Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Pocket PC Magazine's 2005 Best of Everything CD Now Available

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/store/asp/aboutcd.asp

" The 2005 Best of Everything CD collection includes demo versions of 100 winning and finalist products from the 2004 Pocket PC magazine Best Software Awards. New this year: At an incredible price, you can purchase the CD with rights to register all the award-winning software on the collection."

It's $429, which ain't cheap. 8O But even more impressive is that, with purchase, you get access to registration codes for all the software on the CD -- about $2,300 worth. If you're the ultimate Pocket PC software user, or if you're ready to start your own reviews site, this CD might just be for you.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster

:jawdrop:

That's a sweet deal for the luxury PPC owner

Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

Hmmm.. you can't even find out what is on the CD without buying it.. that's irritating.

At least you can return it if you don't like what is on the CD.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:50 PM
sponge
Philosopher

Solution in search of a problem. Would've been far more reasonable if it had fewer, more essential programs rather than throwing everything they got.

Old 03-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Kevin Remhof
Intellectual

Sounds like an incredible ripoff to me. I'd be shocked if they sold more than 10 of these.

OK, I'm ranting but I just don't get it. $429 can buy a lot of software. Besides, most Pocket PC titles are under $20. If you're starting your own review site, keep in mind that most publishers will give you a free review copy of their applications.

Man, this just seems ridiculous. Maybe some people with extra cash (aka not me) would be up for this...

Old 03-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob
Hmmm.. you can't even find out what is on the CD without buying it.. that's irritating.
It contains all the "best of" software from 2004. Look at the Pocket PC Mag website to see the winners.

--janak

Old 03-03-2005, 09:18 PM
ctitanic
Oracle

The CD includes everything marked with WINNER and FINALIST in this list.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/awards/category_all_2004.asp

About the price, it's a matter of checking what you are willing to buy/own from that list and compare if the total on your list is greater or not than 400

Old 03-03-2005, 10:43 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob

At least you can return it if you don't like what is on the CD.
You can see what's included by clicking on CLICK HERE in the "What's on the CD Box" in the upper right hand corner of the page. Then Click on "HERE" in the text above the user name and password box. This is the link I get, but i'm not sure if it will work: http://www.ppcmag.com/SuperCD/CRegister.aspx?v=v

Not everything that is a Finalist is included, I don't see Vindigo, Mapopolis or any of the developer tools plus quite a few other Finalists on this list. But there are more games included than I expected also. They throw in some things like a free subrsciption to the mag too. This might be a decent deal if you were new to PocketPC's and KNEW you wanted to be a power user. However, I've already bought and paid for so many of the included titles it really limits its usefulness.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:46 PM
LarDude
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Remhof
Sounds like an incredible ripoff to me. I'd be shocked if they sold more than 10 of these.
I couldn't agree more. It smacks of desperation. Gives the impression that PocketPCMag may be in trouble financially?

Old 03-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

This thread made me wonder how much money I've spent on Pocket PC Programs, so I fired up MS Money and ran a report of all my handango purchases. The total: $478 since 11/20/2003 (The largest I ever spent was $46, smallest was $5, and 22 transactions in all).

Which brings me to my point: if I had the ability to see the future and was just starting out in PPCs, I'd know that most of the programs I would buy (At least $300 worth) in the future are on this $429 CD now. If I buy the CD, I'll probably find at least $129 of great software that I normally wouldn't have found or tried, or would have found and ended up registering later.

So if you know what you're going to buy before you buy it, this CD would actually save someone a lot of money. The problem is, none of us knew quite how addicting and expensive the $20 here and $10 here software habit would be to us!