Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP to Offer Windows Mobile 5 Upgrade on some iPAQ Models

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/p...05/050510b.html

"HP today announced an upgrade program to Microsoft Windows� Mobile 5.0 for customers with select HP iPAQ handhelds as well as plans to support the new version of the software platform in its future mobile offerings. HP iPAQ handhelds with Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 will provide customers with enhanced mobile communication, entertainment and productivity through simpler navigation and access to data, an improved Mobile Office suite, along with a more powerful, integrated multimedia experience...HP will offer Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrades for the HP iPAQ hx2100, hx2400, hx2700 and hx4700 series of handhelds. These software upgrades are expected to be available this summer and can be purchased directly from HP."

I applaud HP for supporting most of their new devices with a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade, especially after burning their customers so badly in the past, but I have to wonder why the 3000 series isn't part of this upgrade? The rx3715 especially - this is a $450 USD device, and no upgrade? HP comes close to delivering the goods to all their customers, then stops short, ignoring 3000 series owners. :?

For those that are wondering, the phone edition of the OS usually comes out later (because there's that extra software layer) so we probably won't know about the 6300 series getting an upgrade until later. Don't hold your breath though.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
entropy1980
Oracle
Default Re: HP to Offer Windows Mobile 5 Upgrade on some iPAQ Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
For those that are wondering, the phone edition of the OS usually comes out later (because there's that extra software layer) so we probably won't know about the 6300 series getting an upgrade until later. Don't hold your breath though.
But I thought that was whole point of this upgrade to integrate the Smartphone OS and Pocket PC so they were one platform what is there to include if the phone stuff is already there?

Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

HA! I knew they would. Thanks HP! :mrgreen: :beer:

Damn and I was going to reset my device this week and do some housecleaning. Oh well. I guess I can wait.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy1980
But I thought that was whole point of this upgrade to integrate the Smartphone OS and Pocket PC so they were one platform what is there to include if the phone stuff is already there?
No, that's incorrect information spread by people who didn't know any better. There are unifications of user interface, and some core components, but there are still many differences between the Pocket PC and Smartphone devices.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Quote:
Quote:
The 6300 wasn't built for WM 5.0, it was built for WM 2k3. So it will have to go through the redevelopment cycle, yes, no surprise there, so will the 4700 series. So why is Jason saying that it'll take longer for the 6300 than the 4700?

He isn't. He's citing that historically, it's taken longer for the Phone-toting device to get the upgrade compared to a device without voice capability. That doesn't mean it will take longer this time, he's just provided prior evidence as a possibile indication of a future outcome. We'll have to wait and see how long it takes to come out, we don't know

Although, now that I think about it... the 6300 has pretty much all the things a normal PDA has, PLUS a phone. So that means that after they do the normal PDA stuff, they'll have to debug and test the phone functionality. More features, more time, right? Bah, who knows, we'll play the waiting game to find out.

I'm thinking my next phone will be a Smartphone to go with my PDA. Just have to wait another 4 months until Cingular lets me change my phones :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
No, that's incorrect information spread by people who didn't know any better. There are unifications of user interface, and some core components, but there are still many differences between the Pocket PC and Smartphone devices.
I didn't think the 6300 ran the Smartphone OS, I thought it was more the regular Pocket PC OS with phone functionality built onto it. I know we're seeing convergence between the sister OSes, but I thought that an oversimplified difference is "Pocket PCs have touchscreens, Smartphones don't".

Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
applejosh
Philosopher

Quote:
I applaud HP for supporting most of their new devices with a Windows Mobile 5 upgrade, especially after burning their customers so badly in the past, but I have to wonder why the 3000 series isn't part of this upgrade? The rx3715 especially - this is a $450 USD device, and no upgrade? HP comes close to delivering the goods to all their customers, then stops short, ignoring 3000 series owners. :?
I agree. When I upgraded to the rx3715 (from the H3955), I wasn't really expecting an upgrade to the next version of WM, but that was just a general expectation across all product lines (and if I was going to get screwed on the deal, then I might as well get something with a couple of non-business type bells and whistles). If and when I upgrade the rx somewhere down the road, I'll probably go with a Dell. Not because I think Dell will offer any better support, but because if the manufacturers are grooming the devices to be almost disposable, then I might as well get a better deal on them. I like the fact that I can still use the cables I have from my H3955, but at some point you have to wonder if spending an extra $100-200 on a device in order to save yourself from buying a $30 cable is all that smart. (This really has less to do with HP deciding to keep the rx3000 series out of the upgrade picture and more to do with the overall tendency of all manufacturers to make upgrades less and less of an option.) Just my thoughts. Nothing against the devices of HP or Dell.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:40 PM
gibson042
Thinker

Quote:
Quote:
What (software) differences still remain between WM for Pocket PC and for Smartphone? Also, what will the naming scheme be ("Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC/Smartphone Edition"?), and will there still be an OS distinction between Phone Edition and "standard" Pocket PCs?

Old 05-10-2005, 07:50 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggster
I didn't think the 6300 ran the Smartphone OS, I thought it was more the regular Pocket PC OS with phone functionality built onto it. I know we're seeing convergence between the sister OSes, but I thought that an oversimplified difference is "Pocket PCs have touchscreens, Smartphones don't".
There are three flavours of Windows Mobile:

� Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC
� Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC Phone Edition
� Windows Mobile for the Smartphone

When Microsoft finished work on the Pocket PC version, they then work on the phone components. Ever wondered why the Phone Edition devices always come out 4-6 months after the non-phone devices? That's why. With Windows Mobile 5, that may have changed and perhaps we'll see phone devices come out at the same time as non-phone devices. I'm just not sure yet.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

Quote:
There are three flavours of Windows Mobile:

� Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC
� Windows Mobile for the Pocket PC Phone Edition
� Windows Mobile for the Smartphone

When Microsoft finished work on the Pocket PC version, they then work on the phone components. Ever wondered why the Phone Edition devices always come out 4-6 months after the non-phone devices? That's why. With Windows Mobile 5, that may have changed and perhaps we'll see phone devices come out at the same time as non-phone devices. I'm just not sure yet.
Ah, I see. I've been out of the PDA world for far too long.

With all the "experts" saying PDAs will converge into phones, and the rumors about WM 5.0 lessening the boundry between PDA and Smartphone, hopefully we can scrap that middle step-child of the WM family, and be left with the two OSes, Pocket PC and Smartphone. But like you said, we'll have to play the waiting game and see.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:15 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Very good news (for me) regarding the 47XX upgrades. We'll have to wait to see how long it is before it's actually available though.

I can understand why the 31XX won't be upgraded, since it has limited "file store", so everything would have to be stored on a SD card, but it seems the 37XX probably should be upgradeable. I wonder if they use the same ROM so there wouldn't be a way to stop people from ruining their 31XX devices by attempting to flash them with the wrong ROM. I'm probably wrong about this, but considering the price tag of the 37XX series, I'd be disappointed if I owned one and couldn't upgrade it.

It seems to me the 47XX and the Dell X50 models were made with WM5 in mind since they have more ROM and less RAM.