Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default At Long Last - Use Your PPC As USB Mass Storage

http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/

* Switch USB mode from Active Sync to Card Export
* Insert your Pocket PC into cradle or connect to USB cable
* And after few seconds desktop drivers automatically mount cards as a logical disk!

Many Readers have been emailing us about Softkick's new Preview Version of CardExport II for PPC. While Palm users have enjoyed the ability to plug their devices in and have them recognized as Mass Storage devices (Effectively turning their PDA into an SD Card Reader), this is something we've longed for in the PPC world. The Preview release looks pretty interesting, however it is limited in capability to PPC's running the Intel PXA25x and PXA27x processor. If you've got a device that it will run on (Such as my Dell Axim x50v), take it for a spin and let us know how it works (Works wonderfully on my Dell, no problems in initial testing... now in the "reaching for wallet" stage ). If your device isn't running one of those processors, you may want to drop a feature request to Softkick to support your processor.

It's fairly attractively priced at $14.95, so with just a little bit more compatibility, we may all be soon enjoying this feature to access our files on non-activesync computers!

Old 06-11-2005, 04:51 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

oh my god... this is one of the reasons why i never got to getting rid of my Clie...

and is the subject of many posts here at PPCT (you could do a search on 'usb mass storage driver')...

and now its finally here...

and what such luck!?! i just got my new PPC, an Axim x50v, last weekend ---> its now play time for me...

:twisted:

Old 06-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Just as an update: I bought this app but the code they sent me was for the Palm version. I've emailed asking them to clarify on their order page what to order and to send me the correct code. Everyone might want to hold off purchasing until it's a bit clearer.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:00 PM
yildi
Ponderer
Default Perfectly works on iPAQ HX 4700

I have installed the trial version on my iPAQ Hx 4700. Impressively quick in comparison with AS explore feature. I discover that the USB 1. port of my laptop is not as slow as I was thinking ... I am waiting for the clarification but I will probably buy this nice tool.

Murat[/b]

Old 06-11-2005, 05:19 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
Just as an update: I bought this app but the code they sent me was for the Palm version. I've emailed asking them to clarify on their order page what to order and to send me the correct code. Everyone might want to hold off purchasing until it's a bit clearer.
thanks for the info...

would you be kind enough to notify us here if they've fixed their POS?

cheers!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 05:20 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Default Re: Perfectly works on iPAQ HX 4700

Quote:
Originally Posted by yildi
I have installed the trial version on my iPAQ Hx 4700. Impressively quick in comparison with AS explore feature. I discover that the USB 1. port of my laptop is not as slow as I was thinking ... I am waiting for the clarification but I will probably buy this nice tool.

Murat
how is the trial? is it crippleware? or does the demo expire after a certain period of time?

Old 06-11-2005, 05:41 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic
Default Re: Perfectly works on iPAQ HX 4700

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaq_wannabe
how is the trial? is it crippleware? or does the demo expire after a certain period of time?
21 day trial, seems to be fully functional.

I'll try it out, but I don't like that you have to switch modes on the Pocket PC and can't sync while it's in the Card Export mode. Still, it's cool to say I have local drives up through letter O. :mrgreen:

Old 06-11-2005, 05:43 PM
murph
Ponderer

as Peter Griffin would say...
"Freakin' Sweet"

21-day trial, fully functional with 1 nag screen. very cool app. great for working with multiple PC's without Activesync. running on my HP4350. does exactly what is advertised.

it would be nice to be able to "switch on the fly", but not that big of a deal. disconnect cable, switch mode, reconnect cable. pretty easy.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:44 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Pretty cool. I always hated installing AS on machines just to access the SD card on my iPAQ. This will make like a little easier.

Old 06-11-2005, 06:10 PM
msprague
Thinker

Here is the link to order the Pocket PC version:
https://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-...gi?item=8834-7

They don't seem to have it linked from the softick website very well.