Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 05-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Should Developers Drop Support for Pocket PC 2002?

I received an interesting email from Mel Sampat, the man behind Two Peaks, and I think this question is on the minds of many developers right now. I'll let Mel explain:

"Like many other developers I met at MEDC, I am trying to figure out whether to drop support for Pocket PC 2002 devices now that Windows Mobile 5 is out. The new Visual Studio 2005 only allows us to target WM2003, WM2003 SE and Magneto devices. I'm wondering whether to move forward with using the latest development tools and API's, or continue to maintain broader support including 2002 devices. Can you run a poll or two asking users what percentage of them are still using a Pocket PC 2002 device, whether they would consider a Magneto or 2003SE upgrade, and also what the community in general thinks of developers dropping support for 2002 devices in their apps?"

In an ideal world developers would be able to support every Pocket PC out there, but given that Microsoft has changed the tools to only support 2003 and above, that's not an ideal world. The more time developers have to spend making sure their applications work on older devices, the less time they have for new features, and in some cases, the more expensive their applications will be. Weigh in by voting in this survey and commenting.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

I'm the one vote for "other." I have a huge collection of PPCs. I do have a Jornada 568 with 2002 on it. It can't be upgraded, thank you very much, HP. :cry: All the others (don't ask; I won't tell ops: ) have 2003 or 2003SE on them. I still enjoy the Jornada. I'd never sell it; but if it's not supported, I wouldn't cry. It just keeps chugging along as is.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:06 PM
genetiq
Neophyte
Send a message via ICQ to genetiq

Keep in mind that the vote only counts Pocket PC users who visit this site. I'm sure there's much more PPC2002 owners. Those guys don't read pocketpcthoughts.com but still buying a lot of software

Old 05-16-2005, 03:12 PM
ddwire
Ponderer

I also posted other. I currently use a Sprint PPC6601 phone edition with 2003SE, but also still have a Philips Nino 510 color with Palm pc 2.1? With the exception of having good pdf file readability the Nino is very usable. The email client works just as good as my 2003 SE and I have a third pary web browser that works as well as the PIE in 2003SE. The batteries are replacable with AA if you run the rechargeable dead.

When is Microsoft going to stop bloating these devices.
Dan

Old 05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
ppcinfo
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetiq
Keep in mind that the vote only counts Pocket PC users who visit this site. I'm sure there's much more PPC2002 owners. Those guys don't read pocketpcthoughts.com but still buying a lot of software
I agree completely. The people that visit this site probably do so to get the latest info on PPC devices and upgrade somewhat frequently. There are still a lot of 2002 OS devices out there, so I certainly would not exclude them.

ppcinfo

Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Kathy_Harris
Ponderer

I support a bunch of ipaq 36xx for family and friends and am still surprised that software works for these old fellas. I mean, geez, they're 5 years old! All have new batteries and some have new stylus locks and yet they keep going.

Personally I have a Toshiba 805 and will not upgrade until there are true VGA devices that work with software as I have it right now. I would consider a Dell 50v if something happened to the toshiba. But the Mobile 5 devices? I'd have to see....

Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 PM
stevelam
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy_Harris
Personally I have a Toshiba 805 and will not upgrade until there are true VGA devices that work with software as I have it right now. I would consider a Dell 50v if something happened to the toshiba. But the Mobile 5 devices? I'd have to see....
The Dell will be a 5.0 device (when the upgrade is released)

Old 05-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwire
When is Microsoft going to stop bloating these devices.
Dan
Hopefully never. That is what a palm is for.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Kathy_Harris
Ponderer

The boyfriend has a 50v and I think it is great. It was what I pushed him to get (actually, I think I bought it for him.) But for some reason I really like the Toshiba. Ugh, I wish I wasn't so loyal.

As a mac user & music lover, the boyfriend appreciates the Media Player 10 interface on the 50v. It's a good thing that 2005 will incorporate Media Player 10.

Old 05-16-2005, 04:30 PM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold

The problem is somewhere else altogether. As long as it's up to the manufacturer to decide which OS (upgrade) he makes available for a certain device you gotta accept that older versions remain in the market for quite some time. While users in boards like these may be getting new devices almost every year or so, the normal user may look at a new device every 4 or 5 years. So when was the last device with PPC2000 released?