Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default More Details, Pictures On HP's hw6500 Mobile Messenger

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/ar...hw6500-en.shtml

"Thanks to our friendly Netherlands resource NieuweMobiel.NL now we can acquaint our readers with live pictures of the device and its official specifications (still not published on official company site). The model is notable for small size, integrated QWERTY-keboard, integrated GPS module and two expansion slots. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) declassified the information about the device last week-end."

The folks over at Mobile-review.com did an excellent job of summarizing and translating the information found over at NieuweMobiel.nl. Lots of nice pics, too, if you want another look. While this device may not be targeted to the power user, if it's stable and has good battery life it might be a great wireless email solution.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: More Details, Pictures On HP's hw6500 Mobile Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
While this device may not be targeted to the power user, if it's stable and has good battery life it might be a great wireless email solution.
Well said, Janak. I don't think this will be very useful to power users, but it could be a big hit for email and other light duties.

Dave

Old 04-08-2005, 02:49 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

That thing looks great!! A definate Blackberry competitor. Would be better if they used a 320x320 display, or even 480x480 to allow full backwards compatibility with 320x240 progs. With 320x320 (like the treo) you could run standard apps with black bars on the side.

Otherwise looks good. Would love a keyboard in my mini, as i often use for msn/email/sms. thats the only thing i really miss from my h4355.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:30 PM
packetstorm
Pupil
Default I don't get it...

what is it about Wifi do these ppl not understand? This device is totally useless to me in and around the office for checking email. And then to have to waste a slot and have a Wifi card sticking out the end takes me back say 2 years. Would have much rather have had BT, Wifi and Edge.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: I don't get it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetstorm
Wifi card sticking out the end.
Worse then that...it sticks out the side.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Darren Blade
Contributing Editor-in-Training
Send a message via Skype™ to Darren Blade

Check the size out... 71mm x 21mm x 118mm !!!!!

This is bigger than the newer Blackberry, and the HTC Magican (Jam/XDA II Mini).

Some nice additions like dual slots and integrated GPS.

I see this device being targeted at the enterprise/field force markets.

Most execs dont want to carry a brick around with them.

IMHO

Old 04-08-2005, 03:46 PM
BUMP THAT
Intellectual

Looks really kool. I would consider to get one if it had stanadard PPC QVGA Screen. But must have been hard to put that on though. Anyone actually considering to get one?

Old 04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Edgar_
Theorist

Its GPRS and EDGE. Plenty of speed for email - considering most BB's are running CDMA or GPRS anyways.

$499 is reasonable for what its providing.

The Avg BB is $299 retail - discounted many places to less than that like $200 or so w/ 2 yr voice and data plan contract - with a $49.99 monthly data charge + your voice plan ($5 discount on voice if you have BB data) - I think it has to be $39.99 minimum to get the discount. Oh and thats Blackberry data only - non-BB wap browsing using a third party browser can increase costs

I have a unlimited cingular data + 500 minute voice + 100 SMS and Im only $60 a month. And my plan is rollover minutes, 200 extra minutes for life, free nights and weekends. So I am quite happy with that.

The PPC does 10x what a BB does. More flexibility and the GPS builtin. Buy a low end GPS only device for $200 or a tomtom BT GPS and a PPC and you are well over $499. Although I understand you only get one map for tomtom with the device - major metro area - so you will need to pay something more to get your complete nation/continent maps.

Yea VGA is nice but geez. You have weight, form factor and price/cost to maufacture to balance. I'll use this first as a phone, second as a GPS and third as a PPC. Ewallet, journal bar (weather basic news) avantgo email (with clearvue or softmaker) and Pocket Informant are my basic apps, rest is gravy. For the same reason wifi would be nice but not critical as long as I get GPRS or Edge.

If it doesnt have all the problems of the 6315 or the MPX220 I think this system will shine. I've had a BB now for 7 years. The technology has barely crawled. Sure some new form factors but their implementation of MAPI causes calendar synch problems, their BES server is a kludge, kludgy/propritary data transfer implementations and they dont seem to care about moving to newer cross platform implementation. They've had 8+ years to innovate, and they haven't. Now with Exchange 2003 and things like Goodlink at cheaper costs and wider platform availability, they'll be losing market share rapidly.

My penny's worth - flame away.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:52 PM
bcries
Pupil
Default blackberry competitor? HA

Okay, I like Pocket PC's; I own one. I've never owned a Blackberry, but I have enough friends working for RIM that do.

Can somebody explain to me how this is even comparable to a Blackberry? Even the old ones? Because sure, HP's form factor is starting to look more like the classic models from RIM, but we all know that push email is what Blackberries are all about.

Push email requires the device be always-on. What kind of battery life will the HP mobile messenger get with GSM on, even with the backlight off? If the radio power drain is anything close to WiFi on another ppc, I just can't see the HP competing.

You wear a Blackberry on your hip, it stays on the whole day, and the batteries are just fine.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:55 PM
packetstorm
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_
Its GPRS and EDGE. Plenty of speed for email - considering most BB's are running CDMA or GPRS anyways.

$499 is reasonable for what its providing.

The Avg BB is $299 retail - discounted many places to less than that like $200 or so w/ 2 yr voice and data plan contract - with a $49.99 monthly data charge + your voice plan ($5 discount on voice if you have BB data) - I think it has to be $39.99 minimum to get the discount. Oh and thats Blackberry data only - non-BB wap browsing using a third party browser can increase costs

I have a unlimited cingular data + 500 minute voice + 100 SMS and Im only $60 a month. And my plan is rollover minutes, 200 extra minutes for life, free nights and weekends. So I am quite happy with that.

The PPC does 10x what a BB does. More flexibility and the GPS builtin. Buy a low end GPS only device for $200 or a tomtom BT GPS and a PPC and you are well over $499. Although I understand you only get one map for tomtom with the device - major metro area - so you will need to pay something more to get your complete nation/continent maps...
My penny's worth - flame away.
No flames here 8)

WiFi is free in my office, as in most and encouraged for use. Honestly for me that is all I care for. The other specs are fine and since I already have a BT GPS receiver, the built in one makes this feature redundant. Kill the GPS or keep it and add WiFi and I'm in, quite happily I might add.