Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default The Economist Examines Push Email: Its Time is Coming

http://www.economist.com/displaysto...tory_id=3775141

"The BlackBerry has spawned designer accessories; earned a nickname ("CrackBerry") that reflects its addictive nature; and even has a malady ("BlackBerry Thumb") associated with over-use. But its success means that the Canadian firm that makes it, Research in Motion (RIM), now faces a growing throng of competitors. . . . These guys exist because Microsoft is bad at mobile e-mail,� says Mr Modoff. But the next versions of Microsoft's mail-server and PocketPC software, due in a few months, will include support for BlackBerry-style "push" e-mail, whereby new messages simply appear in the in-box."

This Economist article about push e-mail is a good primer on the current state of the market and what's likely to happen in the near future. There are currently 'only' 2.5 million users who have the pleasure of watching email appear before their eyes and the market is apparently set for massive mainstream growth. The pieces are almost in place and after all, why dial up and check your mail, when it can be immediately sent straight to you?

Old 03-30-2005, 07:55 PM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

No, no, no: "ITS Time Is Coming" (if, in fact, is it).

"It's" is always a contraction of the words "it" and "is". So "It's Time Is Coming" means "It Is Time Is Coming".

I know it sounds nit-picky, but I'm a writer, that's a headline, and I like this website.

P.S. If you make the change, feel free to delete this post.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
xhenxhe
Neophyte

Hamish,

Ugh, it's McDonald, not MacDonald... j/k :devilboy:

Old 03-30-2005, 08:57 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I really don't see the big deal... Can't someone just click on send/receive?

With 'Pushing' e-mail, you basically have to leave your device on all the time. This doesn't make sense to me.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:08 PM
jlp
Pontificator

I saw the grammar mistake too but I'm acustomed with Jonathon :twisted: :wink: (and I made the correction for myself).

OTOH if push mail is like SMS messages that makes your device beep when you get one, I can see the point: you don't have to worry all the time to check it, the device/service sees to it you get it immediately. But yes the corollary is that you have to have your device on at all time for the system to be efficient.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:58 PM
cmorris
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
With 'Pushing' e-mail, you basically have to leave your device on all the time. This doesn't make sense to me.
Aren't cell phones (or similarly connected devices) on all the time anyway?

Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 PM
beq
Oracle

Hadn't Janak and other PPCT eds discussed the AUTD option for current version of Exchange Server (for PPCs and Smartphones)? But your quote of the article says this is only coming in the next version of Microsoft's software? Just curious thanks.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold

Push technology for email is really what I do NOT want at all. I want to decide when I receive emails and not have every spam I recive to annoy me even more.
Can you imagine a little bot in your house that delievers every piece of crap that someone puts in your letterbox immidiately to you while you eat, play with the kids, sleep, pee or whatever? Another invention in the group: how can technology help to destroy a normal life.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp
I saw the grammar mistake too but I'm acustomed with Jonathon :twisted:
Fine. A PM is the usual way to deal with a spelling or gramatical mistake in a front page post. Thank you.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:41 AM
jlp
Pontificator

Why did you have to pick on me particularly? :crazyeyes:

A general remark would be more appropriate, wouldn't it? :wink:

I just made the remark afterwards tho I saw the article when no one had posted yet. :angel: