Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default NetFront 3.2 Now Available... In Japanese

http://nfppc.access.co.jp/

NetFront 3.2 has finally been released for Pocket PC, but for the vast majority of us Pocket PC users, it's still not a huge reason to be jumping for joy. This version is the Japanese version, and an English version of NetFront 3.2 has still yet to surface. If you're interested in reading about the new features included in Version 3.2, click here. I'll keep you notified if an English version is released.

Old 04-04-2005, 08:06 AM
beq
Oracle

I hope it comes soon. So I'm guessing the big new general enhancement is the Rapid-Render (as I already have Smart-Fit Rendering on my NF 3.1)?

I was also hoping for some improvements such as being able to specify the browser cache location separately...

Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
surur
Mystic

Netfront is by far the best browser on the PPC platform. I hope they come out with the international version soon. There has been such a gap between 3.1 and 3.2 I guess they will be charging full price for the upgrade though.

BTW:bitequator

Apparently Netfront does not use the cache for anything accept off-line browsing, and it slows down the rendering otherwise. If you are not planning to use off-line browsing you might as well deactivate it, especially if you installed it on a slower medium such as rom or removable card.

Surur

Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 AM
beq
Oracle

^ Oh I didn't realize that. So you're saying the Cache size limit configurable under Tools -> Browser Setting is simply referring to the cache storage used for the Auto-Cruise feature? I'd thought the Auto-Cruise storage is a completely separate option (configured under Tools -> Auto-Cruise Setting) -- where I do have it set to use the SD card as storage location.

I'd assumed the abovementioned Cache size limit under Tools -> Browser Setting refers to caching used for online browsing. This is the setting I was originally talking about, because it does not seem to let you specify a cache location separate from the location where NetFront itself is installed...

Old 04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
surur
Mystic

Menneisyys, who loves actually testing these things, found that netfront doesnt actually check the cache for images when it downloading a page, it just downloads it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surur
For this reason I have disabled the cache in netfront (which I have installed in the loox store) as I dont know of any method of moving it to main memory.
That was wise because, as I've pointed out at, for example, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/for...pic.php?t=36376 , storing the NetFront/PIE cache greatly reduces page loading speeds. Furthermore, NetFront only caches stuff for subsequent offline browsing; it doesn't use conditional HTTP requests at all!!

What a lame bug, on my Java / TCP/IP courses (I'm also a lecturer on professional Java and TCP/IP programming) I wouldn't tolerate a semi-advanced HTTP client that contains so big a bug - and that's not even a commercial browser!

(Nevertheless, in most other respects, NetFront is still better than PIE, even version 3.1).
http://www.firstloox.org/forums/show...p;postcount=19

Surur

Old 04-04-2005, 12:50 PM
zetsurin
Ponderer

日本語の勉強になったからよかったです  :lol:

Old 04-04-2005, 12:52 PM
galt
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to galt

ooohh, finally... Hope we see an english release soon. 3.1 is stilll a little crash-happy on my Axim X30, hope there are some bug fixes in this release.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsurin
日本語の勉強になったからよかったです  :lol:
你说的很好

Old 04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
ChuckyRose
Pupil

まあね。日本語の文法を勉強しても漢字が分からなかったら、時間かかりすぎね。このソフトを使えないから、いらないけど、頑張ってね。

ChuckyRose

Old 04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
surur
Mystic

As much fun as it is cutting text from here and pasting it into google translation services, how about we use a common language which most people understand.

I nominate French of course

Surur