Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Unofficial Information on the HP iPAQ rx1950/rx1955

http://www.todopocketpc.com/foro/sh...ead.php?t=68546

Spanish website, Todo Pocket PC, has posted some unofficial information on an upcoming iPAQ known as the rx1950/rx1955. There's no word yet on how reliable this information is, but according to the site, it stems from a trustworthy source. The rx1950/rx1955 will be one of the first new Windows Mobile 5.0-based iPAQs to be introduced into the market and it is said to feature a Samsung S3C2442 300MHz processor, 32MB RAM, 64MB ROM, a 3.5" QVGA (240x320) 65K-colour screen, SDIO, 802.11b Wi-Fi, IR, and a 1100mAh Li-Ion battery.

This seems like a hybrid of the rz1710 and the rx3715. In my opinion, the specifications aren't spectacular, and if HP decide to go ahead with this, they probably could have done a lot better by simply offering a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade for the rx3000 Mobile Media Companion series instead.

Translation: Spanish to English (Google)

Old 08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
surur
Mystic

So basically instead of using Persistant Storage to improve people's experience re limited ram, HP decided to use it save $2 by buying only 32Mb ram. This device is essentially exactly the same as a 64Mb wm2003se ppc with no file store, and you wont be able to increase available ram by moving things into filestore either.

It better be a very small, cheap and attractive unit to make up for its poor specs.

Surur

Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Tim Rapson
Pupil
Default Dell too

Dell sent out their first Fall circular this week and the X30 is not in there. Dell.com no longer shows the low end X30s, only the 624 MZ model.

Looks like the shrinking sales are showing. Models are being dropped. Market niches left open as there are too few sales to justify development cost for for models that sell in the 10s of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands.

I wonder if Dell might be left completely with it's current X50 or if they will add a camera model or phone model to keep up with HP. It looks like the future holds pretty lean pickings for those of us who like to watch new models arriving.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
surur
Mystic
Default Re: Dell too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rapson
It looks like the future holds pretty lean pickings for those of us who like to watch new models arriving.
Except for phone devices, which are really exciting currently.

Surur

Old 08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
kiwi
Thinker

hmm.. interesting specs.. I noticed no mention of Bluetooth?

b

Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I would have thought HP learned it's lesson with the lousy response it received to the 1950/55 line it offered. This sounds like a marginal device at best. If it's priced over about $149, it won't be successful. If they are smart and hit at the low end of the market with aggressive pricing, however, they could steal a lot of Palms volume.

Curious to see if they go back to the popular 1930/40 design, or if they stick with boxy recent designs. Bottom line is this seems to be a way to sell an OS upgrade for a couple hundred bucks....

Old 08-24-2005, 02:52 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

I have not seen anything I like in that PPC.
The question that I�m asking myself is... is not HP thinking about to release a new VGA device after having delayed the upgrade to WM5 for the hx4700 series? If this is true I really believe that this is the best moment to let know about it

Old 08-24-2005, 02:58 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

:sleeping: I'm getting rather used to the lack of anything exciting in Pocket PC news these days, and this device is no exception. First, mobile messengers with 240x240, then some more uninspiring new models coming out. What gives, HP?

Old 08-24-2005, 04:51 PM
PerkyNerky
Pupil

Wow..... HP are a long way from the glory days of the 4150.....

Old 08-24-2005, 05:02 PM
cubed
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyNerky
Wow..... HP are a long way from the glory days of the 4150.....
My thoughts exactly. I still haven't changed mine in for a new model.

I'm tempted when the Axim X51 is released this fall.