Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 06-10-2005, 05:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default CalliGrapher 8.0 Beta Announced

http://www.calligrapher.net/

"PhatWare Corporation, a leading provider of software products and professional services for mobile and desktop computers, announces today the beta availability of CalliGrapher 8.0, the next generation of the company's award-winning handwriting recognition software. CalliGrapher 8.0 is available immediately to consumers for Beta testing, and PhatWare welcomes user participation and feedback. CalliGrapher, one of the most popular Pocket PC handwriting recognition applications on the market, analyzes pen strokes written in any application window, then converts those pen strokes into text and sends the recognized text to the target application. Employing advanced fuzzy logic and neural net techniques, CalliGrapher recognizes arbitrary alphanumeric strings as well as words contained in its integrated dictionary."

Remember this thread? The SIP was CalliGrapher 8.0 and now you have the opportunity to be a part of the beta program. Supporting Windows Mobile 2003 and the new Windows Mobile 5.0 platform, CalliGrapher 8.0 includes two input methods: 'Write Anywhere' (the existing CalliGrapher input method) and 'Write Pad' (as depicted in the screenshot above). New input methods aside, CalliGrapher 8.0 also sports PenCommander, as well as a bundle of new features such as improved handwriting recognition, an attachable and floating keyboard, an extended CalliGrapher toolbar, true landscape support, a new colour picker, and much more. Additional information and screenshots can be found here. The final release of CalliGrapher 8.0 is expected in Q3 2005.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:47 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

I swear I've been dreaming about the screenshots in that thread. The new Calligrapher sip looks so nice! :drool:

Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

BE VERY WARY OF THIS PROGRAM!! It has killed my i-mate Jam.

Immediately after the installation completed a window popped up on the screen telling me to reset the device. I did so and it never came back on. I tried repeated soft resets to no avail. I then tried removing the battery and then putting it back and trying to get it up and running, but with no luck. I have even tried hard reseting the Jam, but have not gotten it working.

If it ends up working again, I'll post again. But for now I don't recommend this program.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver5
Keep in mind that this is a beta, and as with all beta releases, caution should be exercised. I've not come across any problems with it so far.

But back to your case, how long did you leave the battery out for? If it was only for a few seconds, I suggest you leave it out for longer - probably in the order of hours. It'd seem a little strange for this software to render your JAM non-functional.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Ward
Ponderer

Work well on my x50v. Phatware have themeselves an upgrader.

I just wish there was a way to correct a mistake in the writepad, ie,

"handwriting recognition" shows as "hand writing recoq nition" but how do I delete the unwanted spaces or correct the wrong letters before starting a new block of text?

Old 06-10-2005, 08:23 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
I just wish there was a way to correct a mistake in the writepad, ie, "handwriting recognition" shows as "hand writing recoq nition" but how do I delete the unwanted spaces or correct the wrong letters before starting a new block of text?
You need to cross the letter/space you want to delete, then hold your stylus on the screen for half a second. It works well.

If you get the chance to read through the help files, you'll discover a whole bundle of neat tricks. They talk about the RiteCalc feature, which if you never knew about, you'll fall in love with in an instant!

Old 06-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver5

Immediately after the installation completed a window popped up on the screen telling me to reset the device. I did so and it never came back on. I tried repeated soft resets to no avail. I then tried removing the battery and then putting it back and trying to get it up and running, but with no luck. I have even tried hard reseting the Jam, but have not gotten it working.

If it ends up working again, I'll post again. But for now I don't recommend this program.
I got the Jam back up and working again...I'm really glad I bought Sprite backup and did a backup prior to installation of this beta. In fact, I didn't do anything to get the Jam working. I just walked back into the room a few hours later and it was on. It had hard reset, but at least I was able to restore it from the backup.

I think I'll hold off on this product for now... :roll:

Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Ward
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
I just wish there was a way to correct a mistake in the writepad, ie, "handwriting recognition" shows as "hand writing recoq nition" but how do I delete the unwanted spaces or correct the wrong letters before starting a new block of text?
You need to cross the letter/space you want to delete, then hold your stylus on the screen for half a second. It works well.

If you get the chance to read through the help files, you'll discover a whole bundle of neat tricks. They talk about the RiteCalc feature, which if you never knew about, you'll fall in love with in an instant!

Great, thanks! I had an interview today, so I just nabbed the .cab for a play on the train. I get into the habit of moving the help files away from /Windows/ into my CF card, so help is mostly broken.

Old 06-10-2005, 12:49 PM
after_forever
Pupil

I installed the program, it asked for a soft reset. After the reset, it came up like the first time I turned the unit on. I lost everything. It was like it did a hard reset. I franticly did a complete restore to my Dell X3i, and then performed the install of CalliGrapher 8.0 Beta 1 again. After the soft-reset everything was working great. Very odd.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:51 PM
JamesM
Ponderer

Upon installation (to filestore) it hard reset my iPAQ hx4700 as well. I restored from backup and installed to RAM, and it's working fine.

I hope everyone is submitting bug reports to Phatware!

-James