Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-06-2005, 02:20 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default The Dell Axim X50v Wins a Product Design Award

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/top...=us&l=en&s=corp

"Dell's Axim X50v handheld, Photo Printer 540 and new Dell USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard were recognized here today with Red Dot Product Design Excellence Awards. The Red Dot design awards are announced annually by Design Zentrum Nordrhein Westfalen in Germany. The competition is divided into three sections - product design, communication design and concept design and receives more than 4,000 entries from 40 countries... Dell consulted M3 Design to help develop a handheld with the latest PDA technology in a slim, dual-slot design. The Axim X50v features a 3.7-inch VGA screen with up to four times the resolution of a standard QVGA handheld and delivers excellent productivity, web surfing, gaming, photo viewing and video playback."

I'm not the least bit surprised that Dell's Axim X50v won a product design award. In my opinion, it's one of the best all-rounders out there - and all at a suitable price too. The Red Dot Product Design Award recognises the X50v for its great design, media capabilities and wireless functionality. If you're a happy X50v user, then let it be known in this thread. :P

Dell USA is currently having a sale on the X50 handheld range. For a limited time, there's 20% off on all X50s (or 30% off the X50v Deal of the Week), free shipping, plus the free Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade CD when it is released.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Rod3
Intellectual

I'm definitely a happy X50V user. I have a lot of handhelds (too many), and the Dell is the best. I resisted getting it, because I do have the Loox and the Asus, but got a deal I couldn't pass up, and am surprised and happy with it.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:39 AM
miterb
Intellectual

After living with my Toshiba e740 for 3 years I jumped on the offer at the end of June to buy the Dell X50V for $418. What a great device the Dell is in comparison. Wi-Fi range seems about 50% greater than the 740. It initializes and gets connected effortlessly. I am really delighted.

I had been reading that the battery life was not great. Well, I can tell you that it is better than the Tosh was. Part of the deal was an extra battery, which is now charged and sitting in my desk drawer. I have not had to use it yet.

Brad

Old 07-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Duncan
Pontificator
Default Re: The Dell Axim X50v Wins a Product Design Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
If you're a happy X50v user, then let it be known in this thread. :P
Can I hiss and boo from the corner...? :wink:

Old 07-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:
Permission granted. Though there's no guarantee that you won't get "loox" from the Dell users. :P

Old 07-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Quote:
Permission granted. Though there's no guarantee that you won't get "loox" from the Dell users. :P
I'm sure I can 'dell' with that.... (*ahem*)

Old 07-06-2005, 03:24 AM
ventivent
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to ventivent

I've always been a fan of the Dell PPCs...in fact, it was the original X5 advanced that got me to switch from Palm, and I haven't looked back. Despite my transition to the all-in-one i-mate JAM, it's the x50v still gives me second thoughts about whether or not to go back to a dedicated PDA instead of a PPC phone.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Craig Horlacher
Contributing Editor
Default This was a worthy device!

It's not the one for me but it is worthy of this award. If it had 128MB of RAM, it would work for me.

I've heard of it after deals for under $300 and with both card slots, the 600MHz cpu, and that sick graphics subsystem, wow! I really wish they would have given it more ram...yeah, I know about pocketpctechs and have nothing against them - I'm just a wimp and it is an expensive deal plus I think I'd go nuts waiting for it to come back Of course, I paid more for me e830 - which I am happy with but someone please make a bluetooth keyboard stack for it!

Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 AM
lapchinj
Thinker

:multi: YEAH I finally picked a winner :multi:

I couldn't be happier the x50v is really great and I owe a special thanks to this forum for helping me make my choice. There really isn't anything else to add in this post since most of you have read all about all the cool features. All I can say is that it works like you want a PDA to work. And when the new MS OS comes out for the x50v I'll upgrade - sort of looking forward to that.

I do have one complaint though with the x50v. PocketSlay does not display well and is extremly slow and jerkey. Aside from a half dozen chess programs PockeSlay is the only game I play and it helps me unwind during a commute on the bus. This is the main reason for carrying 2 PPC's - my 4150 to play PocketSlay and the x50v for everything else :mrgreen: .

Jeff-

Old 07-06-2005, 04:12 AM
lapchinj
Thinker

Quote:
...Permission granted. Though there's no guarantee that you won't get "loox" from the Dell users. :P
No flamin' looxs though only funny loox :wink:

Jeff