Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 05-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Tiger and PDAs: Not Such a Rosy Relationship

http://www.markspace.com/tiger.html

"The Missing Sync for Pocket PC was the first Apple-approved, third-party plugin designed to work with iSync. With Tiger, iSync has changed significantly so that 10.2.x and 10.3.x iSync plugins no longer function. As a result, the current release of The Missing Sync for Pocket PC is not compatible with Tiger."

Thinking of making the jump over to Tiger? Think again. According to Mark/Space (the folk behind 'The Missing Sync'), significant changes to the iSync technology have rendered 'The Missing Sync' unusable in Tiger. However, all is not lost. You can choose not to upgrade to Tiger if you want to retain the Mac-PDA synchronising functionality, or you can wait until the end of June when 'The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile' will be released (we also posted on this earlier in the year). Mark/Space guarantees that this version will be compatible with Tiger. The price? $19.95 for all existing customers, although those who purchased 'The Missing Sync' from April 1, 2005 will be eligible for a free upgrade as soon as it is released.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:28 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Question: Tiger has had developer builds out since mid 2004. Why is it that Mark/Space didn't start looking into this before now? (Which pretty much has to be the case or they would have had a functioning product the day of Tiger's release. EDIT: Then again it could be because they are adding features in the next version which will support Tiger. :confused totally: )
Esp considering that Apple has been saying all along that Tiger was going to have a pretty big under the hood revamp.

IMHO it sounds like Mark/Space dropped the ball on this in a big way.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:23 PM
shockidelica
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to shockidelica Send a message via MSN to shockidelica Send a message via Yahoo to shockidelica

Pocket PC users have always been shorted by Mark/Space. Anyone who's followed their offerings know that it's taken them almost 2 years to add Entourage support for Pocket PC; and even that's not available yet. It seems that all of the focus is on their Palm syncing app while the Pocket PC app is treated like the step-child. To me, it's no surprise that they haven't been pro-active on providing support for Tiger.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:50 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher
Default Why is it.....

I understand Mark Space is in it for making money, but hear me out.....why is it I have to pay even a reduced rate? PocketMac had a version out right around the time I bought Missing Sync. They both were released real close in time, yet the pocket mac developers are making thier update free. I don't flippin care about the Entourage syncing. I use iCal and Address Book. Notes not moving is not a big deal and I can always back them up. I understand they were working on a new version, but isn't there anyway for them to just update the version I have to make it work with Tiger? I don't need the new features and would be willing to buy it. I will still likely buy it, but only becauase of the discount.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:32 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

Note that PocketMac doen't yet support Tiger either. They are planning a free update to current users in the next few days.

I'm a little surprised that neither has had a Tiger ready release on Day 1 seeing that there have been developer builds of Tiger available for some time. On the other hand, I believe that the developer kit for Tiger wasn't all that cheap and they might have had to weigh up that cost for their busnesses. I'm not making excuses for them, just speculating.

In the case Missing Sync though, they are in the process of a full redesign of the application and the new release will be a substantial departure from the current release. I guess that they had to decide between a point release Tiger update and the whole new product.

I'll be tracking this closely at my site (www.thepdaguy.com) for those that are interested.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:33 AM
Phronetix
Thinker

But which was the greater limiting factor? Tiger and the updated iSync, or Windows Mobile 2005?

I think that maybe updating sync software from both ends is a difficult endeavour, any which way.

The premi�re developer membership is 3500 US dollars per year. Clearly MarkSpace would be a member. They couldn't pump out this signif an upgrade in 6 weeks.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phronetix
They couldn't pump out this signif an upgrade in 6 weeks.
Having had some correspondence with mark/Space, I can tell you that this major upgrade has been in the works for several months.

In the life of a software development project Tiger's arrival, which until a few weeks ago didn't have a specific date, was a complication that, while it was planned for, may have added some time to the app's delivery.

Personally, I'm really looking orward to this update from mark/Space

Old 05-07-2005, 07:19 AM
juni
Sage

My wife, who is an avid Mac user says that PocketMac already works with Tiger. What she says about Missing Sync can't be repeated in public.

Old 05-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Anthony Caruana
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juni
My wife, who is an avid Mac user says that PocketMac already works with Tiger. What she says about Missing Sync can't be repeated in public.
Interesting. I just took PocketMac's word for it when they said that a Tiger ready release would be coming soon.

I'm curious - what's the problem with Missing Sync. My opinion is that PocketMac was far more feature rich but I always found it very unstable. USB dropouts and crashes were normal occurences.

What version of pocketMac is your wife using?

Old 05-08-2005, 06:59 PM
PPCMD
Thinker

[quote="juni"]My wife, who is an avid Mac user says that PocketMac already works with Tiger. What she says about Missing Sync can't be repeated in public. [/quote

Which PocketMAC app is your wife using? SmartPhone or PPC (phone Edition)? I will have to try my SmartPhone today and see if it works.