Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Developer

Old 02-15-2005, 05:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Mozilla Minimo Under Development For Windows CE

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback...ml?article=6072

"Lead Minimo developer Doug Turner has confirmed that he is working on a Windows CE version of Minimo. Minimo is a version of Mozilla for small devices, which up until now has been built for Linux-based PDAs. Microsoft's Windows CE operating system is the basis of the Windows Mobile platform, which powers a variety of Pocket PCs and Smartphones. Windows CE builds of Minimo are expected in a few weeks. Doug is looking for help too: 'So, here is a general call for Windows CE developers! If you are interested in Mozilla on Windows CE and have time to help me with some of the work, please drop me a line.'"

This is great news. If any of you Pocket PC developers amongst the crowd want to participate, click through and drop him a line. I'd love to see Minimo hit Pocket PCs -- Pocket IE isn't quite flexible or powerful enough for my tastes.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:33 PM
gorkon280
Philosopher

My god is this great news. Pocket IE totally sucks. It's better then say, the new AvantGo CLient( :devilboy: ) but we have LONG needed a better (and free) browser for Pocket PC and I am willing to give up the RAM to use it.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

Even though I am fairly happy with NetFront as my browser of choice I would love to see this come to the Pocket PC. An open source project of this importance to the platform (especially given the obvious limits of PIE ) would be great to see .

Old 02-15-2005, 06:13 PM
stlbud
Intellectual

I guess this is a chicken or egg kind of thing. There have been other browsers for Pocket PC but they all suffer from an extreme lack of content on the web. Not to mention the difficulty and expense of gaining access to the web in the first place. I hope this interest brings a renewed interest in developing web content for a small screen. It seems that there are fewer sites supporting a Pocket PC every day. Even sites that are supposed to be Pocket PC Centric (if that's a valid term) have dropped their Pocket PC formatted pages. Thank goodness Pocket PC Thoughts is not one of them.

Bill B.

Zune Tag - therealstlbud

Old 02-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Stephen Beesley
Thoughts Media Review Team

I have actually been finding a lack of PPC formated sites not to be a problem since I have been using NetFont. Most sites seem to render pretty well.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:43 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Sweet! This would resolve one of the Pocket PC's most glaring weaknesses: the lousy Pocket IE.

(The other IMHO, the lack of HTML email, is solved by WebIS's @Mail.)

Old 02-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Wiggster
Philosopher
Send a message via AIM to Wiggster Send a message via MSN to Wiggster
Default Re: Mozilla Minimo Under Development For Windows CE

I think it's about time to PayPal some funds to that there Minimo team :wink:

Old 02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
kanoswrx
Neophyte

Thank god they are working on this, the Pocket IE is so bad. I will gladly give them some money for a firefox type browser on the ppc.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Paragon
Magi

Ok, so who has used Minimo on other platforms such as Linux? What do you guys think of it? Is it time to get excited or not?

Dave

Old 02-16-2005, 12:58 AM
lorettaboy
Pupil

Yeah, that's a great question. Does anybody have a link to a review of minimo for linux devices?