Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 07-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default MobileTechReview Reviews E-TEN's M500 Pocket PC Phone

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/e-TEN-M500.htm

"You've come a long way, E-TEN! We reviewed their P300B Pocket PC phone a year ago, and weren't impressed. E-TEN wants to be a major player in the PPC phone space and they've reinvented their product line with the M500. Like the i-mate JAM, the E-ten M500 is a compact Pocket PC Phone with a 2.8" transflective display. It's similar in size to the Treo 650 and close in size to the JAM, which means it can fit in a roomy pocket and you won't feel like you're holding a brick to your head when in conversation. The device runs Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for Pocket PC Phones and word is that E-TEN will offer a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade later this year."

From this review, it's clear Lisa really likes the M500, and looking at the pictures of the unit, I can see why. I'm glad HTC is not the only one making compact units. Are any of you happy M500 owners? What's your experience?

Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

After reading this review and a few threads over at howardforums I was really tempted to purchase this device.

After great pains I've decided to wait for the m600. Perhaps there will be other choices that also peak my interest.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
snayar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to snayar

Yeah, same here... I was about to purchase the Jam then I got interested on the M500 but after a few M600 reviews now I'm willing to wait for it. :lol:

Old 07-06-2005, 06:37 PM
jasondearyou
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to jasondearyou Send a message via MSN to jasondearyou

i'll rather have bt 1.2 and wifi, this is old man waitin for m600

Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I am a happy Eten M500 owner. However, there's one thing I want to point out to prospective buyers (not to dissuade them, but just be aware).

I posted this on a HowardForums thread, but I thought it would help out, and possibly add or correct to the reviewer's comments.

"99% of the desktops and laptops I connect my M500 via its USB cable automatically provide 5V power and ground through two of the connectors [in] the USB cable.

"Here's the kicker question: Why the hell did E-ten NOT put the round 5V AC connector either on the M500 or its cradle? Because they decided to put the connector on the USB cable itself, the cradle and AC adapter become useless if you decide to separate the USB cable from the kit for apparent reasons, like bringing just the cable to work or on a trip.

"Say you did something inadvertent, like I did today. I left my Eten USB cable at work and it's going to be a long holiday weekend. How will I provide power to the M500 now?

"All [present and future] M500 owners, make sure you provide yourself with a second charging station or cable immediately upon purchase, if you don't plan on separating the charging/syncing station it comes with in the box.

"As I was banging my head on the train's window from my seat, I hypothesized about the "USB host" connector on the back of the cradle. I figured it was just a reverse of the USB cable.

"I ran to CompUSA and picked up the CompUSA-branded Retractable USB Travel Kit, SKU #309757, $14.99 retail ($11.99 cost, I have hookups). It comes with 4 adapters: USB A-B, USB A-A, USB-Mini5, USB-Mini4. I connected the retractable cable to the back of the cradle, then the USB A-A adapter between the USB port of my PC and the retractable cable.

"Lo and behold, my M500 started charging. There's no synchronization, but at least I'll have a way to provide ample power over the long weekend.

"E-ten, I hope you're taking notes, because that was in all honesty, some piss-poor engineering and/or planning on their part. Either change your connector to a common sense, industry-standard mini-USB as the JAM did, or provide a spare cable right in the box."

Hope that says enough. There is no universal connector (looks like an iPAQ connector, but it's not), and the only place you can get accessories is if it's imported.

Some sites for accessories:

Vinko's Treasures
Flip-top case: http://www.vinko.com/php/shop/ebayli...sd=15.48196125
Bi-Fold case: http://www.vinko.com/php/shop/ebayli...sd=15.48196125

PC-Mobile
Sync & Charge cables: http://pc-mobile.net/eten.htm

Vendors/Distributors of Eten M500:

MadMonkeyBoy: http://www.dweiniger.com
Trends Mobile: http://www.trendsmobile.com/main/sho...roductID=99251
Smart Devices Direct: http://www.smartdevicesdirect.com/pr...roducts_id=769

Old 07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
ID64
Pupil

Totaly agree with Raphael143. That's the only flaw kind buged me, but by extra cable and battery just arrived from TrendsMobile yesterday, so it's not an issue anymore for me

I was also thinking to wait for E600, but than again - you can wait forever, there is always something newer is out there Also, I am not big fan of black color of E600 IMHO

Old 07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
snayar
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to snayar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID64
...I was also thinking to wait for E600, but than again - you can wait forever, there is always something newer is out there Also, I am not big fan of black color of E600 IMHO
Yes, I know, but for me it's essential to have WM5.0 and integrated WiFi. Besides, I would like to try the black colored housing, I'm tired of the metalic finish, in all my previous and current device (MDAII), it tends to fade very quickly!

Best regards,
Rayan

Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

Nah, I don't like this one. It looks sooo thick!

Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

But, if it had WiFi.......M600......

Old 07-07-2005, 12:50 AM
ID64
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellO
Nah, I don't like this one. It looks sooo thick!
It's not THAT thick It's much more comfortable to hold it than JAM. BTW, the sound quality of the speaker while using as the phone is way better that JAM, there is no comparsion. Also, Voice Dialing over a Bluetooth is a amazing. For the WIFI I have this small Spectec card, it only sticks out about 3 mm