Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default iPAQ hw6500 Features & Stats Released!

http://phonearena.com/htmls/readart...cles.php?id=545

"The latest HP pda/cell phone combo will be manufactured by well know Tawisanese company HTC and will be sold under the HP hw6500 model nuber. Pictures of the device have already leaked on the NET, but this is the first time we have almost full specification on it thank to the recent FCC approval of the HP hw6500. This is the first device we see with 240 x 240 pixels squire display with 2.205 x 2.205 inches screen. As expected the OS is Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 Phone Second Edition with EDGE/GPRS plus support for quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900 Mhz) --- WOW. "

This pair of articles at phoneArena give detailed summary and stats information on our new iPaq friend. While not stating a release date, we had heard rumors that April would be the "go" month for this in the U.S. back in February. Hopefully HP has learned from the 6315 and this device will launch shortly, minus the headaches associated with their last phone edition!

Old 04-04-2005, 07:45 PM
MobilePaddy
Pupil
Default iPAQ hw6500 Features & Stats Released! Carrier

Anyone have any thoughts on who will carry this? Cingular or T-mobile?

Old 04-04-2005, 07:52 PM
JohnJohn
Thinker
Default Re: iPAQ hw6500 Features & Stats Released! Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilePaddy
Anyone have any thoughts on who will carry this? Cingular or T-mobile?
I guess Cingular. They are the only provider that I know of that uses the terminology "EDGE" describing one of their services.

The device is very cool. This is the first article I have seen which talks about it having Bluetooth, which is a plus for me.

There has also been some chatter about is have "PUSH" email technology. This would be a HUGE plus for me also.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM
MobilePaddy
Pupil
Default Re: iPAQ hw6500 Features & Stats Released! Carrier

According to Phonescoop, they said T-mobile are considering a new HP device for 2nd Quarter. http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1146

Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 PM
szamot
Sage

any news as to when this one will get recalled and canceled by the big carriers? :devilboy:

HP "innovation" Yawn.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:43 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

That square screen still bugs me. Text based software may work fine, but fixed width software (like games) may have problems.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:51 PM
serpico
Intellectual

The square screen might be an issue for sure. How would you talk into this, holding it to your head or earpiece ? Cleaning that screen after each conversation would suck ! I still love my 4150 and motorola v400 cell. Works for now. One day HP might "innovate" something to combine both very well or another pocketpc manufacturer.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:31 PM
RobertCF
Ponderer
Default Eeeeewwww

What a horribly ridiculous piece of flotsam. Good grief, HP is hitting the skids now. Stupid thumbboard and square screen. And still holding onto WM2k3. I wouldn't take one of those things if someone gave it to me for free. Ugh!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 PM
cmorris
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico
The square screen might be an issue for sure. How would you talk into this, holding it to your head or earpiece ? Cleaning that screen after each conversation would suck !
How is this different than any other PPC Phone or even BlackBerry? Get a bluetooth headset and you won't turn back!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 PM
cmorris
Intellectual
Default Re: Eeeeewwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCF
What a horribly ridiculous piece of flotsam. Good grief, HP is hitting the skids now. Stupid thumbboard and square screen. And still holding onto WM2k3. I wouldn't take one of those things if someone gave it to me for free. Ugh!
Wow that seems a little harsh. Have you listened in other threads to people who swear by thumbboards? Square screen is necessary to make it a shorter device. And WM2K3 is the latest OS out there last I checked.

That said, I would absolutely hope that this device is designed to upgrade to WM2005 when it comes out. Latest rumors seem to indicate that WM2005 + Exchange SP2 will provide full PUSH capability which would be what it takes to really set this up as a Treo competitor.