Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Yet More HTC Universal Pictures

http://gallery.mlife.at/

I admit I have a problem: I really want the HTC Universal. I really really want the HTC Universal. As a result, I feel compelled to post on any new picture findings, such as this great gallery at mlife.at with pictures of the T-Mobile Germany branded version. The unit is pictured at every angle, and there's some comparison pictures against an HTC Magician in there to help you get a handle on the size of the device.

:drool: So... anyone with me?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 PM
hidefguy
Pupil
Default Re: Yet More HTC Universal Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I admit I have a problem: I really want the HTC Universal. I really really want the HTC Universal. ...
:drool: So... anyone with me?
It looks really nice but I'm told has no hardware graphics acceleration which is a pity.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Kowalski
Pontificator
Send a message via MSN to Kowalski

thanks but no, i didnt even like the device at all.
firstly thumb keyboards are no good for me, i have tried but it didnt work, and i am very happy with stowaway BT keyboard. second, the device has UMTS! what am i gonna do with UMTS?! EDGE would be better for me, faster access, same cost as GPRS, and lastly the device is very big.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:21 PM
jeasher
Intellectual

I'm with you man. Usually when a new device is out, we in the community carp about how it is outdated already, missing this or that feature, or it's just plain ugly. This is the first device I can think of that is flawless in its execution. Where is the weakness?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

The huge number of well shot images really let you get a handle on this device. It is tempting, but there are a number of minor and not so minor quibbles about it for me, the lack of video acceleration being just one. :? I really want to like it, but I think I may stick with my X50v and possible an Orange C550 Smartphone. Having said that, I could still be tempted by the HTC Universal once I play with one. :wink:

Still, it promises to be the first in a huge wave of new phone-enabled Pocket PCs, so the future really looks bright! 8)

Old 05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeasher
... This is the first device I can think of that is flawless in its execution. Where is the weakness?
Where's the quality screen? QVGA is so 1990s.

Other than that, I'd be lusting after it as well.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelwig
Where's the quality screen? QVGA is so 1990s.

Other than that, I'd be lusting after it as well.
Umm, it has got a VGA screen.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
CrashX
Ponderer

I have just one thing to say:

Old 05-18-2005, 08:28 PM
ignar
Thinker

I like the spec and form factor, but size worries me. I have an iMate JAM and it's about the right size. Anything larger than JAM feels awkward as a phone, and smaller than JAM will be too hard to read the screen. I'm more attracted to i730 style phone since it has one big missing feature in JAM: built-in thumbboard.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Duncan
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeasher
I'm with you man. Usually when a new device is out, we in the community carp about how it is outdated already, missing this or that feature, or it's just plain ugly. This is the first device I can think of that is flawless in its execution. Where is the weakness?
No buttons on the front and a lack of ROM or RAM are weaknesses for a start.