Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Krome Spy Launched

http://krome.com.au/

Remember the Australian-made Krome Spy we reported on a couple of months ago? It's finally been released, and is essentially another variant of the HTC Magician. A couple of sites have been reporting that the Spy is now available in Australia, although I'm not so sure if that's the case. i-mate and O2 have always been Australia's biggest carriers of HTC's devices, making the need for another Magician remake pointless. In addition, based on what I've seen and heard about Krome, they're an Australian company manufacturing devices solely for the Indian market. Any readers from India able to confirm or refute my hunch?

Old 07-13-2005, 05:06 AM
MitchellO
Oracle

Haven't seen this available anywhere. The only Magicians I have seen are the JAM and the Mini. The Mini is more easily available from stores, while I have seen the JAM on contract from Telstra. Both are available on eBay AU (Where I got me Mini).

Haven't seen anything about this device here though. I remember you posting about this a few months ago, and I still don't like this new look that the M500 and this device have.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:53 AM
freitasm
Oracle

I always thought Krome didn't sell in Australia - check their releases and configurations, it looks like their major market is in India :| ...

Old 07-13-2005, 06:14 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

I have the i-mate Jam (upgrade to 128mb from PPC Techs) and I would love to have the look from that one. The darker silver really looks good.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Typhoon
Sage

...all these HTC products look completely the same...why?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:46 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Because the ones you're looking at ARE the same. The Spy, Mini, and Jam are all different names for the same model, the HTC Magician. HTC sells it to other companies, they rebrand it, and sell it as their own. Hence, a bunch of different names.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitasm
I always thought Krome didn't sell in Australia - check their releases and configurations, it looks like their major market is in India :| ...
My thoughts exactly. Guess there's been a bit of confusion floating around about which market this device is meant for.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Typhoon
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBrown
Because the ones you're looking at ARE the same. The Spy, Mini, and Jam are all different names for the same model, the HTC Magician. HTC sells it to other companies, they rebrand it, and sell it as their own. Hence, a bunch of different names.
...Just like Sony's super expensive laptops...

Old 07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
dreamtheater39
Neophyte
Default KROME, well, I know all about it and more!

Hey all!

I live in India, and am a big time gadget freak!
Its a really sad story here in India when it comes to pocket pcs!

The scene was such that there was no way you could buy, or source a pocket pc in india. A lame ass individual saw this as an oppurtunity, and got a silly deal with the company e-charge in australia. He started off small time, just reselling IMate pocket pc phones back here. There is no service centre (well, theres one, but its an excuse for one!), theres no support team, its just a one man show!

He began to sell telling people that they were "O2" phones as people here in india are ignorant, and are kind of aware of O2. After this, O2 decided to come down to India, mainly because, this freak was selling IMate ppcs as O2 phones, giving crappy support, and projected a bad image of O2. So since then, he has been put out of business, to a fairly large extent, and started this new brand called "KROME" as a spin off to O2's entry.

Sad stuff, its not a company, its a single guy selling a few ppcs here and there!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:03 PM
Typhoon
Sage
Default Re: KROME, well, I know all about it and more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39
Hey all!

I live in India, and am a big time gadget freak!
Its a really sad story here in India when it comes to pocket pcs!

The scene was such that there was no way you could buy, or source a pocket pc in india. A lame a$$ individual saw this as an oppurtunity, and got a silly deal with the company e-charge in australia. He started off small time, just reselling IMate pocket pc phones back here. There is no service centre (well, theres one, but its an excuse for one!), theres no support team, its just a one man show!

He began to sell telling people that they were "O2" phones as people here in india are ignorant, and are kind of aware of O2. After this, O2 decided to come down to India, mainly because, this freak was selling IMate ppcs as O2 phones, giving crappy support, and projected a bad image of O2. So since then, he has been put out of business, to a fairly large extent, and started this new brand called "KROME" as a spin off to O2's entry.

Sad stuff, its not a company, its a single guy selling a few ppcs here and there!

San
If it's true, thanks for the info.