Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 03-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Charging Up - How Often Do You Do It?

Whenever a new device comes out, one of the issues that we all talk about and debate is the battery life. Sometimes devices with exceptional battery life are deemed unacceptable because of other features, but in general the battery life seems to be something we value in our devices (And for good reason!). But how often do we really use all that battery life? I've used an iPAQ 6315 for many months now, and have only gotten close to it being at less than 10% power once. I normally charge nightly as I sleep, and I believe most users probably cradle their devices at least once a day for an extended length of time.

So fellow PPCT'ers, how often do you charge? How often do you wear down that battery to critical levels? And if you don't get it down to a critical level, do you think the battery capacity should be as important an issue with a device as it sometimes is?

Old 03-09-2005, 04:06 PM
piperpilot
Sage

When I'm at work, my iPAQ 5455 is always in its cradle (unless I have a meeting). In the car, I have it plugged into the cigarette lighter--I use it to listen to recorded radio shows via Replay Player. At home, it usually doesn't get charged until I go to bed at night. While on travel, I have amassed five batteries to get me through long overseas or cross-country flights.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:15 PM
surur
Mystic

Why do you not have a two-three times/day option? I charge during my lunch time, overnight in the cradle, and if it is not in my hand its in the cradle in thr evening.

Because of the grave consequences of a fully drained battery I would get extremely wary of further use of my pocketpc if the battery meter goes below 40%. Havind the hard reset issue sorted out will almost double my usable run-time on my pocketpc.

Surur

Old 03-09-2005, 04:23 PM
CrashX
Ponderer

Hi Jon,

Like you, I have the h6315, and have rarely taken the battery level below 10% (though it has happened). I usually connect it to my laptop using a sync/charge cable each night, and only cradle it when I need to sync with my desktop (almost never).

I'd have to say that after an average day of use, the charge is down to about 65% without using WiFi, and 45% using WiFi heavily. I can probably go two full days with average use before I need to charge it, but I like knowing that I'm starting the day off with a full charge. One thing I've noticed is that the h6315's battery life is comparable to my previous PDA, a Sony Clie NZ90, and that didn't have a GPRS radio and it's Bluetooth radio was disabled at all times.

All in all, I've been quite pleased with my iPAQ, and it's my first PPC. I haven't expereinced any of the problems with it that I've read about in these forums.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:25 PM
KTamas
Thinker

Everytime i can, sometimes all day i the cradle.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

A charge a day keeps the doctor away. :mrgreen:

Old 03-09-2005, 04:39 PM
webdaemon
Ponderer

It's in the cradle all day at work unless I go out, then when I get home I plug it in when I'm not using it.

I've lost all power, and the information, twice and I don't want to go through that again.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:40 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Probably every other day. I am not scared to run down to about 5% power regularly. I use Wi-Fi a fair bit, but also read obsessively - at least 3 hours a day, often much more.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:47 PM
dma1965
Thinker

I used to keep my SX66 in the cradle or on a travel charger when I was not using it, after I found the 1490ma battery was going down to about 40% during a day's use (Bluetooth always on, phone calls, reminders, etc.), but after I got the Mugen 2200ma battery, which, amazingly enough, does not add any noticeable thickness (it fills in the scalloped in portion the default battery has on it), still fits my PielFrama case and cradle with no alterations, and allows me to use my device with impunity and take it home with about 70% charge left at the end of the day. I no longer panic if I leave the house without a charger. Best $79 I ever spent! 8)

Old 03-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Don't Panic!
Oracle

I'm the what "You have to charge these things" vote. Nothing in the poll fits my usage. I charge via USB when at work but I frequently diconnect to dosomething. I charge at home most of the time but again If I leave that room I take it e with me. How about a I charge whenever I can option?