Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default More Intel-PowerVR Magic to Come!

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/...ndex.asp?ID=247

"Imagination Technologies Group plc, ("Imagination Technologies"), a leader in system-on-chip intellectual property (SoC IP), announces that Intel Corporation ("Intel") has licensed both a member of its new generation, fully programmable PowerVR graphics and video processing IP family, codenamed Eurasia, and a next generation multi-standard video codec (video encode and decoder) IP core. Intel has previously licensed PowerVR MBX family graphics and associated video and display cores."

Intel and Imagination Technologies did it with Bulverde, and they're about to do it again. Hopefully, 'Eurasia' will lead to a horde of exciting new processing capabilities for future Pocket PCs. In fact, this leads me to my next point. What processing capabilities are you hoping to see in the next-generation Pocket PCs?

Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 PM
gibson042
Thinker

Well, I'm pretty with current processors... all I would like to see (that could happen with this generation) is even lower power usage. On my "not a chance" wish list: integrated 2D/3D graphics acceleration (� la 2700G).

Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 AM
HailFire
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to HailFire Send a message via MSN to HailFire

dedicated 3D graphics GPU!!!!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 AM
R K
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to R K Send a message via AIM to R K

Do current Bulverde CPUs even have an FPU yet?
I think that would be the first on my list since that would at least let it match the 386.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Dalantech
Ponderer

Nvidia's Gforce 3D in a PDA that I can hold in my hand! Check out the specs! -drool!

I use my iPaq hx2410 for games, movies, and music (I don't need to take my laptop with me when I go on the road, the hx2410 is really that good!). So here are my requirements for a Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA:

4" diagonal display with a high contrast ratio. A lot of companies go cheap on the LCD to save money, and it's a huge mistake!

Whatever Intel CPU is available at the time, at the highest clock speed.

That Nvidia Gforce 3D GPU I linked to at the top of this post *drool*

CF. SDIO, WiFi, Bluetooth 1.2, USB 2.0 (host), etc.

A 2000MaH standard battery. The HP 4700 currently ships with an 1800 MaH standard battery, so a 2000MaHs should be possible.

I'd be willing to pay from $800 to $1000 USD for such a PDA -it would be worth every penny to me...

Edit: I was reading the white papers that MS published on WM5 and noticed that it includes an API for DVD decoding... 8)

Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 PM
radish28
Pupil

The GoForce's have max less than 2mb memory and can nly decode MPEG-4 ad 30fps among other things, they are almost the bottom of the line comapred to ATI and Intel's offerings. Currently Intel has the best 3D chip, the 2700g (a.k.a. Marathon). I hope they dont screw us over wiht this Eurasia by making it a better 3d chip and imcompatible with 2700g stuff.. Yes the GoForce a nice chip but not amazing, IMHO.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Dalantech
Ponderer

Simple math: 640x480 (the resolution of the screen) x2 (the number of bytes needed for 16 bit video) = 600 KB of memory and the GeForce chips have 1.2 MB of embedded memory -more than enough for the frame buffer, Z buffer, and texture storage. More RAM just equals more power consumption (since it has to be refreshed)...

MPEG decode: How many frames per second do you need for smooth video? 24 -that's all. The chip doesn't have to provide more than 30 FPS anyway since you won't notice any difference between 24FPS or 2400FPS -we're not talking about 3D gaming performance, this is just video...

As for Intel making a fast 3D GPU -I'm really biting my tongue on that one! Since when has Intel ever made any GPU that wasn't a Decelerator?!

Compatibility should be a non issue since every GPU will be processing MD3D with Windows Mobile 5.0 -as long as there is a driver for the GPU it will work. What is important is that the GPU is designed to accelerate MD3D, and the Nvidia chips are designed to do that. I don't know about Intel's 2700 GPU...