Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 08-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft SyncToy: That Syncing Feeling

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en

Increasingly, computer users are using different folders, drives, and even different computers (such as a laptop and a desktop) to store and retrieve files. There are new sources of files coming from every direction: digital cameras, e-mail, cell phones, portable media players, camcorders, PDAs, and laptops. Yet managing hundreds or thousands of files is still largely a manual operation. In some cases it is necessary to move files from one place to another; in other cases there is a need to keep two storage locations exactly in sync. Some users manage files manually, dragging and dropping from one place to another and keeping a mental card catalog in their heads. Others use one or more applications of one sort or another to provide this functionality for them."

I'm a synchronisation nut, but hey, being a Windows Mobile user, why wouldn't I be? Leaving my Pocket PC out of the equation, I have this deep obsession with keeping a set of folders synchronised between my server and my laptop. I'm the sort of person that does a lot of typing day and night, so with all the documents that gets saved on to my laptop, it's always nice having a backup copy on my server (just in case). That's where Microsoft SyncToy comes into play. When I learned of the beta release on Tuesday, I jumped on it in a flash - eager to see whether it would function the way I wanted it to.

SyncToy features a great, user-friendly interface. Step 1 involves creating a folder pair. Step 2 involves defining a set of actions you want performed on each folder pair. For example, you can:

� Synchronize: New and updated files are copied both ways. Renames and deletes on either side are repeated on the other.
� Echo: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.
� Subscribe: Updated files on the right are copied to the left if the file name already exists on the left.
� Contribute: New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames on the left are repeated on the right. No deletions.
� Combine: New and updated files are copied both ways. Nothing happens to renamed and deleted files.

Sure, that all seems confusing at first, but you get used to it. SyncToy's preview function is also worth a mention. It allows you to preview any actions before they are initiated, and if you wish to make changes to the sequence of events, it's only a point-and-click affair. Overall, the transfer process is very quick - I managed to synchronise over 100MB worth of files over an 802.11g connection in a matter of seconds.

Before you get all excited and ask, SyncToy does not work with the Pocket PC / Smartphone "Mobile Device" folder, since it's more of a virtual directory than anything else. Of course, that's a real shame, but not an issue you can say is a direct fault of SyncToy itself. It is still worth a look if you're after a quick, easy-to-use PC synchronisation tool. It requires Windows XP and the .NET Framework 1.1, and is a free download following Windows validation. Yes, you'll love that syncing feeling (no, not sinking).

Old 08-05-2005, 08:09 PM
T-Will
Sage

I'll have to check this out when I get home!

Will it automatically detect when you're connected to your home network and start the synchronization automatically?

Old 08-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Looks like a fairly straight forward answer to an old problem common to individual users with a desktop and laptop, or home and work desktops and a laptop. With a server environment, network based folders set up for offline access can take care of much of this.

I've been using an app from http://www.scootersoftware.com/ called Beyond Compare for something similar, but it is a bit more effort to set up it seems. Once set up, it's a one click thing though.

Shame MS didn't think to include syncing Outlook installations between a desktop and a portable device (laptop/tablet). I use my PPC to take care of that synchronization, but am hampered by the two partner limit on the PPC. Guess no one at MS has a desktop at work and at home and a laptop. :? Either that or they all just rely on Exchange to keep everything in one place, and they don't use notes or tasks or files.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:13 PM
lapchinj
Thinker
Default Re: Microsoft SyncToy: That Syncing Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
...Before you get all excited...
Too late I already am. This is beautiful. This is what I always wanted/needed.... I downloaded, installed and am now running the utility all within 5 minutes of reading your post 8) . I hope this will lead to the true sync'ng feeling of life as opposed to the sinking feeling I get when my docs go south.

Thanks, this was a great post. :ladysman: your great

Jeff-

Old 08-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Deemo
Intellectual

Jason pointed me to what still seems to be one of the best solutions:

www.foldershare.com

Old 08-06-2005, 12:26 AM
lapchinj
Thinker

The utility ran extremely fast and two directory structures of about 14gb. The utility crapped out the first time because of directory/path depth of more than 260 chars (no big deal). The files are all there (I did a combine the first time) but the utility doesn't seem to sync empty directories which really shouldn't be a problem if nothing is in them. But I look at a directory as a file and it should really be there. Especially in a development environment where directories can be empty but become important during a build. I'll have to look into this in order to get a handle on it. I guess I'll start on the MS site.

Otherwise it ran flawlessly. Definately worth the download. I sync'd these folders across drives so I now have a hot (sort of) backup on different hardware. Now let's see what MS has to say about adding scheduling.

:alfdance: There couldn't be happier way to start a weekend off :alfdance:
(well maybe a lottery could...)

Jeff-

Old 08-06-2005, 12:39 AM
lapchinj
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemo

www.foldershare.com
Yeah I looked into that also - very nice. But what this solution affords me is a simple way of keeping folders sync'd up as opposed to being able to access my files from anywhere in the world. The biggest problem I had with FolderShare was using company bandwidth. They would complain when the bandwidth meter would rise when I would VPN in and try and transfer files. The red tape and the explanations were too much to handle so I dropped the whole thing.

Jeff-

Old 08-06-2005, 01:02 AM
Deemo
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapchinj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemo

www.foldershare.com
Yeah I looked into that also - very nice. But what this solution affords me is a simple way of keeping folders sync'd up as opposed to being able to access my files from anywhere in the world. The biggest problem I had with FolderShare was using company bandwidth. They would complain when the bandwidth meter would rise when I would VPN in and try and transfer files. The red tape and the explanations were too much to handle so I dropped the whole thing.

Jeff-
All I use Foldershare for is the syncing capability - especially nice for sync'd Bookmarks in IE (the other function being my consulting timesheets and invoices) and for two folders it's free.

For file access it's still PCAnywhere or Remote Desktop. I can't see why they would complain unless you were syncing all your mp3's etc.
I think the main thing to do is not get carried away with too many files/folders - set up a "sync'd My Documents" with just a few files.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:04 AM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapchinj
Now let's see what MS has to say about adding scheduling.
You can already do scheduling. See the help file under SyncToy How To Topics > Scheduling SyncToy.

I scheduled mine for 4AM daily syncs, so I'll see how well it works tonight.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:34 AM
Deemo
Intellectual

Hhhmmmmmm......you can only share over your own network or attached storage devices

I was hoping you could share between two non-networked PC's like you can with Foldershare.

Am I missing something here??? :?: