Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 09-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Typhoon
Sage
Default Gizmondo?

Has anyone tried this one out? It looks like it might have better hardware than the DS & PSP? Anyone think this is true?

Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 AM
Fishie
Pontificator
Default Re: Gizmondo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon
Has anyone tried this one out? It looks like it might have better hardware than the DS & PSP? Anyone think this is true?
As a games journalist yah I tried it out.
Its got decent specs(not as high as the PSP but definitly higher then the DS) but as the DS is proviong right now by absolutely trouncing worldwidePSP sales, in a mass market handheld those are not THAT important.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Gizmondo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon
I'd love to think it'll succeed, but as far as the foreseeable future is concerned, it may turn out to be a flop. Sony are heavily marketing the PSP as the all-round handheld gaming device, and Nintendo aren't doing a bad job either with the DS.

If you walk down the road and pull any kid off the road, chances are they will have heard of the PSP and the DS, but not the Gizmondo. Without heavy marketing and a wide support base, the outlook seems bleak, and it may just turn out to be another Zodiac.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 AM
kaitanium
Theorist

yea, the psp has the market

Old 09-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Fishie
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanium
yea, the psp has the market
No they dont.
Seriously people THEY DONT.
They are losing against an incumbent running on archaic hardware.

Old 09-01-2005, 06:28 PM
kaitanium
Theorist

well, ask people what a psp is and they will tell you straight up, ask people what a gizmondo is and theyll be like giz who? gizmodo.com? what?

Old 09-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
No they dont.
I'm not sure. I have few numbers, and of course you monitor the market much more closely than me, but I have to say, my informal "subway observations" shows PSPs seriously trouncing DS adoption in the NY area. I see, on average, one PSP in almost every subway ride I take in the midday, and today I saw two. There also was the recent headline about how UMDs are selling very well in the US (which, of course, could be because of the lack of games). As for DSes, I see maybe one a week. Of my friends, several have PSPs, and none have DSes.

Perhaps it's different in different regions or different countries?

--janak

Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 AM
guinness
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie
No they dont.
I'm not sure. I have few numbers, and of course you monitor the market much more closely than me, but I have to say, my informal "subway observations" shows PSPs seriously trouncing DS adoption in the NY area. I see, on average, one PSP in almost every subway ride I take in the midday, and today I saw two. There also was the recent headline about how UMDs are selling very well in the US (which, of course, could be because of the lack of games). As for DSes, I see maybe one a week. Of my friends, several have PSPs, and none have DSes.

--janak
Well I've never seen anyone else with a PSP (although a few have asked me about it), let alone with a DS, however considering that Nintendogs supposedly sold 250,000 copies in the US (based on Nintendo's numbers, mind you), that's probably more than all of Sony's games put together in the US. I can't figure out Nintendogs however; looks like a great technology demo, but where's the game? Reminds me of a more interactive Tamagotchi-type app. I like the animation on the dogs however.

There hasn't been any PSP games worth merit since April, but it usually takes a year before it seems like a system really takes off. Around me (metro Detroit), it could be that both systems are slow sellers, and that most people are gearing up for the X360/PS3/Revolution.

The Gizmodo reminds me too much of the N-Gage; it's trying to be a beefed-up phone, but with an ugly design and not a lot of backing.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitanium
well, ask people what a psp is and they will tell you straight up, ask people what a gizmondo is and theyll be like giz who? gizmodo.com? what?
Then look at what is actually selling and has sold in the largest numbers and between the PSP and the DS the DS remains champion.

Old 09-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Fishie
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Janak ParekhI'm not sure. I have few numbers, and of course you monitor the market much more closely than me, but I have to say, my informal "subway observations" shows PSPs seriously trouncing DS adoption in the NY area. I see, on average, one PSP in almost every subway ride I take in the midday, and today I saw two. There also was the recent headline about how [url=http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050829-5252.html
UMDs are selling very well in the US[/url] (which, of course, could be because of the lack of games). As for DSes, I see maybe one a week. Of my friends, several have PSPs, and none have DSes.

--janak
The UMD figures are as Sony always does shipped numbers and not actually sold numbers, furthermore the 19 million figure is worldwide.

And yes you will see more people in the subway becouse of demographics, the PSP is sold more to adults.
Purely marketsize wise though they are clearly number two for now and the foreseeable future.