Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM
Steve Sharp
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Steve Sharp Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Sharp
Default Spb Pocket Plus 2.5: How Good Does it Get?

Product Category: Utility
Manufacturer: Spb Software House
Where to Buy: Handango [Affiliate]
Price: $19.95 USD (Upgrading from version 2.0 is free, and upgrading from version 1.x is $9.95)
System Requirements: Works with Microsoft Pocket PC 2002, or any Windows Mobile 2003 device, requires 1.6 megabytes of storage space and must be installed to main memory.

Pros:
  • Easy to download and install;
  • Pocket Plus 2.5 adds enhanced navigation;
  • Supports quickly switching between SPB products;
  • Features expanded support for .ZIP file functions;
  • Offers enhanced Today screen functions;
  • Improves functionality and adds features to Windows Explorer.
Cons:
  • The program has no built-in help;
  • The help is only available in .pdf format and must be downloaded from Spb's website.
Summary:
For those who are unfamiliar with Spb Pocket Plus, it is best described as a utility that adds convenient features and monitors, such as battery charge level and memory usage, to a Pocket PC's Today screen. The beauty of Pocket Plus, for me, lies in the fact that it keeps me and my pea brain from having to navigate through menus and settings in order to find functions and applications on my Pocket PC. We'll take a look at this program and talk about the many features, old and new. So, kick back for a few minutes, and I'll tell you what you get with Spb Pocket Plus 2.5 and what it can do for you.

Read on for the full review!

Figure 1: With over twenty free Extended Themes, and the power to arrange and customize the features that you use most, there's no limit to the possibilities.

Just Another Pocket PC Utility?
Is a '65 Mustang just another car? No, it's not only functional, it looks good while doing its thing, just like Spb Pocket Plus 2.5. In fact, with the eight extended themes that are included with the software and a free add-on pack that contains 13 more themes, plus skin support, you can make your Today screen look however you wish. In fact, as you'll notice in Figure 7, there's even a Pocket PC Thoughts theme available for download. Each extended theme even has its own unique set of icons.

• Spb Pocket Plus 2.5 supports mulitple instances of Internet Explorer being open simultaneously;
  • Detects and creates tabs for other Spb products, and integrates those tabs into the Today screen;
  • Enables the user to format storage cards;
  • Allows viewing/modifying file or folder properties from File Explorer;
  • Facilitates quick switching between programs.
So, I Can Make My Pocket PC Today Screen Pretty, Then What?
While it's nice to be able to customize the appearance of your Today screen, some other Pocket PC utilities do little more than fill your display with goo-gaws that don't seem to serve much purpose, and this is where Pocket Plus differs from those. For a serious utiliity, such as Pocket Plus 2.5, it can't just be about looks, can it?

To gain much merit as a utility, in my book, the application must be easy to use, provide features that work properly and serve a real purpose, have enough features to warrant the price of the software, and provide good value for the money when compared to other programs in the same class or category. Make no mistake, Pocket Plus 2.5 is not simply overdone eye-candy that can make your Pocket PC look different or that dresses up an otherwise boring Today screen.

Want to adjust the backlighting? Need to do a soft reset? Want to pop open a game of solitaire? Check your e-mail? Set your clock? You can do all of these things, and more, from the Today screen. Yet, even with Pocket Plus on your Pocket PC, you can still do things the same old way that you always did, if you want to. The program doesn't alter the location of your shortcuts or applications; Pocket Plus simply provides enhancement to existing functions, and additional features that simplify getting the most out of all that a Pocket PC has to offer.

Figure 2: Pocket Plus puts monitors and icons right on my sporty Pocket PC Thoughts-themed Today screen. Also, notice the "Main," "Connect," and "System" tabs in the middle of the screen.

What Can Pocket Plus 2.5 Do for Me?
While it's no good for clearing up acne and it's totally useless for helping shed those post-holiday pounds, Spb Pocket Plus 2.5 can benefit any Pocket PC user. Back in the days of yore, shortly after I got my first Pocket PC, I heard of Pocket Plus through some of friends. They had Pocket Plus on their Pocket PCs and were all giddy about it (it wasn't a pretty sight). So, I knew that it had won some awards, and I saw some reviews by some technogeeks singing its praises. Big deal, I thought. One day, while feeling unusually adventurous and ambitioius, I decided to download a trial version, and then I finally saw why so many people hold Pocket Plus in high regard. Among my list of shortcomings, which includes big ears and an irrational dislike for country music, I have the navigtational skills of those brown beetles that contantly slam into the side of my house on summer evenings.

My point, you ask? Pocket Plus removes the need to remember where to find those obsure applications and settings that we feel inclined to play with, from time to time. Everything is right there, on my Today screen. If most of us would agree that we bought a Pocket PC to organize and simplify our contacts and keep track of things, then how valuable is a program that simplifies using the Pocket PC? This simplification has a lot do with why I find Pocket Plus to be, perhaps, the most important application on my Pocket PC.

Although Figure 2 and Figure 3 illustrate the default set of applications and settings that are grouped under the Today screen tabs, the tabs are totally configurable. Choose from small or large icons, drag icons from one tab to another, remove or add icons, rename or resize the tabs themselves... etc. You can even put icons for every application on your Pocket PC on your Today screen, if you're feeling wacky and get the urge. You decide what appears on your screen and how it's arranged. This is a key element that makes Pocket Plus such a powerful utility.

Figure 3: The default applications accessible under the Today screen's "Connect" tab include Internet Explorer, E-mail client, Active Sync, Infrared, and modem connections.

