Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Competition

Old 06-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Loox 720 vs. Palm LifeDrive Comparison

http://forum.solopalmari.com/viewtopic.php?t=3098

"The LifeDrive, commercialized from little weeks, is the last Pda produced from palmOne. Between the ' armi' best ones, it boasts microdrive integrated from 4Gb and width connettivit�, guaranteed from WiFi, Bluetooth and ' Drive Mode ', thanks to which whichever PC recognizes the device like pen drive a Usb. The Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX 720 is considered, to various months from its arrival, one of best the PocketPc existing: Vga screen, double quantity protocol wireless, slot Cf-Sd I/O, Usb Host, camera double integrated. Between these models of tip we have imagined a virtual duel, a synthetic comparison (to which it will follow more deepened book review) that only implicitly it recalls also the old one contesa between PalmOs or PocketPc. The question to which we will try to give answer is: which of the two it will be palmare more within from the market, in the next few months?"

This poor English translation, available here, is nevertheless an interesting comparative look between the two units. I think the above screenshot makes it abundantly clear that VGA is the future, and considering the 720 has a CF slot, I'd much rather have a 720 + a large CF card or Microdrive as opposed to a LifeDrive.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:55 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

I love translations. "All your base are belong to us"

I don't know if its fair to compare the two. If your are a Palm guy, you'd probably want the Lifedrive. If you are a PPC guy, you would want the Loox 720 - which, incidently is what I have

If you have neither and are new to PDA's and need to pick one, I would think it comes down more to PPC vs Palm than it would Loox vs Lifedrive. Picking the desired platform is the more important issue over the specific hardware IMO.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I think that these types of comparisons are interesting to read. Unfortunately, once some puts "Out of box" as a stipulation, one side gets deflated pretty quickly.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 06-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Xad
Neophyte

That's an automatic Google "translation"...

Old 06-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

They don't sell these things (LOOX) in the US do they? I was interested in the very first Loox to come out but not interested enough to pay the extra costs of importing one to the US.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:24 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic!
They don't sell these things (LOOX) in the US do they? I was interested in the very first Loox to come out but not interested enough to pay the extra costs of importing one to the US.
I got mine from Expansys USA. No extra import cost required. It was $499 plus I paid for overnight shipping.

I like the device, probably the best one I ever had. SD and CF slots, WiFi, bluetooth v1.2, consumer IR (with the port on the top where it should be), VGA, pretty fast (520MHZ processor). Its also been very stable despite lots of software installed, no annoying problems or driver errors when using the WiFi and bluetooth. It also has a 1.2MP camera, which works decent outdoors, but useless indoors. Its got the best quality and loudest built in speaker I've ever heard.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 PM
lapchinj
Thinker
Default Re: Loox 720 vs. Palm LifeDrive Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
"The LifeDrive... is the last Pda produced from palmOne..."...
Is this supposed to say 'last' or "latest'? Because if it's the last then it's a moot point what DaleReeck says about being only a choice between platforms for newbies. Which IMHO there is a moot point anyway :wink: .

Quote:
I'd much rather have a 720 + a large CF card or Microdrive as opposed to a LifeDrive.
Me Too :mrgreen: But I'm really happy with my Dell X50v also :mrgreen:

Jeff-

Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 PM
krypticide
Ponderer

I saw the LifeDrive at the airport once, and it was hideous. It has a bevel on the rim, which makes the device even more of a brick than it would otherwise be, and doesn't seem to add much volume to pack stuff in. In any case, after having gone VGA, I can't go back.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:22 AM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

You know what this comparison did make me think, though? "The icons on the Pocket PC suck."

In terms of functionality, of course I like my current Windows Mobile device (Asus MyPal A730W) more than anything I've used before.

But in terms of graphic design, I think the Newton and the Palm OSes both have a better understanding of icons: They should be immediately identifiable. A hard black outlined iconic object is much easier to see than a soft VGA illustration.

I found the same thing back in my Mac days, when moving from OS 9 to OS X: suddenly the icons became pictures, and I had to think every time I looked for an application or a file. And as web usability expert Steve Krug says in his book, the first rule of interface design should be, as the title says, "Don't Make Me Think!"

Old 06-21-2005, 03:40 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Loox 720 vs. Palm LifeDrive Comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapchinj
Quote:
"The LifeDrive... is the last Pda produced from palmOne..."...
Is this supposed to say 'last' or "latest'? Because if it's the last then it's a moot point what DaleReeck says about being only a choice between platforms for newbies. Which IMHO there is a moot point anyway :wink: .
Well, remember it's a bad translation. I don't know the source language, so I'm not sure. :P

--janak