Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Bloodhound "Gun": Pocket PC-Based Rogue WiFi Sniffer

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archiv...on_the_sch.html

"The fellows from the shmoo group really outdid themselves with a "Bloodhound" gun. It's a low cost 'gun' made from a Pocket PC and some off the shelf parts that can find rogue Wireless access points. It's not only useful, it's incredibly cool looking, we're going to try and get a HOW TO on MAKE. Here's a photo gallery..."

pt writes in with yet another interesting and very cool project. The above picture speaks for itself. :lol: Plus, they've reused an old iPAQ instead of committing it to the grave. :way to go:

Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM
JMckie
Pupil

One question. What is the definition of a "rogue" wireless access point?

Old 08-02-2005, 04:09 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMckie
One question. What is the definition of a "rogue" wireless access point?
An access point set up by an intruder made to look like a legitimate access point, causing users to connect and use the rogue AP without knowing.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Radimus
Ponderer

It looks to be something like an ipaq with an external antenna in a narrow shielded tube, mounted on a wrist rocket. Combine that with wififofum and GPS (and an external battery pack)

It looks like they are using a real wireless router instead of a CF, SD, or integrated wireless card

I'd have mounted a yagi antenna and rifle scope on it just for visual effect :-) and maybe the components out of a lightsaber toy for sound effects

BTW, rogue could mean any not yours. I could see it used by IT on a work or school campus... it looks to be more trouble than necessary for wardriving

Old 08-02-2005, 06:09 PM
sundown
Theorist

Maybe this goes without saying but I'd be careful pointing that thing around, or anything that remotely looks "gunnish" (my word ). You may be asked to drop it with a real gun pointed at you. I think the fact that this looks "gunnish" will draw much unwanted attention.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Mitch D
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundown
Maybe this goes without saying but I'd be careful pointing that thing around, or anything that remotely looks "gunnish" (my word ). You may be asked to drop it with a real gun pointed at you. I think the fact that this looks "gunnish" will draw much unwanted attention.
I can understand your concerns to some extent but I would think that any officer that mistakens this for anything closely resembling a firearm should consider having a serious eye exam done A.S.A.P.

Having been exposed to firearms regularly (I spend a fair amount of time at the shooting range) I can't see how anyone could see it as anything but what it is.

Although it would be fun to stand beside a busy roadway and see how many people slam on thier breaks thinking your aiming a radar gun at them.... :twisted: