld from the documents.

If rumours are correct though, the rx1950 / rx1955 will feature a Samsung S3C2442 300MHz processor, 32MB RAM, 64MB ROM, a 3.5" QVGA (240x320) 65K-colour screen, SDIO, 802.11b Wi-Fi, IR, and a 1100mAh Li-Ion battery.

Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

In my opinion, HP has, in the hx4700, one of the best VGA Pocket PC's in the market. So instead of improving on that as soon as possible, we continue to get underpowered, overpriced low-end devices. HP may think that they can sell more cheap devices in quantity than they can quality devices in smaller numbers, but that assumes that the "cheap" device is truly cheap. With a rumored $300 price tag, that does not define "cheap".

Old 09-14-2005, 03:32 PM
rob_ocelot
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleReeck
In my opinion, HP has, in the hx4700, one of the best VGA Pocket PC's in the market. So instead of improving on that as soon as possible, we continue to get underpowered, overpriced low-end devices. HP may think that they can sell more cheap devices in quantity than they can quality devices in smaller numbers, but that assumes that the "cheap" device is truly cheap. With a rumored $300 price tag, that does not define "cheap".
Agreed. What a waste of what was a terrific form factor. For $50 less than what the H4150 retailed for you get less (or around the same) processor power, the same screen resolution, no change in battery capacity, and less wireless flexibility (no BT).

This is their 'improvement' on a 2 year old design?

On the upside you get WM5 and the ability to rotate the screen -- Woo!

This just adds more insult to injury when HP refused to provide an SE upgrade a last year.

If you really MUST have this form factor do youself a favor and buy a H4150 off ebay ($200-250 average) and get PPCtechs to do a 128MB upgrade. If you must have on-the-fly screen rotation use Nyditot 4.22.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
dazz
Theorist

Maybe they are planning on this being much cheaper. Afterall, the $300 is only a rumour.

I have, and really like, the 4150 and I think there would be a LOT of consumers that would snap these up for a good price. All of us here get used to seeing the specs and the top-of-the-line gear but many users are only casual users and don't care about the fine details as much.

If this was more like $200 or $250 then I could see a lot of people going for it. Keep in mind that Dell's cheapest Axim is listing for $389, so even $300 isn't terrible.

I'm pretty sure that a decent unit that has a nice form factor and it more like $250 might do well. HP would probably make some good margin on it as it is a form factor that was already being used.

Old 09-14-2005, 05:16 PM
IpaqMan2
Theorist

Maybe it's me.. but with what's already available this pretty much seems like a step back for PDAs. The only way this could in anyway be looked at as a step forward is if the price tag was near or at the spontaneous level, (like $200 bucks or less).

Personally I am waiting for something to replace my 4355... but looking at the market I don't see this happening unless I go with a PDA Phone which I wont due to the cost of the device and the cost of the data and voice plan at this time.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

I gotta agree that the price of this thing is what is going to make or break it. I think it is featured well for those consumers that use it exactly as it comes out of the box. You'd probably be surprised at how many do just that. For that segment, it seems to fit in with the Zire 31 ($130) and Zire $72 ($250). It does much more than the 31, but the 72 has BT and a camera, instead of WiFi. Those are MSRP prices too. $220 for the 72 is common. Any more than that and the average guy looking at the PDA display at CompUSA, is going to have a hard time picking the HP.

Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
jickbahtech
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to jickbahtech

I've got customers that bought rx3xxx series ipaqs that are massively ticked off. The last hold out for the upgrade was maybe some issue using Samsung processors, and the first HP ipaq out the door with WM5 is this.

Quite a few people are very unhappy...

On a lighter note, while I agree that this is a step backwards (much like the rz1700 was when it came out), it is good to see the 4150 form factor back. I always loved the look of that PPC.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:06 PM
aNiMeMaN14
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to aNiMeMaN14

lol, what's with the axes on the pic? i think i was able to figure those out myself 8)

Old 09-14-2005, 07:16 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Design: A+
Spec: D-

Conclusion: Yet another vaporware by HP.... :roll:

Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

If they do re-use h4100 form factor, it may also show up in other high end models too. So it is actually a good news. Don't care about rx1900, I don't think anybody here will buy it.