Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 04-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default BenQ Italy Announces the P50

http://www.benq.it/news/index.cfm?year=2005&id=945

BenQ Italy have just announced the P50 on their website. The original announcement is in Italian, but here's a Google translation if you need it. The specifications of this quad-band device are as follows: 2.83" LCD, 64MB ROM, 64MB RAM, integrated Bluetooth, WLAN, IrDA, a 1.3MP camera (with a flash and digital zoom functionality), and finally, a QWERTY keyboard. The 122mm(H) x 60mm(W) x 20mm(D) device weighs in at 170g. Now it's just a matter of waiting for this announcement to be fed to the other BenQ websites.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:32 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

This looks like the Jam with a keyboard.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Vincent M Ferrari
Sage
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via AIM to Vincent M Ferrari Send a message via Skype™ to Vincent M Ferrari

Man do I want this thing.

I wanted it after seeing it at the CES.

I'm almost lusting after it.

I am buying it the day it becomes available in the US.

I will own this by any means necessary.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:57 AM
alabij
Intellectual

Whats up with all this hardware keyboards. I hate them. I bet if we took a poll most people would be against them. Of course it could just be my fingers. The blackberry has the largest built in keyboard yet I still see people struggling to use it.

Back on point.
It's a cool PDA without the keyboard

Old 04-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabij
Whats up with all this hardware keyboards. I hate them. I bet if we took a poll most people would be against them. Of course it could just be my fingers. The blackberry has the largest built in keyboard yet I still see people struggling to use it.

Back on point.
Too bad you don't like keyboards. Personally, I like them and will never go back. You have numerous options for keyboard-less PDAs. Up until the last few months, PPC users had one option only for a keyboarded pda-the 4355. I for one like the fact that we now have more options, and I see the recent surge in keyboard-based PPC's further evidence of growth in the PPC world. So, I say don't be a hater, and embrace the growth of PPC's!

Old 04-18-2005, 05:34 AM
Pinnacle
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Pinnacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabij

Back on point.
Wow, really?!

The keyboard built-in is the big selling point with this device. If all those Blackberry users really struggle with their keyboard, there must be millions of very unhappy users. :wink:

I think wireless devices with built-in keyboards will only become more and more popular...gotta take a completely opposite view than you on that.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:51 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle
Wow, really?!
I can see both sides of the argument here. On one end, you have users who opt for size (i.e. portability) over convenience of input (i.e. keyboard), and on the other end, you have the opposite situation.

Personally, I prefer portability, and I would have loved to see the P50 with a slide-out keyboard, rather than have it bulking out like it is now. But there's always a reason behind everything, and time will tell whether the hype generated over the P50 is a measure of its success.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Pinnacle
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to Pinnacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle
Wow, really?!
I can see both sides of the argument here. On one end, you have users who opt for size (i.e. portability) over convenience of input (i.e. keyboard), and on the other end, you have the opposite situation.

Personally, I prefer portability, and I would have loved to see the P50 with a slide-out keyboard, rather than have it bulking out like it is now. But there's always a reason behind everything, and time will tell whether the hype generated over the P50 is a measure of its success.
I completely agree on the slide-out option in relation to a built-in keyboard. But the above poster was making a judgement on all hardware keyboards, which had nothing to do with portability; it sounded like more of a question of ease of use with a keyboard built into a device. That's what prompted my response with a "Wow."

With a device that has a phone built-in, or any wireless for that matter, I can't understand the notion of someone prefering fingers-on-the-screen (or stylus use) virtual keyboards over hard keys. I'm not putting that preference down, though...to each their own. I just like to use phones one-handed, including convergent devices, and a hardware keyboard is my preference over on-screen input.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:47 AM
yslee
Thinker

No keyboard, no sale! =D

This device has come too late for me though. I ended up buying a new Treo at a very good price. =P

Old 04-18-2005, 07:05 AM
Dave Conger
Sage
Send a message via MSN to Dave Conger

In English:
http://www.benq.us/News/index.cfm?year=2005&id=936

...basically the same thing, but dated 1/6/2005...execpt the US press release says "Available in February 2005, the BenQ P50 PDA Phone comes with an estimated street price of $800.00." Rockin.