Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Hitchhiker 0.3 Released

http://www.kasuei.com/hitchhiker/

"Hitchhiker helps you to connect your Pocket PC to the wireless Internet. Simply click "Connect" and it will try all nearby public access points. Hitchhiker will handle all settings for you and perform complicated tests to ensure you can connect to the Internet in no time."

Hitchhiker, the minimal-fuss wireless network manager, has just been updated to v0.3. It's packed with a host of new features and bug updates. Read on for the list of changes.

� Fixed problem with HP iPAQ hx2755 and HP iPAQ hx4700 (reported by beta testers)
� Fixed bug in looping the available network list (no longer try only first network)
� Support both WEP and WPA-PSK encryption
� Added "Allowed Network List", only those listed in the list will be connected
� Added "Set IP Address" function with "IP Fastlane" intelligent input
� Added WLAN power control. Hitchhiker will now turn on and off WLAN automatically
� Customized sound effect to alert you when you are connected or not
� Added "Start Skype for Pocket PC" to Quick Launch box
� More verbose message on different Internet tests
� DNS test prolonged from 8 seconds to 12 seconds for better accuracy with less responsive DNS servers
� Added warning message when running with .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2 or lower
� Auto login MSN Messenger if enabled (emulating behavior as if connected with GPRS)
� Keep backlight on when Connect button is pressed
� Added "Ignore by Network" to ignore access points with specified network name
� Increased readability with VGA device
� Configuration files now in indented XML format
� History files now moved to "\My Documents\Hitchhiker\History"
� Added red warning message when connected to public network
� Quick Launch box animation disabled when using Pocket PC with clock speed lower than 390MHz

Hitchhiker 0.3 is a free download - compatible with all Wi-Fi enabled Windows Mobile 2003 devices.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:26 PM
macattack
Pupil

The links take you to a page with version 0.2, not 0.3.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:29 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

Can someone clarify.....is the "set IP function" a feature that remebers whether a particular WLAN has DHCP or static addresses, and if static which address/gateway/DNS to use? If so, that's great as that is one feature missing from a lot of WLAN utilities (including Socket's excellent one).

Old 08-11-2005, 05:42 PM
martyh1
Pupil

Tried 0.3. Had to install .net cf sp3 first since I only had sp1, which kind of sucked.

I have an ipaq 4355. Hitchhiker lists a bunch of duplicates (up to about 10 or so) of the actual network I'd like to connect to. It continuously loops through displaying "associating", "failed" on most of them. On one it seems to loop through with "configuring". It never actually connects to any of them. Just doesn't work on my ipaq 4355. Oh well. Thought there might be some improvement over the built-in display of "Configure Wireless Networks". But the built-in one works for me good enough I guess.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack
The links take you to a page with version 0.2, not 0.3.
Try again. They point to v0.3 for me.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:57 PM
krisdb
Neophyte

Has anyone gotten this program to work with the Dell Axim x30? I installed version 0.2 and it would never connect to a my WEP-enabled router and would lockup/crash and it screwed up my network connections so bad, that I had to do a hard reset to totally get rid of it. I like the idea of the program and want to use it.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM
T-Will
Sage

I see it supports WPA-PSK but does it support WPA-AES? Which do you guys recommend I use on my home network, AES or PSK?

Old 08-11-2005, 07:52 PM
EddieH28
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to EddieH28 Send a message via AIM to EddieH28 Send a message via MSN to EddieH28 Send a message via Yahoo to EddieH28

i cant seem to find where i download the software. when i click on the hitchhiker link it takes me back to the same page

Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Compulim
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Compulim

krisdb: We are not a company and only have very limited device in our hand: HP iPAQ h4150, rx3715 and Prism WLAN CF. Therefore, our testing is very limited. Please understand our situation. If Hitchhiker caused any inconveniences to you, please accept our apologize.

T-Will: WPA-PSK in Hitchhiker is encrypted by TKIP (less secure). You can elect to use WPA-PSK (AES) by setting it manually in WM2003 built-in WLAN manager. Hitchhiker will automatically use the key stored in WM2003 for authentication. WPA method (not WPA-PSK) is not supported in this release because we do not have RADIUS infrastructure to test out our code.

martyh1: Hitchhiker recommends (but not require) SP3 because Microsoft do fix a lot of bugs in SP3. Those bugs are related to multi-threading and we are unable to make a workaround for them. I am 60% sure Hitchhiker will crash if it is running on SP1 or lower.

brianchris: Hitchhiker will not guess the IP address for you for two reason: 1) Hitchhiker may classified as hacker tools, 2) it takes 5-15 seconds to change IP and require reconnection. The IP settings form is designed to help you change IP address with as little clicks as possible. We call it "IP Fastlane" input.

I have forget to pack two .WAV files in the setup and just released a revised version. You can easily spot the difference between 0.3 and 0.3 revised version by the File menu. File menu in the revised version contains About screen and will tell you its version is 0.3.4091.

Thanks Darius for the news.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
martyh1
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compulim
martyh1: Hitchhiker recommends (but not require) SP3 because Microsoft do fix a lot of bugs in SP3. Those bugs are related to multi-threading and we are unable to make a workaround for them. I am 60% sure Hitchhiker will crash if it is running on SP1 or lower.
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't have considered it much of a problem to install sp3 except that the program doesn't work for me. Now I have sp3 installed for no reason really.