Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default More (Black) HTC Universal Pictures!

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2534

"At least I've managed to finalize the photos of the HTC Universal Pocket PC Phone Edition, also known as T-Mobile MDA Pro (previously announced as MDA IV), Vodafone VPA IV or Orange SPV M5000. While I'm still working on the general review of this fantastic device, at least it's the first Windows Mobile UMTS device where you can enjoy real wireless Internet speed, I want to share the photos with you already. Please note, the device I've photographed here is a "vanilla" development device and not related to a carrier. This means we don't have to see it necessarily in black but the carriers are free to chose the color. Anyway, it seems HTC have build most of the development devices in black, as seen from other photos as well."

Arne from the::unwired has put together a fantastic collection of pictures of a black HTC Universal. Out of the two versions, I prefer the black, and I know many of you do too. If maxing out your drool-o-meter is all you're concerned about, then the::unwired is the place to visit. 8)

Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 PM
piperpilot
Sage

Has there been any word as to whether the Universal will be offered in the U.S., and if so, when?

Old 07-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Bruno Figueiredo
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Bruno Figueiredo

Apart from having all the features I want on a PPC, it looks really cheap. C'mon, this will cost 800 bucks. Why the cheap plastic?

Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 PM
BUMP THAT
Intellectual

Very true, they could have gone with a magnesium type or any other alloy. But I guess they wanted that cheap black look. However I still like it. Now if I can get a EXT Battery for this thing, there is no doubt I am will buy it.

I just cant resist black or silver/chrome colored gadgets.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:30 AM
saru83
Thinker

This is a BEAST, I WANT ONE...

I agree that the plastic looks cheap, but i dont think that this will be the case in the produciton model.

Hey "piperpilot", In the case of if it will be available in the US or not, this is not a big deal coz u can get it form suppliers like EXPANSYS.

The ideal question is that WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE COMMERCIALLY??? ANY BODY KNOWS??? coz if anytime after September than i will go for the BENQ P50 for now!!

Regards,
Sarwat

Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru83
The ideal question is that WHEN WILL IT BE AVAILABLE COMMERCIALLY??? ANY BODY KNOWS??? coz if anytime after September than i will go for the BENQ P50 for now!!
The buzz is that i-mate and O2 will officially announce it sometime late September. You do the math. Can you wait? :lol:

Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 AM
saru83
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
The buzz is that i-mate and O2 will officially announce it sometime late September. You do the math. Can you wait? :lol:
if thats the case, then i'm gonna wait, coz this is a much better device than the Benq P50 :wink:

Old 07-29-2005, 09:28 AM
stevelam
Thinker

O2 in the UK are releasing in September according to people in their PPC deparment.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM
zohaer21
Ponderer
Default USING NORMAL GSM SIMS???

hi can any one confirm whether the htc universal can use normal gsm sims and not only usims???
otherwise i should look to buy something else coz where we live we dont have edge or utms service

Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelam
O2 in the UK are releasing in September according to people in their PPC deparment.
They are being rather optimistic there - HTC say they will begin production of the Universal in September. That means it will be October at the earliest before we see them available to buy (and even then - so far there are at least four mobile networks, with branches in several countries, not to mention i-mate - which means the odds of getting one before November/December aren't great).