Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default TDS Releases a New Line of Ranger Rugged Handhelds

http://www.tdsway.com/products/ranger

"CORVALLIS, Ore., July 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Tripod Data Systems (TDS) today released the next generation of its popular TDS Ranger(TM) rugged handheld computer. The new Ranger features available integrated Bluetooth and 802.11b wireless capabilities along with two CompactFlash (CF) slots and a Secure Digital (SD) slot for unprecedented expandability. The next-generation Ranger handheld computer also offers a faster, more powerful Intel XScale processor and more RAM, while retaining separate navigation, alpha and numeric keypads. As with all TDS rugged handhelds, the Ranger continues to meet MIL-STD-810F military standards for drops, vibration and temperature extremes. It also maintains an IP67 rating, meaning it's impervious to water and dust."

TDS has just announced two new models in its Ranger line. The Ranger 300X includes a 312MHz XScale processor, 64MB RAM, and 256MB embedded Flash. The Ranger 500X includes a 520MHz processor, 128MB RAM, 512MB embedded Flash, and Bluetooth. Both models include two CF slots and one SD slot, and come bundled with a standard 6600mAh Li-Ion battery. 802.11b is an optional component for both. Click here for the press release.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Foo Fighter
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Foo Fighter

WOW! It's amazing that so many new Windows Mobile devices are being announced lately, running 2003se. One would expect to see version 5. I suppose this means we won't see hardware running 5 until next year. Unless you buy an Axim of course.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter
WOW! It's amazing that so many new Windows Mobile devices are being announced lately, running 2003se. One would expect to see version 5. I suppose this means we won't see hardware running 5 until next year. Unless you buy an Axim of course.
I know. Rugged or not, a lot of recent announcements have been suffering from the no-WM5 blues.

In the world of rugged handhelds though, I was talking to Symbol at MEDC AU and discovered that they would be releasing Windows Mobile 5.0 updates for a wide range of devices. I've always loved the Symbol rugged form factor, so this is definitely something I'm looking forward to. However, not to stray away from the news of TDS's release, I'm hoping they follow a similar upgrade path.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:57 PM
bjornkeizers
Sage

It makes sense though. 2003se may be 'old', but it's also reliable and proven. If my business depended on these units, then I'd want a proven OS over the bleeding edge stuff. And most of the business or rugged oriented programs will run on both, so it makes sense for the end users and the companys that make the units to wait and see a little while.