Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 05-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Chainpus Releases the BGP100 Bluetooth Gamepad

http://www.chainpus.com/products/ga...pad/bgp100.html

"Chainpus announced that BGP100, a universal Bluetooth GamePad designed for Smartphones, Pocket PC phones (PPC) and PDAs, will be launched in May 01, 2005. By supporting a number of platforms including "Windows Mobile 2003 for Smartphones and PPC, Symbian Series 60 and Symbian UIQ, BGP100 caters for a large number of Smartphones and handheld devices on the market. It is a breakthrough amongst other Bluetooth accessories and is currently one of a kind."

The recently-released BGP100 is available in white, black, grey and royal blue, each with a glossy finish. The 145mm x 127.3mm x 30.5mm (145mm x 44mm x 30.5mm when closed) Bluetooth gamepad weighs in at 130.2g and features a foldable design that enables it to be easily stored when not in use. Are any of you game enough (excuse the pun) to purchase this one?

Old 05-06-2005, 09:12 AM
rmasinag
Theorist

I played with the PSP for the first time today (A little too much!) and what can I say... Save money to buy me a brand spankin new PSP!

Old 05-06-2005, 01:36 PM
bitbank
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to bitbank

I'd buy it just to give it a try. Anyone figure out how/where to purchase this thing?

L.B.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:49 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

Looks promising, but why the strange design? I don't see the point of the right section extending up, where you would have no grip. Glad to finally see a bluetooth gamepad though.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:47 PM
felixdd
Philosopher
Send a message via ICQ to felixdd Send a message via AIM to felixdd Send a message via MSN to felixdd Send a message via Yahoo to felixdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUKid7
Looks promising, but why the strange design? I don't see the point of the right section extending up, where you would have no grip. Glad to finally see a bluetooth gamepad though.
I think the controller "rotates" rather than folds when you deploy it. So to close it, the left side would rotate counter-clockwise, and the right side would rotate clockwise until they meet in the middle.

Design looks promising. I wonder how they are programming it to be compatible with everything. Maybe they're making it control games through a program that runs in the background? If so I have two questions:

1) Would it affect performance too much?
2) Can it control any program possible? I've been waiting for a bluetooth multimedia controller for my Ipaq...something to clip on to my shirt or something. If this works then it shows that such a device is (technologically) possible.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:23 PM
ghostppc
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasinag
I played with the PSP for the first time today (A little too much!) and what can I say... Save money to buy me a brand spankin new PSP!
I agree. I'm glad they're at least attempting a universal gamepad. But if only they'd done it before I saw the psp :drool: Still it looks promising for pda gaming.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:42 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I like the idea, but it doesn't appear to attach to your device. At least I don't see how it does from the limited specs on their site. You'd have to leave your device laying flat on a table, balanced on your lap, or in it's cradle to use this wouldn't you? If that's the case I'm not sure I'm very interested.

I think there must be some sort of software running to make this work with the games since it indicates it's only compatible with three languages at this point in time.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 PM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

Oh man this rocks. Anyone know what profile this uses? I know it says it may or may not work with other devices In specific I am looking for the HP 2215. I would think it must use a fairly common bluetooth profile in order to increase its compatibility with other devices.

I so want to get rid of my hacked Benq sleeve. (Not designed to use with the 2215 so you have to pull apart the plastic and then push out the connector thus making the 2215 lay in there kind of unsecure).

Scarey thought though... that back support portion looks like it may not be very forgiving with PPC's with extended life batteries... Guess I'll just have to find out.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
AzrealJG
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydidnt
I like the idea, but it doesn't appear to attach to your device. At least I don't see how it does from the limited specs on their site. You'd have to leave your device laying flat on a table, balanced on your lap, or in it's cradle to use this wouldn't you? If that's the case I'm not sure I'm very interested.

I think there must be some sort of software running to make this work with the games since it indicates it's only compatible with three languages at this point in time.
I think the adjustable rubber grips on the inside of each half of the device make it pretty clear that your device goes right in the center, supported by the backplane of the game pad, and held in place by the two halves of the control pad.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDANEWBIE
I know it says it may or may not work with other devices In specific I am looking for the HP 2215.
It does work with the h2215. It's on their compatibility list.

You'll also be able to configure the controls using their Configuration page. Here's an example.