Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 05-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default HP iPAQ hx4700 ROM Update Now Available

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/f...load/22658.html

HP iPAQ hx4700 owners: Your ROM update is here! I'm not sure if it includes Windows Media Player 10 Mobile, so I'm waiting for the first person to reply to this thread to confirm its presence. New features include:

� Provides an improved Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer.
� Provides an improved Microsoft Windows Media Player.
� Enables more than one Settings application to be active at the same time.
� Adds new data connectivity icon to the Title bar.
� Improves ServerSync application stability.
� Enables dialing of a number that starts with a pound sign (#).
� Enhances localization, including:
� Traditional Chinese: Improves Wi-Fi settings "Zero Config" dialog box.
� Japan: Improves Wi-Fi settings.
� Korean: Updates the Lunar calendar.
� Enables the pound sign (#) and asterisk (*) to be used in the Contacts application search function.

� Fixes issues with wireless connectivity.
� Fixes issue with execution of .NET framework.
� Fixes issue with very high-volume audio signal from third-party applications that could result in potential speaker damage.
� Fixes issue where the microphone automatic gain control (AGC) setting was not saved after a power cycle.
� Fixes issue where the user interface for the handheld would indicate that the user was connected to a network that was not present.
� Fixes issue where protected extensible authentication protocol (PEAP) authentication would fail with no indication that the user's password had expired.
� Fixes issue where Pocket Internet Explorer would stall and fail to load a page if the HTTP post was larger than 16K.
� Fixes issue where WiFi connection status was incorrectly indicated for some conditions.
� Fixes issue with an active modem connection where the handheld was unable to re-establish a connection after the USB cable was unplugged.
� Fixes issue that occurred when using WPA-PSK authentication where the handheld failed to authenticate to a second access point (AP) with the same SSID and key.
� Fixes issue where the client device packets did not properly route to the target LAN when a point-to-point protocol (PPP) connection was made.
� Fixes issue where an exception was generated When disconnecting a serial line Internet protocol (SLIP) server session.
� Fixes issue where the wrong domain name server (DNS) address was passed to the server when a secondary IP address was assigned.
� Fixes issue where the wrong WEP key was used when switching between configured, preferred, WEP-enabled Wi-Fi connections.
� Fixes issue with cached pages where a back/forward navigation would not be sent to the Internet.
� Fixes issue with URLs that contain semicolons so that they are no longer truncated when sending the GET request over the Wireless Session Protocol.
� Fixes the following localization issues: Korean: Fixes issue with contact picker where it did not match Jungseong because asterisk (*) and pound sign (#) key presses were ignored; fixes issue with contact names that were displayed with no comma or space between the Last and First name; fixes issue with the Notification dialog so it is no longer clipped in the Sounds and Notifications Control panel. Romanian: Corrects Daylight Savings Time.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Transfxb
Pupil

It does include WMP 10.

WARNING 1: because of a typo on HP web site, versions have been inverted. 1.10 (marked as "previous") is the one to be downloaded.

WARNING 2: although version history refers to fixes regarding non-English languages (Japanese, Romanian, Chines, Korean), this update doesn't install on initial French ROM.

Please HP, make it MUCH clear!

TransFXB

Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 PM
petvas
Theorist
Send a message via AIM to petvas Send a message via MSN to petvas Send a message via Skype™ to petvas

As always this ROM update is available in the English language only...

I dont get it why all non-english device owners have to wait a lot more to get updates...

Old 05-17-2005, 02:22 PM
JohnJohn
Thinker

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/22658.html

So THIS is the correct link???

Old 05-17-2005, 02:33 PM
Transfxb
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/22658.html

YES............

Old 05-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransFXB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJohn
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/22658.html

YES............
Sigh. I wish HP would manage their downloads page a little better. Thanks for the heads-up, TransFXB. I'll update the post ASAP.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:40 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by petvas
As always this ROM update is available in the English language only...

I dont get it why all non-english device owners have to wait a lot more to get updates...
i feel the pain...

however, instead of ranting... sadly, i just make due with what i have (waiting for months at end)...

and yes, by the time the upgrade comes - the device is already obsolete...

:cry:

Old 05-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Jereboam
Philosopher

What I would like to know is have they fixed the memory allocation issues with the BT and Wifi drivers. That is the BANE of my life and is one reason this user is thinking about getting a LifeDrive shortly.

Oh well. Will find out this evening I guess.

J'bm

Old 05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
mbassoc2003
Neophyte

Ok. Does the Rom Update Utility allow you to back up the old Rom Image so that you can backpedal when you find out that your software doesn't work?

I remember updating the 3950 to WM2003 and finding HP had disabled 'cleartype' on the 3900 series to push their 5500 series. I had to revert to the old rom to get cleartype back.

Has anyone noticed what's been removed from the OS? Anything important? Prays silently hoping they've removed ClearVue and put MS Reader in its place

Aside.... Does anyone know where I can download a copy of MS Reader that is not version 2.4? Its not on the CD.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:07 PM
crashdau
Ponderer

So...Has anyone taken the leap yet :?:

Is it the WM5 update? How much ROM is left over after the update ?