Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 05-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default McAfee Internet Security 2005 7.0 FREE After Rebate

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...5969692-0422506

"Enjoy everything the Internet has to offer�without the worry of online threats. McAfee Internet Security Suite provides powerful, comprehensive protection for Internet users. Built on McAfee�s award-winning technologies, the suite provides one of the most comprehensive, integrated security and privacy toolsets available. It safeguards personal data, prevents viruses, and detects potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) such as spyware and adware. It also prohibits unauthorized access, prevents hackers and spammers, blocks pop-up ads, manages cookies, and filters objectionable content. At last, you are in full control of what goes into and out of your PC via the Internet."

This is off-topic, but it seems like a great deal if you're in need of some Internet security software. The software is $64.99 with free shipping, and after two different rebates (one if you have any previous version of Norton or McAfee) directly from McAfee, the software is free. Can't ask for better than that! ;-) [Affiliate]

Old 05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
sundown
Theorist

Yeah but...

One rebate is $40 for upgraders so if this is your first antivirus package purchase, it's gonna cost you $40 after rebate.

Second, everyone has their favorites I know but just look at the reviews at that Amazon link.

Lastly, I see offers in the newspaper almost every week for free Norton or free McAfee but it's the same thing - for upgraders only. But maybe they push it hard in the Phoenix market for some reason. Usually it's Office Max or Staples or Fry's Electronics.

Old 05-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundown
One rebate is $40 for upgraders so if this is your first antivirus package purchase, it's gonna cost you $40 after rebate.
Doh! I didn't see that. I'll update my post...

Old 05-11-2005, 05:21 PM
applejosh
Philosopher

A great deal I suppose, but personally I've never liked McAfee. It always screwed up something when running (and I've bought it a few times hoping they'd have fixed it). So I usually recommend against it. (I've also had problems with Norton slowing systems down a great deal, so I don't recommend it either, although I don't flatly tell people it's cruddy.) My personal preference for the workplace is either NOD32 (for peer to peer networks or standalone machines) or Trend Micro's Client/Server suite (if on a server based network). For home I use the free copy of eTrust I get with my ISP.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:55 PM
code-frog
Intellectual

One of the many things I do for a living is support networks for a lot of people. The McAffee and Norton security tools *always* break something. I have never had a situation where a user had good luck with those products. I have been using Zone Alarm Security Suite for 2 years and love it. It has anti-virus, web-filtering, spam-filtering, IM protection and more. It's a nice product.

Sygate Personal Firewall is another outstanding product.

Both of these stand head and shoulders above McAffee. Not that I want to make Jason look bad I don't. I'm just passing along the experience I have had from helping hundreds (no exaggeration) of users and removing McAffee/Norton to fix problems.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 AM
jimski
Philosopher

Can't comment on McAffee because I have never used it. And I haven't tried it because I started with Norton (got to be 10 years now) and it has never given me any major problem nor has it ever allowed me to become infected.

I am a (reasonably) brand loyal consumer so I am not driven by price alone. Until Norton screws something up I have no reason to look elsewhere.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:34 AM
code-frog
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimski
Can't comment on McAffee because I have never used it. And I haven't tried it because I started with Norton (got to be 10 years now) and it has never given me any major problem nor has it ever allowed me to become infected.

I am a (reasonably) brand loyal consumer so I am not driven by price alone. Until Norton screws something up I have no reason to look elsewhere.
The anti-virus works reliably. Have you used the Internet Security Suite? That's the one that makes most people blow a whistle. I think their AV product is great.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:26 PM
1BADRIDE
Pupil
Send a message via ICQ to 1BADRIDE Send a message via MSN to 1BADRIDE

I never use any software that impacts performance. Norton and McAffee are resource hogs.

Kapersky, although it is one of the BEST AV suites out there, is also a resource hog.

Why turn your P4 into a PIII in the name of "security"?

After trying all the major suites out there, I found that hands down, without a doubt - the best performers (lowest resource use while maintaining reliability and stability) is SOPHOS AV and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (yuck, MS - but it works well).