Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Jonathon Watkins
Swami
Default Dell Axim X50's Lethal Cradle?

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/show...ead.php?t=69777

There's a worrying report over at Aximsite that 15% of Dell Axim 50's sold to Aximsite users since October exhibit problems related to their cradles. The figure is taken from an Aximsite poll with just over 200 responses. The cradles are shorting and causing either spontaneous reboots or, in many cases, burned out USB controllers on the motherboards of the host computers. Apparently some folks have had 2 consecutive motherboards rendered non-functional as a result of the problem. It appears that connecting the cradle to a powered hub may provide protection to the motherboard. Dell has not as yet commented on the issue. Have you guys had any similar problems with your X50 cradles or is everything just ticking over as expected?

Old 02-19-2005, 01:21 PM
jonathanchoo
Theorist

I remember my old h4150, when inserted into its cradle, would reboot my PC (EpoX 8RDA+ mobo) every once (maybe twice a month) in a while.

No permanent damages though.

Edit: It also causes the dreaded blue screen of death sometimes.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:13 PM
KuroNeko
Intellectual

Jonathanchoo, what you describe sounds like voltage feedback - a current on the mass or one of the datalines of the USB bus that's not supposed to be there. This can happen with poorly designed self-powered USB devices.

This should normally not cause damage to the mainboard though, just may lead to a crashing PC. What the Axim cradle must be doing to actually destroy mainboards is create an actual shortcut or really excessive power demand.

A decent powered USB hub may protect against it. A good hub will disable a port that demands over 500mA of current. But if it is an actual 100% shortcut, not a rising power demand, the hub may fry and take the host controller with it anyway - depends on the hub quality.

Neko

Old 02-19-2005, 04:37 PM
hamishmacdonald
Thinker

Since using the Dell Axim cradle supplied with an x50v, when I plug a USB 2.0 device into either of my high-speed ports, I get a message saying, "This device could work faster in a high-speed port" (or something like that).

Old 02-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Deemo
Intellectual

Questionable Dell build quality rears it's ugly head again.
Glad I stuck with HP!

Can you imagine the usual hassle with Dell Support trying to prove this one 8O

Old 02-19-2005, 05:50 PM
F_B_i
Neophyte

I had those reboot problems also - whenever I tried to softreset the device while it was in the cradle it restarted my computer... I had my cradle connected to USB hub, I pluged it later striaght to PC USB connector and no more unexpected reboots for me. Also I did not sustain any damage to my computer.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:53 PM
rapster
Pupil

I use my cradle only for charging, so it's not connected to my PC (I sync via Bluetooth exclusively).

Old 02-19-2005, 07:40 PM
x999x
Intellectual

Wow, hard to believe that awesome looking cradle has problems... I mean that thing is like the Deathstar of cradles!

Old 02-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Hugh Nano
Intellectual

No noticeable problems so far with my x50v cradle - hope that continues... Plenty of problems with the x50v itself, though! The ROM upgrade helped, but still hasn't entirely solved network card/bluetooth driver problems... Wonder if iPAQ loyalists are experiencing fewer difficulties...

Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 PM
drop
Thinker

No problem to report.