Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung i730 To Come In March?

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2427

"Recent conversations with Samsung have resulted in strong hints on the part of the company's representatives that Samsung intends to announce the release of the i730 PocketPC phone at the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association trade show in mid-March. This is consistent with earlier reports we've heard concerning a possible mid-to-late March release date for the i730 on Verizon Wireless."

We've posted on the i730 before; it's slated to have CDMA 1xEV-DO, integrated thumbboard, Bluetooth, and maybe WiFi. I'm keeping an eye out for this one, because it has such a compact formfactor. 8)

Old 02-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Damn, if such a thing came out I'd just have to have one...damn! I'll have to buy it. No choice. It's not fair. The only problem is, what about Magneto?

Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Charles Pickrell
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Raia
The only problem is, what about Magneto?
Don't forget Verizon's pension for disabling bluetooth profiles in their devices.
www.mobilecomputingsig.com

Old 02-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Jerry Raia
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Pickrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Raia
The only problem is, what about Magneto?
Don't forget Verizon's pension for disabling bluetooth profiles in their devices.
That would be criminal on a device like this. :snipersmile: Verizon

Old 02-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Raphael Salgado
Thinker
Send a message via ICQ to Raphael Salgado Send a message via AIM to Raphael Salgado Send a message via MSN to Raphael Salgado Send a message via Yahoo to Raphael Salgado

I have to admit, after the fiascos with frustrating ownership of two of Samsung's latest products at the time, I do not think I'll ever be an early adopter of Samsung products again.

Most visitors here and at PDAPhoneHome.com were pretty miffed about the handling of the SPH-i700 Pocket PC Phone upgrade to Windows Mobile 2003 between Samsung and Verizon, being much delayed and still buggy out the doors. Also, Samsung's refusal to release drivers, software, information on their rotating camera made it impossible to implement Microsoft Portrait or write software that could make the camera more useful and the device ultimately more worth buying or keeping. With Express Network 1xRTT speeds, videoconferencing was right at Samsung's front door.

The Samsung Napster YP-910GS portable MP3 player was touted to have a plethora of features, including integrated FM transmission to a nearby receiver for wireless output, FM recording to MP3, WMA support, and more. However, after I threw on a huge collection on the 20GB device, I noticed I could not access more than 2,000 songs. A call to their floundering tech support revealed that 2,000 was the most the database could handle, even though one could store an average of up to 5,000 MP3 or 10,000 WMA songs on it. Firmware updates would be handled only through Napster.com and their often crashing proprietary media player-library handler-online store software. The advertised USB 2.0 transfers, but because you must use their software or a WMP plug-in to transfer the software, the transfer rate was reduced to 25% of the full USB 2.0 throughput. Lastly, Tech Support mentioned that the ability to handle more than 2,000 songs at a time would be addressed in a future device. Give me a break!

Thanks, Samsung. I'll pass.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:49 PM
murph
Ponderer

has anyone gotten to touch this device? engadget.com likes the device, but is down on the keyboard.

i think this one sweet PPC. i'm concerned about the keyboard, so i'll need to touch it myself. if it comes to market with wi-fi and bluetooth fully enabled i might switch to Verizon. i'm still on Tmobile GPRS, so upgrading to EDGE would be HUGE.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Macguy59
Mystic

This or the Audiovox just might be the ticket to lure me back to Windows Mobile

Old 02-28-2005, 02:13 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

Man, that Engadget guy is rough. He doesn't like the keyboard, so now he doesn't care about it anymore. Yikes. Because you know, there are so many top end PocketPC phones to choose from, so let's put every one that has one negative into the garbage (that's sarscasm)

Old 02-28-2005, 02:44 AM
Chairman Clench
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme
I'm with you on this one. My roommate just got the Audiovox on Verizon, but I am waiting to see how much smaller the Samsung is. I would really like 1 device.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Macguy59
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Clench
Quote:
Originally Posted by byteme
I'm with you on this one. My roommate just got the Audiovox on Verizon, but I am waiting to see how much smaller the Samsung is. I would really like 1 device.
Well I jumped ship in favor of the Treo 600 because of it's size, form factor and qwerty keyboard. Like you I'm searching for that perfect all-in-one device and I really do like Windows Mobile better then Palm OS 5.x. I used the Samsung i600 for a year but couldn't live with the too small screen and terrible key entry. I was pretty close to buying the Audiovox but if this new Samsung will actually have working BT and Wi-Fi . . . then I'll most certainly wait.