Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Cell Phone Jammer Use On The Rise

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/40168.htm

"Unsuspecting cellphone users may find themselves saying that more often now that cellphone jammers � illegal gizmos that interfere with signals and cut off reception � are selling like hotcakes on the streets of New York. "I bought one online, and I love it," said one jammer owner fed up with the din of dumb conversations and rock-and-roll ringtones. "I use it on the bus all the time. I always zap the idiots who discuss what they want from the Chinese restaurant so that everyone can hear them. Why is that necessary?"

A part of me can sympathize with users of a jammer. I got behind some guy at the dry cleaners the other day and the man behind the counter was unable to conduct business with the guy because he kept saying "pardon me" and yammering away with someone at this office. Meanwhile, the line behind him was growing, and I was in it. If I had access to a jammer, I'd have flipped it on. :devilboy:

Still, it is illegal and can cause a risk to lives because they interfere with emergency equipment. It wouldn't be a problem if people were just considerate and wouldn't talk so loudly and just blather on and on about nothing in the middle of public places. :?

Old 02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
shawnc
Pontificator

I know its wrong, both legally and morally, I also know people have a right to hold conversations in public places in whatever manner they please, but if I could get my hands on one of these I would buy one in a New York minute. Inconsiderate, rude people tend to drive reasonable people to act unreasonably.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher

I can see how someone would be mad, but I think that these jammers are just as likely to get someone mad as well! Even if I had one, I would only use it in extreme situations. I find nothign wrong with people yakking on thier phone on the bus, so long as they are quite about it. I tend to not use my phone on the bus because sometimes it just is difficult to use it on the bus because of the bus. Buses are the noisiest things concerning RF and I have had many a dropped call when on the bus.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM
juni
Sage

Quote:
...and I have had many a dropped call when on the bus
Maybe you got jammed?

Old 02-21-2005, 02:29 PM
PDANEWBIE
Thinker

OMG where do you buy these jammers... I wouldn't use it on others.... I would just use it on my wife to get a meal where we actually talk without her answering her cell! That and the fact that she has thought about implanting a phone earbud and mic into the side of her head!

Sign me up for any law that says its okay for one spouse to jam another spose in order to have a decient conversation!

Old 02-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Silver5
Intellectual

This isn't about technology, this is about people. People are generally not that sensible, nor sensitive to others around them, and will do whatever they feel is pleasing at the time. My main issue with cell phones is that people show more respect to the person on the other end of the line than they show to the people in front of their face. I don't like the idea of jammers. They are going to end up causing problems instead of really helping, but I really do understand why people would want them.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:20 PM
ppc_kiwi
Pupil
Default Jammers

While it has merits, the demerits out weights the merits. I can see a dummy accidentally activating a jammer while on a plane. Or on a live 911 nearby, somebody jams a call intended for another and jamming instead the 911 call...etc.. And so the reason why it's illegal to purchase jammers. (IMHO) 8O

Old 02-21-2005, 04:14 PM
dedman
Neophyte
Default use in movie theaters

I would love to see this kind of thing used "legally" in movie theaters!!! I don't think I've been to a movie in the past 3 years that at least one cell phone hasn't gone off.

Old 02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
scottb100
Neophyte

Do a google search and you will find many.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Jonathan1
Pontificator

Hmm now if they can invent one that also jams iPods I'd be one happy fellow. Had some idiot standing at the fast food counter at the Mall of America ordering food while they were listening to something. It took about 15 seconds for the rep to actually tell the person how much their bill was. She ended up pointing to the LCD on the reg. She and I both had A LOOK as the idiot walked off. :?

I would give such a crap about cell phones, PDAs, and, iPods if it wasn't for the fact that common courtesy seems to have gone right out the freaking window.

Seem the only way to get people to act a tad decent is to at least force their hardware to be. That shouldn't be the cause but here we are. :worried: I see rude people everywhere. They are rude. They just don�t know they are rude and don�t care.