Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 08-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default How Do You Synchronize Your Email?

There are a number of options on the Pocket PC for getting your email and I am wondering how many of you do it. I have a number of POP3 accounts set up but for work, I used to use IMAP4 to my Exchange 2000 server at the office.

While it worked OK, I never set it up to automatically sync. It took forever and was a HUGE bandwidth hog on the device (GPRS) and 3 out of 4 times, it would simply fail because either my Pocket PC or Nokia phone that I used as a bluetooth modem needed a soft reset because of the oh-most-excellent-I-never-have-a-problem-with-it bluetooth connection method. :roll:

Now, I am on a PDA2K which has GPRS built in and our company recently moved to Exchange 2003. Exchange ActiveSync flat rocks. :rock on dude!: I am amazed at how fast it is, even over GPRS. The compression between the Pocket PC and server really speeds things up, especially file attachments like Excel and Word that compress really well. Having Exchange Sync has also allowed me to kill one of my filters that auto-forwarded emails from particular individuals to my MMS account. During business hours, I am synchronizing every 5 minutes and after hours and on weekends, I have Exchange set to ping my Pocket PC with an SMS to force a sync. I don't like having the SMS option on all of the time though. I don't know if it is a bug in the PDA2K or in Windows Mobile 2003SE, but when the fake SMS messages come in, they wake the device all of the way up, burning lots of battery power as the backlight even comes on. The 5-minute sync leaves the screen off, just sounding an alarm and flashing the red LED if a new message comes in.

If you have more than one account, use your most important email account as a basis for answering the poll but feel free to include additional information in the thread!

Old 08-13-2005, 09:27 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

I'd love to have an Exchange setup, but for now I'm using POP3 (with SSL). I have the option of using IMAP, but frankly I don't like having 15 different inboxes. I much prefer to have 15 POP3 accounts all delivered to one inbox, especially since 90% of my email comes to one account. Syncing via ActiveSync works good enough for my needs. I'm rarely away from my computer for more than a few hours or days at most. Receiving emails isn't usually vitally important, and I'm still able to send email from my Pocket PC at those times.

(Alright, just got back from watching the Perseid meteor shower for a bit, and since it's 4:30am here, I'm off to sleep. )

Old 08-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

I was thinking about signing up for a hosted Exchange email setup, but how much battery does something like that burn synchronizing every 5 minutes?

Right now I have T-Mobile's email triggers hacked off of my old 6315 iPAQ on my Jam and it works wonderfully. However, I wonder if it would be better to have one of these Exchange setups...

Old 08-13-2005, 11:52 AM
sralmas
Neophyte
Default Exchange on demand AND POP

I sync with my office exchange server, but only on my demand (not scheduled) and I also sync my personal email via a POP account.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Sooner Magic
Ponderer
Default Settings

Ed,
As a new owner of a Smartphone, I'm anxious to take advantage of the ability to always be 'connected'.

Can you provide instructions on how you set up your PPC?

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 PM
beedee
Pupil
Default Better than iAnywhere?

I was trying to set up a sync connection to our company Exchange Server via GPRS/GSM connection from my PPC. As the company allows access to the server only through a VPN connection, I was so far unable to make it work, as we could not get a VPN connection set up on the PPC - works fine from my WINXP laptop, though (--> any suggestions for a simple, small and cheap VPN client software for the PPC??).

In the meantime I found a product called iAnywhere which promises to work without the need for a VPN connection to get mail & calendar data synced with the Exchange server - even at much higher speed than Activesync.

I wonder if this would actually be an even better solution than the one described here? Anyone has experience with iAnyhwere and can compare/recommend?

Old 08-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Marcel_Proust
Theorist
Default Re: Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Magic
Ed,
As a new owner of a Smartphone, I'm anxious to take advantage of the ability to always be 'connected'.

Can you provide instructions on how you set up your PPC?

Thanks.
If your company has an exchange server, call IT to set it up.
If not, I highly recommend Mailstreet. I've found them very reliable.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver5
I was thinking about signing up for a hosted Exchange email setup, but how much battery does something like that burn synchronizing every 5 minutes?
For a PPCPhone, not much. It goes into an "unattended" mode so all syncing happens without the screen being on. For a normal PPC connected via bluetooth, not sure.

Old 08-13-2005, 01:48 PM
caubeck
Intellectual

Hi,

I'm new to downloading mail to my PDA, this article has just inspired me to work out how to do it in fact.

So I've set up a Pop 3 connection to my Gmail account.

I have three little questions, could anyone answer them in a few words?

Is there a way to make my phone emit a signal every time I get mail, or at least indicate new mail on the Today screen? I often keep it connected to the PC via USB while I'm working. I don't use any Today plug-ins at present except for a freeware launcher, and don't want any large agenda plugs.

How can I change the frequency that my ipaq 19xx checks for new mail? I have entered all the options at the inbox screen. I want to change it from every 2 minutes to each 1 minute.

Finally, I notice that when one unread message sits in the box and another arrives, the original disappears without trace (it's not in the recycle bin). Um, huh?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Peseta
Pupil

I don't sync (yet) with the 2003 Exchange server of my company.

Still a few glitches with our SonicWall VPN solution to work out, before we'll start syncing.

In the mean time I use Outlook Web Access (with Pocket IE) in landscape mode a few times a day when I'm away from the office.

This works quite nicely:
- All(most) format of the messages is retained
- I can see all headers (which read / unread, title, and select which one to read
- I can "download" an attachment if I wish to, saving costly data (GPRS) if I don't
- All actions will be saved in Exchange
- I can use allmost all functions of Outlook (f.i. reservation of a meetingroom or beamer in a calendar public folders)
- Very intuitive because the interface is almost the same as Outlook on my desktop PC

Actually the only thing I miss is recieving a signal when there is a new message. And it's very rara that I should react immediately on an email message (in urgent matters people still tend to call me)

So it might be that, when syncing with my office is possible, I'll only use it for my appointments and contacts.