Figure 4: The default applications accessible under the "System" tab includes, among others things, soft reset, regional settings, menu settings, button mapping, and add/remove programs.

It's a Utility... What's the Big Deal?
Aside from the configurable Today screen, (as if that wasn't enough), Pocket Plus features add-ons that enhance the way that applications included in the OS function. With Pocket Plus installed, clicking the "x" button in the top right corner of an application actually closes the application instead of minimizing it. Clicking and holding the "x" buttion shows a list of running applications, and you can immediately switch to another application by selecting it from the list. Similarly, with Pocket Plus installed, you can open multiple browser instances of Internet Explorer and quickly switch between them. File Explorer gains the convenience of a "folder up one level" function for easier navigation, and clicking and holding any file or folder opens a menu that adds "properties" the list of things that you can view or modify. Spb mentions that their intention for Pocket Plus 2.5 is to add features and functionality that should have been part of the OS, but were left out. Pocket Plus integrates so well into the OS, in fact, that it doesn't really feel or look like an add-on program at all.

Figure 5: Add files to a ZIP archive with one click.

Whoa! I've Heard that Something Would Make Life Simpler, About a Hundred Times Before!
Yes. There are so many products that make bold claims, and then don't live up to their billing (Yeah, I got burned on the Ginsu knives and the food processor too). So, put those bad memories of your first Flowbee haircut behind you, and rest assured that there are still some products out there that works as they're supposed to, and know that Pocket Plus 2.5 is one of them.

Figure 6: Pocket Plus 2.5 supports full-screen web browsing.

Are You an Old Hand with Pocket Plus?
After installing and having a gander at Spb Pocket Plus 2.5, nothing dramatic immediately jumps out as being different from version 2.0. Maybe some will see this as a good thing, maybe some won't. The changes are there, but you have to pay attention. Spb says that it incorporated "dozens" of bug fixes into version 2.5, although I never noticed version 2.0 being all that buggy. Granted, I have only had about 10 days to use version 2.5, in preparation for this review, but I haven't found any problems or bugs in this version.

Figure 7: Pocket Plus 2.5 adds a new icon to Internet Explorer--view source, open multiple pages, or save content with this new feature.

Conclusions
Let's face it, there is a sea of products that claim to make life simpler, faster, more efficient, better, etc.; utilities being marketed for Pocket PCs are no different. You could buy a program to make it easier to play with your themes. You could buy a utility that will allow you to format a storage card. And, you could buy a utility that makes navigation a bit easier. But, why bother buying all of these separate programs when you can get all of them in one? Those who aren't eligible for a discounted upgrade may balk at the $19.95 price tag. However, I've found that most users of Pocket Plus become so accustomed to the features, it's something that they just don't want to be without.

Spb Pocket Plus 2.5 gets high marks for its seamless integration with the OS. Everything works as it's supposed to, and nearly all of the functions and setup options are self-explanatory. You can get a free trial download from Spb, PocketGear or Handango. If you give Spb Pocket Plus 2.5 a fair chance, I feel confident that you'll become a fan of this fine program.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:50 PM
BUMP THAT
Intellectual

Oh yes I was thiningabout his. Now I am really, really going to get it. Thank you very much for helping me make up my mind. :wink:

Old 03-23-2005, 08:56 PM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

I used Pocket Plus for almost 2 years and uninstalled finally last month. tdlaunch is good enough.

From Pocket Plus 2.1, it slows down system, esp WM2003SE, too much. It can only install in main memory, which took a big chunk of RAM. I never use the file explorer properites since I have resco explorer, which works much better. I don't use the task manager either, since wisbar (not the advanced) does a much better job. The today plugin looks good, but it takes too much CPU resource.

The battery bar is really nice, but it always come after my wisbar, so I didn't use it.

The only things I miss from Pocket Plus is the reminder, which is really nice.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:09 PM
GadgetMan
Intellectual

I too finally decided to ger rid of this piece of bloatware. As a result I have 4 MB of more RAM available (2 MB in storage and 2 MB in running programs), and much more stable (not to mention faster booting) iPaq.

As to the repeated reminders, I now use freeware apReminder+. Takes a tiny fraction of memory and works like a charm. You can find it at:

http://www.apsoftsystems.com/

Cheers,

Old 03-23-2005, 09:18 PM
drop
Thinker

Spb Pocket Plus is one of the must have for me. No problem whatsoever from the get go.

Good review!

Thank you.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:54 PM
theipaqlover
Neophyte

I loaded V2.5. It locked up my Today screen which eventually led to a hard reset. I had PI today and cLaunch running at the time. They are more important to me so I did not try it again.

George

Old 03-23-2005, 10:01 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

No problems on a 4150 and now runs with aplomb on a 2750.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:17 PM
BUMP THAT
Intellectual

Wow didnt know it took that much space up.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
beq
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangzhinong
I don't use the task manager either, since wisbar (not the advanced) does a much better job.
Hmm that's interesting. I've been waiting for Wisbar Advance 2 to support my new PPC Phone Edition device, but I didn't even think of the original Wisbar (from some Japanese author if my memory serves). Perhaps I should give the original a try again, like I used to with my old iPAQs

Anyways I too use Pocket Plus but admit a good chunk of its applet functions are rendered moot by other apps I also use (as also mentioned by others here). Actually I still have both Pocket Plus and Battery Pack Pro loaded, I should unload at least one of them...

Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

I use to struggle with performance as well.
Then I upgraded PocketPlus and went to the latest WisbarAdvanced2 beta.

Startup is slower because WA2 is caching icons. But after that its all screaming. Relatively speaking. Metaphorically.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii