Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default GPS in Your Next Pocket PC?

There were a few interesting ideas raised in the recent post about rumours of HTC's next generation of Pocket PCs. This got me thinking - just how many of you would be willing to pay a whole lot extra just to get GPS in your next Pocket PC? If a company was to introduce a brand new Pocket PC into the market, would you like it to have (a) improved specifications without integrated GPS, or (b) improved specifications with integrated GPS (but also with a market price of say ~$200 more than usual)? For the geek with money to burn, I can imagine (b) being the more favourable option. For the average Joe who wants the right device at the right price, I can imagine (a) being the more favourable option. Let the poll begin!

Old 05-29-2005, 07:08 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

I would definitely consider a Pocket PC with integrated GPS for my next device, but only if it had all the features of my current Pocket PC. I'm fairly happy with the current features on my iPAQ hx4705, so GPS is one of the few things missing. I've considered Bluetooth solutions, and may get one when the prices come down, but having an extra device to carry around (or maybe leave it in my car) is never as easy as an integrated feature.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Prolly a new poll option should be added: "I'd consider it if it didn't raise the price with more than, say, 100 US$ and didn't add much bulk to the PDA".

Old 05-29-2005, 07:16 PM
MS Mobiles
Ponderer
Default Re: GPS in Your Next Pocket PC?

Skype requires Pocket PC with processor of 400 MHz or more. Unfortunately the HP iPAQ Mobile Messenger with built-in GPS has only 316 MHz... so it not fast enough.

I would buy Pocket PC phone with built-in GPS if it would have processor of speed at least 520 MHz...

Old 05-29-2005, 07:22 PM
arnage2
Oracle

i dont need gps in a pocket pc because my phone (nextel i860) already as integrated gps. why have it in 2 devices

Old 05-29-2005, 07:24 PM
Locksmith
Pupil

I'd prefer not to have it built in. Not because I don't want a gps, I have a bluetooth gps now. Just that I'd rather not carry the extra size and weight around with me constantly.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:33 PM
sesummers
Ponderer
Default You left out the most reasonable option.

If you can buy a CF card GPS receiver for under $100, why couldn't the manufacturers put these inside the case for that price or less? I'd pay up to $100 more, but otherwise, I'll make sure my next unit handles CF cards and get an external one. I do want GPS, and I'm willing to pay for it, but not twice as much.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:47 PM
PeterLake
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmith
I'd prefer not to have it built in. Not because I don't want a gps, I have a bluetooth gps now. Just that I'd rather not carry the extra size and weight around with me constantly.
Precisely.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:53 PM
johncruise
Theorist
Send a message via MSN to johncruise

I'd still prefer dedicated GPS solution. Honestly... how many times do you have to use your GPS? You added extra bulk in your PPC for a feature that you use once in a while. I'm not totally ruling out with looking for extra stuffs on my next PPC purchase but manufacturers should focus first on battery life first before they start thinking about adding extra stuffs in their PPC (like this GPS and even camera). And for what's its worth... there's a reason why there's a built-in bluetooth in most PPC today.

Old 05-29-2005, 08:11 PM
surur
Mystic

If I have to pay a lot extra I prefer a separate unit, in that it would be easier to transfer from one pocketpc to another. I replace my PPC every year, and I'm not going to be paying $200 every year when I can pay $200 once and use it for years to come.

Surur